Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invasion of privacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

jhegarty wrote: »
    Was looking at switching hosting provider next month , thats one possible name crossed off the list.....and I didn't even see the original thread.....

Exactly.

I didn't read the original post and I know to never use this company. Well done, it certainly backfired on you didn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It certainly did. I know never to use letshost.ie ... ever.

On the plus side the OP is getting good publicity. My niece's birthday is in 4 weeks and I've got a little idea where to get something for her now ... :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Macros42 wrote: »
    On the plus side the OP is getting good publicity. My niece's birthday is in 4 weeks and I've got a little idea where to get something for her now ... :)

Maybe this is all an elaborate rouse to get the op some publicity. We're onto you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Maybe this is all an elaborate rouse to get the op some publicity. We're onto you.

LOL :-) I'm not that smart... .or brave!!!!

:D

Maybe is is ... the cheeky monkey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

blacknight wrote: »
    All hosting providers have issues from time to time.

People complain about us on public forums. Such is life

However if we suspended every single user who complained about our services without any warning we'd go out of business.

Completely agree. Sites working okay for me, but might be my cache as I have been to the site before this issue arrised. If what the OP is saying is correct, I cant see why the host would suspend the site or make such phone calls. I cant see how the post is defamatory. Its not the best customer service to act in such a way, I would love to know why they felt they had to make a phone call and then suspend the site?

As blacknight said, people will compalin on public forums. It is life - people ask for reviews. Reviews are like feedback: they help improve the business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

very poor form from letshost.ie suppose they reinstated the site and hope the whole thing blows over rather than get on here and try and explain themselves and at least retain some amount of dignity

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I can't get onto the site, haven't once been able to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gordon wrote: »
    I can't get onto the site, haven't once been able to.

I can get onto it now. If I were you di11on, I'd move my hosting immediately. There's plenty of companies that offer hosting and I'm sure the vast majority wouldn't pull your site because you expressed your opinion about their service.

It's been up for me since I came on about midnight. If they changed DNS then it's just a propagation issue I'd say. Or maybe the suspension just hasn't hit BT's DNS yet :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Maybe it hasn't worked its way out to Britain yet..

That's what you get for living in the boondocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I couldn't access it for ages, but it's back up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Short answer is talk to a solicitor.

From reading your comment it couldn't be taken as libel (imho). So I don't think they would get anything out of you beyond terminating your account. But a company certainly has a right to stop doing business with someone who is liable to cost them customers.

The only other thing I can see is the Streisand effect taking place, but you have been pretty low key about it so it would not be due to you.

Go with a better provider. If they weren't giving good service to begin with you are better voting with your money.

Just to add: steve-hosting36 says it best.
    That's pretty disgraceful behaviour to be honest. If we all cut off customer's who complained we'd never improve as service providers.

Shameful day for irish hosting

Complaints from customers should be taken seriously and addressed. Not attempt to censor them. It just creates more negative press for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

your site is working fine for me.

Oh dear, and someone said in AH yesterday: no publicity is bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Many thanks to all of you for your replies and comments. It was a very stressful night for me!

Site is back up now - so crisis is averted for the moment.

Thanks again all.

Jody

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Good stuff. It's back up for me now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

di11on wrote: »
    Many thanks to all of you for your replies and comments. It was a very stressful night for me!

Site is back up now - so crisis is averted for the moment.

Thanks again all.

Jody

Good to hear. Works for me, if a little slow loading. You staying with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's working for me here. I would advise you to change your host asap and have also told all of my mates to stay clear of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Only consolation Di11lon is that the site is cool, and i'll be buying some stuff for Juniors next birthday :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

yea, the stuff's lovely - I know I'll be keeping it in mind as I have cousins to be thinking of with birthdays fast approaching!

At least you're getting good publicity Di11on!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I don't know what kind of individual you are, but if it were me I'd seriously consider getting legal advice with an aim to suing for possible loss of earnings.

This is your business and for the length of time you were down you'd have expected to make some money, that's money you may never receive now. Added to that you're paying for a service that was deliberately taken down because the hosting company got in a huff and started sulking like a child, it wasn't out of their control it was a deliberate act, so some kind of refund or compensation should be in order imo.

I'm not a solicitor nor do I know anything about the law in these cases but from everything I've just read I'd imagine it's at least worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I guess u could say letshost threw the (wooden) toys out of the pram!!! ahahahaha

sorry.

Shocking behaviour, I'd transfer ASAP. A really really silly move on their part, its shows a lack of common sense to not realise this would come back to shoot them in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Utter disgrace on letshost.ie part.

If any company were worth their salt, they would gently discuss this issue in private terms, but as been seen here they thought they could play bullyboy tactics by editing dns records for the OPs domain.
    Pisspoor IMO. Very pisspoor

If that was me now, I'd be straight onto my solicitor for loss of earnings.

If any company had cop on they would listen to the complaints/feedback and do something about it rather than abusing a customers account.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Letshost started out with a fairly tame comment from a customer that they should have taken on board as feedback. Now they have a whole thread dedicated to them showing them up as incompetent bullies. They are succeeding all by themselves in putting off anyone who reads this, from ever using their service. Its not Dillons fault, its their own. Nice work letshost.ie. Really this kind of publicity only works for Michael OLeary. Its not the usual way to win customers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Wow. That company sounds like it's run by 12 year olds.
    It's most certainly run by people with no experience on what 'customer care' actually means.
    I can't see them lasting if they keep that up.
    There are many other companies out there. The one's who will do well are the ones who know how to run a business that their customers are happy with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wow im just catching up on this today, what an event!

Hope things work out for you OP. I will be launching a .ie site in the next few months and i will be selecting my ISP carefully!

(Consequently, i will also be shopping on the OP's site in the next few months too! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

i used letshost before and it seemed to me like a great service.
    Your man i cant remember his name was sound enough (i got the impression it was a one man show but maybe not since a manager took the decision.)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

mjquinno wrote: »
    i used letshost before and it seemed to me like a great service.
    Your man i cant remember his name was sound enough

You're his mother aren't you?
    Aunt?
    Sister?
    Either way, I'm gonna have to ban you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

no no im not :) just a bit shocked they would do something like that I got the impression that they were very good. thats all

(jonny put back up that account were getting roasted on boards :) )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement