Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invasion of privacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Id check out the terms and conditions of your contract with them, however, im not sure that they can withdraw a service based on a comment they dont like, and are probably open to some sort of breach of contract litigation.

Personally, i think its outrageous that some a company would do that instead of looking at why people are unhappy with their service. Burying your head inthe sand and pretending that the problems are not there are a perfect way for your business to fall apart. I think some serious rethinking needs to go on here by these cowboys, otherwise they may well find that a lot of people start pulling away from their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

by the way, id also start up a thread in the consummer issues forum stating only the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Regarding invasion of privacy, if your contact details are publically available there can be no invasion of privacy.

As the original post has been edited there is no way to make a call on if it was fair comment.

If they did try to intimade the OP it was very poor show and not the finest example of how to deal with a customer dissatisfaction that I have come accross.

Without seeing the original post, how can you determine if the request to remove the post was fair or not?. If Di11on can pm me the contents of the original post, we can make a call what action we will take.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have to say if they pulled your site for that comment then that is a disgrace.
    I have used them before and thought they were good to deal with but I was only building a forum that since I have left in someone elses hands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Vexorg wrote: »
    Regarding invasion of privacy, if your contact details are publically available there can be no invasion of privacy.

As the original post has been edited there is no way to make a call on if it was fair comment.

If they did try to intimade the OP it was very poor show and not the finest example of how to deal with a customer dissatisfaction that I have come accross.

Without seeing the original post, how can you determine if the request to remove the post was fair or not?. If Di11on can pm me the contents of the original post, we can make a call what action we will take.

Vex, i saw the post before it was edited and I thought it was grand.

• Advertisement

Di11on

If they have withdrawn a service you have paid for:eek:, as WWMan said a post on Consumer issues would be a good idea and stick to the facts.

Letshost have an account here on boards.ie, perhaps they will take part in the discussion.

Vex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Vex, i saw the post before it was edited and I thought it was grand.

The irony of it is - they phoned me to ask me to remove it or edit it. No consequences were mentioned or threatened. I edited it, but they suspended my account anyway, without notice.

di11on wrote: »
    The irony of it is - they phoned me to ask me to remove it or edit it. No consequences were mentioned or threatened. I edited it, but they suspended my account anyway, without notice.

As said above, post up a thread in the consumer issues forum and see what comes out of it. If they pulled your hosting I would advise seeking professional advice on the matter.

Will do Johnny - thanks.

It's very distressing - having the rug pulled out from under your business. You feel so vunerable and helpless.

Will do Johnny - thanks.

It's very distressing - having the rug pulled out from under your business. You feel so vunerable and helpless.

Its bad form alright. I was going to get a hosting package off them in the near future and this has put me right off.

• Advertisement

di11on

If your site has been suspened, perhaps you should also switch off your google adwords, clicks going to a suspended site will just be wasting your hard earned cash.

V

Well the letshost account was looking at this thread at 22:31 so cant really claim not to be aware that the site has been suspended. Perhaps they will fix the problem now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh, I doubt if too many people would have seen the OP's post, or even remembered it 10 minutes later if they had.

However, I suspect a lot of people would be unimpressed with their initial reaction, and even more so by the escalation of the issue, and it will stick in peoples heads a hell of a lot longer as a result ...

If shooting yourself in the foot was an Olympic sport, they would be odds on for a medal ... :rolleyes:

Could someone, for the record, please check my site (www.woodentoys.ie) and verify that there is a message saying that my hosting has been suspended.

Many thanks in advance,

Jody

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Could someone, for the record, please check my site (www.woodentoys.ie) and verify that there is a message saying that my hosting has been suspended.

Many thanks in advance,

Jody

I tried it a few times. The first time (when you posted that they suspended your account) I got that message. Ever since though it keeps timing out for me.

Their actions will do a lot worse for a company than one person saying that the service is slow from time to time.

I'm only getting time outs aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

It's timing out - they appear to have set your DNS A record to 1.1.1.1 - which of course doesnt exist.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm getting the account suspended notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Streisand effect. If this company can clear stuff up it would really help their future business. The negative effect they are generating is just going to build up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

^^What Gordon said^^

I don't know what the original post contained but surely the negative publicity that could be generated would be best avoided for all concerned?

Hope you get this sorted di11on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

All hosting providers have issues from time to time.

People complain about us on public forums. Such is life

However if we suspended every single user who complained about our services without any warning we'd go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Got the account suspended thingie earlier, timing out now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Looks like they have resumed it. Piss poor attitude to take with a customer cause they wrote something you did not like on a forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Still down for me.

Connection to 1.1.1.1 Failed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Asok wrote: »
    Looks like they have resumed it. Piss poor attitude to take with a customer cause they wrote something you did not like on a forum.

It's still down for me. Agree with the attitude thing. Whoever said there is no such thing as bad publicity was clearly mistaken.

Worked for me a second ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'd guess the DNS records will take a while to update for certain people :(

poor show ...

poorer show that it does seem like the original post was the reason it was taken down ?? :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Working fine for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Page can not be displayed here.... their hosting must really be as bad at the op suggested....

Was looking at switching hosting provider next month , thats one possible name crossed off the list.....and I didn't even see the original thread.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

jhegarty wrote: »
    Page can not be displayed here.... their hosting must really be as bad at the op suggested....

Was looking at switching hosting provider next month , thats one possible name crossed off the list.....and I didn't even see the original thread.....
    I confirm that...

Might be worth complaining to the company who host the server.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement