Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Smart] Speed Increases?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Are they coming? I see people in other threads have mentioned that they have been upgraded.

What exchanges are the speed increases on?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mines done in Clontarf at least, and I've seen mention of Letterkenny, Cork and Kilmainham done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dooradoyle, Limerick. Gone from 7M down to 10.5M down, just today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

What will the old 5Mb/s line be upgraded to?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What will the old 5Mb/s line be upgraded to?

Don't know, with no official announcement or details we've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Nangor Road, Clondalkin too :cool:

old 8M to almost 11M down and 512K to 1M up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Smart haven't increased their speeds. All they've done is changed settings in the exchange whereby your modem now syncs up at the maximum upload and download speed it can hold reliably for your particular line. The actual data throughput is still rate limited so if you were on a 4Mb / 256Kb package before the changes took place, you'll still find that's the speed your connection can send and receive data at when maxed out, regardless of whether your modem shows a higher connection speed.

So even if your modem shows, say, 10Mb down, 1Mb up - if you hammer out your connection you'll find you can actually only download at a max. of 4Mb, or upload at a max. of 256Kb.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrquiteaguy

Kensington,
    Thanks for clearing things up.
    I was wondering why when i ran the Smart speed test,it was pretty much same as before.

I can only take it that the ppl who wrote in saying otherwise are Noobies:D

I can only take it that the ppl who wrote in saying otherwise are Noobies:D

No one else said they ran a speed test, they just reported the new sync speeds. Noob :D

jor el wrote: »
    No one else said they ran a speed test, they just reported the new sync speeds. Noob :D

I did figure it out when running more speed tests later. The new sync rates are misleading though, and the Smart admins still haven't explained anything and have allowed the wrongful idea of upgrades to persist on the Smart forums.

I wonder is this a prelude to an upgrade though? They're checking what everyone's line is capable of before announcing what we'll get.

I'd say they didn't think many would notice as you have to go into the router config to see the sync speeds, which is something people wouldn't generally do every day.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    I wonder is this a prelude to an upgrade though? They're checking what everyone's line is capable of before announcing what we'll get.

I'd say they didn't think many would notice as you have to go into the router config to see the sync speeds, which is something people wouldn't generally do every day.

There's a partial explanation here
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=15262&postcount=32
    which does seem to hint towards it, though as they say it also makes some network management easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Speed increases? Aren't we spoiled enough already;)

digitaldr wrote: »
    Speed increases? Aren't we spoiled enough already;)

I'm always happy to have another excuse to look down on the peasants on Eircoms service.

Advertisement