Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Proper procedure when selling privately

Options
  • 31-01-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question :

Im selling my car privately,2002 Honda Civic Type R (Jap Import)

Supposed to be meeting a guy this weekend who is confident he will be taking it.He will be travelling from dub and driving it back up.

He said he will be paying cash,

Whats the safest way to handle a private sale ?

I know a friend of mine used to get the buyer to sign something saying the car was sold as seen,etc

Also,is paying in cash a risky way to go ?

Dont fancy going to the bank on monday and finding they are all forged ?

Also,I will be holding onto the Vehicle registration cert and I will send it off to register the new owner,is this correct ?

Thanks Guys

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

robbie_62 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick question :

Im selling my car privately,2002 Honda Civic Type R (Jap Import)

Supposed to be meeting a guy this weekend who is confident he will be taking it.He will be travelling from dub and driving it back up.

He said he will be paying cash,

Whats the safest way to handle a private sale ?

I know a friend of mine used to get the buyer to sign something saying the car was sold as seen,etc

Also,is paying in cash a risky way to go ?

Dont fancy going to the bank on monday and finding they are all forged ?

Also,I will be holding onto the Vehicle registration cert and I will send it off to register the new owner,is this correct ?

Thanks Guys

Rob

Make sure you don't give the Vehicle registration cert to the buyer, you as you said fill it in and new owner signs it, you then send it away, if buyer is not happy with this than tough it's the law. As you will likely be talking about a fair bit of cash your only worry should be about the risk of the money been stolen from your house after the sale or it been forged, ideally if you could meet him at a bank or post office and have him deposit it into your account it saves the whole forgery and theft issue and makes the sale smoother. Cash is the safest transaction from a sellers point of view.

Advertisement