Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Boresighter.. worth it?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Was looking at the Bushnell model in Duffy's, seems a good deal (or does it...?). Anyway anyone have any experience using em? i.e. max range, accuracy, overall usefulness. Or a waste of time/money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Very good,acurate...

but don't just buy one for yourself.

It all depends on if you are hunting or target shooting. If your a hunter at least you can check your rifle each time before you go hunting. If Target shooting better to share the cost and the use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I wouldn't buy one. Not that hard to zero a rifle, but it's an expensive sport, buy plenty of ammo with the price of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

how many rounds would you use when centring a rifle?
    How many times would you need to centre with the Bushnell to breakeven?

Between a few it might be ok. I've seen it for half of Duffys price online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Yea you can buy them on ebay for arround 15 euro!!
    Would only get one if it was a bargin!!
    Duffys are looking for too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

I would agree with all above, except if you hunt regularly they do come in handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Just consider the following ...

The light path of a laser is dead straight ..
    A bullet drops .

Different weight bullets drop differently . A laser dosent.

Personally , i would rather bore sight in the normal manner ,adjust scope . fire one .., keep the same point of aim ..don't move the rifle ..and move the crosshair onto the bullet strike.

Fire another one to fine tune .

Unless something is very wrong , five rounds should be more than enough to zero a rifle.

Just my 2 cent worth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I used to have a laser jobbie and a hawke shotsaver. The laser was fine untill it got a knock and needed adjusting,not a hope in hell getting it right. The shotsaver has my preference anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Yeah it's pretty much a gimmick huh? Though I can see the handiness in checking zero in the middle of a hunt, etc.

Have decided against it myself. Have way more fun zeroing the other way anyhow.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jaycee wrote: »
    Just consider the following ...

The light path of a laser is dead straight ..
    A bullet drops .

Different weight bullets drop differently . A laser dosent.

I think the device takes account for this.
    Say, you are 100m from target, selected bullet drops 5" over 100m, you sight the laser 5" over the crosshairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i bought one on ebay for about 20euro and it was useless, it didn't even shine staight it pointed to the left, i wouldn't advise anyone to buy one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

ormondprop wrote: »
    i bought one on ebay for about 20euro and it was useless, it didn't even shine staight it pointed to the left, i wouldn't advise anyone to buy one
    sight n in a rifle i bore sight in a 25.06 last week it gives you a feel for the trigger and the way the gun shoots its best to get to know this for your self .all these gagets are a waste of money just go shoot the gun and learn some thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have a hawke shot saver (collimeter) found it ok, recently I was thinking on buying a bushnell laser boresighter.

However recently I sighted the new rifle by removing the bolt looking down it at a 4" circle (painted to stand out) and then tweek the sight to match it I was on target pretty quick and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The only real use I can see in it is to check zero before hunting and you can get them a whole lot cheaper online. I see they come with a fitting for a shotgun, when exactly would you need this?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The only real use I can see in it is to check zero before hunting and you can get them a whole lot cheaper online. I see they come with a fitting for a shotgun, when exactly would you need this?

Used for shooting slugs from a shotgun with a rifled barrell and a scope mounted

so not much use for woodcock then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

so not much use for woodcock then!!
    It'd be a hell of a shot, and you'd have to send what remained for DNA testing to confirm the identity of the quarry. :D

Once took a crow out with a golf ball off the second tee in clongowes, does that help??

Advertisement