Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canals of Galway

Options
  • 31-01-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the names of the canals around galway? I know that the canal along canal road from the claddagh basin is the Eglington canal but what are the rest of them. Maybe a map of them would be handy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

map.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Cheers RKM, but I did find that map but cant read the names on the canals, they are too small and when enlarged, too distorted. Thanks anyway for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Click on it to see the table. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulh19

Vulcan, see the table at the end of the page linked by that picture...
    http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/history/waterways/

Is that any use?

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The City Council had a public consultation last year on officially naming the canals for tourism signage. I can't recall most of the names, but I remember there was a disagreement over the Slaughter House River. This is the original name of the canal by Newtownsmith, but people nowadays don't like that name, so I think they were going to call it either Clare's River, after the Poor Clares, or after Nora Barnacle. Either way, its better than Eastern Conduit, which was its official name...
    Think one was also called the Distillery Stream. In fact IIRC most were named for the industries they were built for or that made most use of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One day I'll get a canoe and go around the city on the canals.
    Or maybe a
    Pedal%20Boat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

nah.

use one of these

MCODOLP21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Technically, the Eglinton canal is the only canal in Galway, it was built back in the 1840s as part of the Drainage and Navigation improvements of Loughs Carra, Corrib and Mask by Alexander Nimmo. The rest are all mill races, or natural rivers and streams. Interestingly enough (to me at least), Galway had electrical power before London, due in part to the massive potential for hydroelectricity here, with at one point 29 mills running in Galway.

Naming them for tourism is a bit ghey imo. It's nicer to have colloquial names for them that naming them after people like the fcuking roundabouts.
    Aye Distillery stream is a natural one that flows through upper Newcastle into NUI, Galway down by the creche, named after the Distillery whose name escapes me at the minute.
    Pierse's and Burke's Distillery were at one point on the one that flows parallel to the Corrib, where Jury's is now, and behind St Pats respectively.

[edit] Bollocks, that link has a lot of the same info. The waterways have a pretty interesting history, fair play for taking an interest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you have any interest in the history of Galway's waterways and the Corrib in general, I recommend you pick up a copy of any of Maurice Semple's books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Anyone know if it's possible to canoe the canals & millraces? Anyone agree that we have to start thinking of the canals & millraces again as local conduits and as integral parts of this town.. as of now they're not valued or respected at all by anyone which is mad as this town could turn to it's waterways as Amsterdam or Utrecht have and develop them for local recreation as well as a badly needed city tourist activity!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

That's not actually true, the two kayak clubs in Galway use the entire canal as their training ground, from the CR&YC right down to the back of the Roisin. I wouldn't agree that we have to start using them as actual conduits. They're handy for pleasure and recreation, but not for anything else, especially the mill races, as they're blocked every few hundred yards with gates, low bridges, buildings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Which one's the Feckan?

Heard a guy saying to his friend "what am I going to do with this old bike?"

"Throw it in the Feckan Canal"

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The Galway Canals never fail to amaze me, amazing waterways imho

wet-paint - thanks for that info, really interesting. I'd love if someone who actually knew everything about every aspect of the canal(s) in Galway would give a guided tour - he'd make a small fortune

If anyone has any online articles i'd appreciate a link

I agree with Robbo, if you want to get a good historical insight to Lough Corrib and the people who used it in the early 1900's then Maurice Semple's books are a must

It's such a pitty that the Canal's have lost their purpose, it would be amazing if the canal was used again for navigation between Corrib => Claddagh but it would be a huge project with the fixed bridges etc. I know the Corrib Na vigat ion Trustees are tidying up the banks of the canal but imho it should be the Council doing this and the Trustees should stick to current navigation projects
    ie. The Canal isint used for navigation anymore

Hah, I had plans to go round and interview Maurice Semple about them, as he seems more focussed on them than Peadar O Dowd, until I found out he was long dead, it's only his office that's still there beside the courthouse. I still might contact O Dowd. I've stuff to look up about the history of the old buildings around college - the bar, the IMI, fisheries field, Hygeia etc and he'd be a great source of knowledge and hopefully photographs.
    I read up on the canal system a good bit before, when I used give tours of the town to foreign students, but it's all gone now again. I agree, they're really interesting, and I'd also love if they hadn't gotten rid of the swing bridges. Galway'd be a hub of marine tourism now if it hadn't, and I'd say the canal'd be a lot cleaner and more popular.
    If only, sure.

wet-paint wrote: »
    Hah, I had plans to go round and interview Maurice Semple about them, as he seems more focussed on them than Peadar O Dowd, until I found out he was long dead, it's only his office that's still there beside the courthouse. I still might contact O Dowd. I've stuff to look up about the history of the old buildings around college - the bar, the IMI, fisheries field, Hygeia etc and he'd be a great source of knowledge and hopefully photographs.
    I read up on the canal system a good bit before, when I used give tours of the town to foreign students, but it's all gone now again. I agree, they're really interesting, and I'd also love if they hadn't gotten rid of the swing bridges. Galway'd be a hub of marine tourism now if it hadn't, and I'd say the canal'd be a lot cleaner and more popular.
    If only, sure.

If the canals were still in use, i'd be using them on a bi-weekly basis, along with a LOT of other people.... they'd make a fortune from us

Graice Semple, Maurice's widow is a very friendly person who was very knowledgable about her husbands writing and used to give great advise/stories etc. however she's getting slightly older now and may not appreciate a stranger calling to the door, however i'll try and get more info for you next time i'm in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Maurice Semple is dead since 2001. The Solicitors' office near the Courthouse has no connection with his family or his widow now (other than still using his name, William F. (for Fitzmaurice) Semple and Co.), and you wouldn't find anyone there with knowledge of the Corrib, Eglinton Canal etc. John Cleary may have some luck with his widow but her health is not good. You'll get Semple's books in the NUIG library or maybe the Galway Library. A good source for information on the canals might be the National Archive

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Just saw your post and while i do not claim to be an expert I can recommend some avenues of further studey. There is one guy who has a very good knowledge of all waterways in Galway including the canals and the mill streams. his name is Mike Lynch and he gives tours all Summer. Look out for yellow flyers in placers like the Musuem and tourist office. Not sure of a website or anything
    The maurice semple books are invaluable .
    There are alot of interesting features around the canals and people often forget it was built through an existing street structure so at places like parkavera there are steps from the original street which was bisected by the canal
    anyway if you get a chance get a canoe and explore for yourselg as there are alot of mill streams sandwiched in behind buildings around galway

+1 on Semple's books.

I had a quick look there, and the only book I have by him is 'A Century of Minutes' which goes into detail of the Corrib Rowing & Yachting Club, rather than the lake/river/canals

Library would have them i'm sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

The best semple book for the canals is "where the River corrib flows" published in 1988 and is sometimes available in easons

Any idea where "A Century of Minutes", the book about the Corrib Club is currently available?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

churchview wrote: »
    Any idea where "A Century of Minutes", the book about the Corrib Club is currently available?
    Ring Kennys.

If you're really pushed, I could loan you a copy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Semple did at least 4 books and one of them has a map of all the canals , named . I think it has a blue/dark blue cover . Hynes building library has all of them .

eg

http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/refsource-show.jsp?id=205

This is the one I think . 1981

http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/refsource-show.jsp?id=204

or possibly this one 1973

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/books-some-galway-memories-by-maurice-sempl-1-c-c6xdyd0iyh

He published these various Galway and Lough Corrib guides in the 1970s and 1980s , top class local historian . A legend in fact !!! Look no further.

Mary Kavanagh published a book of every publication , ever , by every Galway author , ever , around 2000 , check that first .

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the help.

Robbo particularly - thanks for the offer. I have a copy myself, just can't put my hand on it. If I don't find it over the weekend I might take you up on your offer.

I have all the other ones to hand. Just can't find the one I want when I want it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement