Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't 'Hate it'....... ignore it

Options
  • 31-01-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I often hear people going on about 'Hating' a particular Artist, Band, Label, Style of Music etc.

In my deep middle age I wonder 'Why ?'....

In my mind, if you want to make mindless Pop Tripe, you're very welcome. I'll have no interest in it , but 7 year olds might. Who am I to judge?

Similarly Hair Metal and lads who try to wear the frets off guitars in 32 , 64 ( Gawd Forbid 128) bar solos put me to sleep - However I accept a chaps right to be into all that.

Ditto G,Am,C,D Indie Kids - In my world your pointless repetitiveness is acceptable , if predictable.

My point is Energy is Energy - I prefer to use mine positively. 'Hating' anything is Energy you've chosen to use Negatively.

I think it was George Bernard Shaw (he used to be in Skid Row with Philo, didn't you know that?) who wrote 'The Ultimate Insult is Indifference'.... or something like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Use to be very guilty of this myself! But the past few years I've learnt to appreciate what's behind the gloss. One thing I usually find is that those pop hits that everybody loves to hate have the best production teams behind them. You can learn so much by listening to the mixes of Tom Lord-Alge for example (Avril Lavigne, Delta Goodred, Sum 41, Blink 182, Pink)...all artists I don't particularly have time for but the work that these guys put into the dense mixes...you have to respect. Have a critical listen to that Westlife track you hate and try and suss out what's going on behind the curtain, you can learn alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

When I teach teenagers the guitar they 'hate' certain styles of music. This is understandable because they are going through puberty and are in a phase of denial about there image and many other factors. When I meet people who oppose certain music genres I often find them to carry much negative energy about other stuff in life. If one doesn't listen to all types of production on every level well then how are they going to grow? especially if one is a musician or engineer.

Energy is a powerful force. How we choose to use it is a risk we all take. :eek:

I personally find that by letting all sorts of music into my life I smile more but thats just me..

Peace out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Ditto G,Am,C,D Indie Kids

*takes notes

Hey Savman are you from Villa park just off blackhorse ave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

:eek:
    Nope, the real one ;)

• Advertisement

Oh I see your a footballer!:D

Name: Villa Park
    Inauguration: 1897
    Capacity: 43,300 seats
    Pitch dimensions: 105*69
    Record Attendance: 76,588; Aston Villa-Derby, March 1946
    Address: Trinity Road, Birmingham B6 6HE

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

If anyone ever asks my opinion a band, and I think they are rubbish, my answer is always "I don't like them".
    An answer like "they are sh*t" is largely irrelevant because if a band or artist is successful, it is obvious there is a market for them.
    I can see merit in most (commercially successful) music.
    Unfortunately, being a recording engineer, especially if you are just starting out, you sometimes have to record music that you would not listen to if given the choice, but as you become more experienced and known in the scene, you can generally turn away stuff you don't want to work on.
    For example, I won't take any clients looking to do dance, trad or anything that resembles one man and his guitar.
    Life is depressing enough sometimes without spending 9 hours listening to some college student whining on about lost love or other such nonsensical cr@p over a minor chord progression.
    To quote Niall "Have a critical listen to that Westlife track you hate and try and suss out what's going on behind the curtain".
    The answer is a very good marketing team ;-)

I agree with much of what you say Trackmixstudio. I as someone starting out in the recording business have to take the whining maggots and do the cheesy backing tracks but at least its a start..

Now on the one hand we love to hate whining singe songwriters but on the other hand every now and again a Damien Rice shows up. Also, as a whining songwriter myself I know my songs are the 'same old same old' but for me its a progression in the craft of writing songs. I also play hard core blues rock stuff that I am yet to put out there based on the fact that I am still going through the motions in the craft of song-writing.

In other words I write some great riffs but I am finding it hard to write killer Rock n Roll lyrics but I am starting to do so. Now if I never wrote the whining maggot songs I never would have reached the realization that its the same old whining maggot stuff and thus move onto rock n roll.

One in a million musicians have found there sound instantly, surely its a minor chord progression??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulBrewer
    Ditto G,Am,C,D Indie Kids

Savman wrote: »

*takes notes

I want a Co-Write credit on this SavMan, ok??

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I saw Damien Rice guest on stage with Tori Amos a couple of years ago in the village.
    Tori was AMAZING, then Damien Rice came on to do his duet.
    I needed a drink at this point, figuring that by going to the bar, I would accomplish 2 things. Getting a drink and missing this travesty. It was 6 deep at the bar and I missed half of Tori's next song.:p

I like some singer songwriter stuff, such as Dylan, Cohen etc, but the chances of someone showing up at the studio with their guitar and me not wanting to either commit suicide or kill them or both is very low.

I understand that musicians have to learn their craft and develop their songwriting. It's just that I would prefer not to listen to this development process.

There are 2 things I hate.
    People in the music business who are closed minded and unwilling to listen to a broad range of music to develop their skills...........
    and farkin' singer songwriters :D

• Advertisement

Ha ha .. Well I would love to watch a west life mix in progress. I couldn't give a shi%^ what others think of me. Maybe one day the next Dylan will be turned away at your door? But chances of that are like you said 'slim' if not 'thin' . Still though let the haters miss out, life is too short to close your mind to what is out there. :rolleyes:

I like some singer songwriter stuff, such as Dylan,
    :D

Our very own StudioRat has recorded the very same Mr. Dylan in Dublin a couple of years ago..... however he hasn't been back!

I forgot to show you this picture of Dylan eating cheese at Studiorats place all those years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

To quote Niall "Have a critical listen to that Westlife track you hate and try and suss out what's going on behind the curtain".
    The answer is a very good marketing team ;-)

Heh, very true. :p But somebody has to record the drums, edit the vocalist and push the faders. With the amount of money flying around its usually some of the best doing it. So it's always worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I find (with the odd exception of course) that nearly everything that comes through the door has some redeeming feature in it. Even if it's just a nice hi hat pattern or something. Mind you I've had to sit through years of country and Irish music, so I could be loosing a grip on reality by now. But I will usually just try and enjoy the bits I like and get through the day.

That said, if the band are daft enough to ask me do I like the song the get the truth for better of worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Use to be very guilty of this myself! But the past few years I've learnt to appreciate what's behind the gloss. One thing I usually find is that those pop hits that everybody loves to hate have the best production teams behind them. You can learn so much by listening to the mixes of Tom Lord-Alge for example (Avril Lavigne, Delta Goodred, Sum 41, Blink 182, Pink)...all artists I don't particularly have time for but the work that these guys put into the dense mixes...you have to respect. Have a critical listen to that Westlife track you hate and try and suss out what's going on behind the curtain, you can learn alot.

I think you're spot on with that....although, I've hidden my affection for 'sk8er boi' for years...

Choon!

Advertisement