Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

k-nife

• 31-01-2008 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

i need to buy some good knives but not at crazyprices like in arnotts. is it possible to get good knives for a reasonable price? any help muchos appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. I assume (never assume) that you are looking for chopping knives. Some of the best makes are German (Wursthoff). Most Chefs will tell you that you only need one good Knife and a good Steel to keep it sharp. IMO most sets of knives on sale in most department stores are a waste of money, you just end up paying for a fashion accessory!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

Wusthof are an excellent brand and reasonably priced compared to say Global or Henkels.
    It is important to store your knives properly too. Dont just throw them in a drawer. A wall mounted magnetic rack is ideal or a knife block with horizontal slots. These don't put pressure on the blades like the ones with vertical slots. Another alternative is to store in a fabric knife roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've found pretty decent knives for sale in TK Maxx a handful of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Get thee hence to Sweeney O'Rourke in Pearse Street. They have a very good selection of Wusthof knives at very decent prices. Kitchen Compliments have some good knives too, especially the Henckels Pro S range which I like a lot, but their selection is minimal and the prices are crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sheffield steel

• Advertisement
Advertisement