Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Court case gone wrong!!!

• 31-01-2008 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello Folks,

this is going to sound terrible but here goes - I have made a mistake in my testimony in court :( . Please read on before berating me

Would somebody be able to tell me for definitie if it can be proven that a full drivers license was sent by post or given to a person over the counter in a motor tax office? The reason im asking this is that recently i had to give my version of events under oath in court and i was asked a multitude of questions which i answered as truthfully as i could remember but one of the questions was " how did you receive your driving license?". It had been almost 2 years since i got my full license and i was convinced i had been given it over the counter after filling in the necessary forms + handing in my provisional. After i left the court my heart sank when i remembered actually how i had received it.

Let me fill in some of the details here which might help explain things a bit better....

Long story short, i made a mistake when i filled out my driving license application form. Instead of putting Apartment 89 etc etc etc. I put accidentally Apartment 26. The only possible reason that i would haev put apartment 26 on the application form would be out of force of habbit because my previous address was apartment 26 in a completely different part of the city!

I couldnt remember receiving my license by post and when i actually sat down to try and recall - i remembered having to call the processing dept in the motor tax office to enquire as to why my license hadnt arrived. They then told me it had been sent to apartment 26, Blah Blah etc etc. I thought that they had made a clerical error and didnt realise that it was my own stupid mistake. I then called into the owner of apt 26 and presto , my license was there.

I have to appear in court again shortly to have the matter settled and i am terrified about what implications my screw up could have!

Before anyone asks, i have a solicitor and he doesnt know this yet but I WILL be telling him well before the next hearing.

So you can see my conundrum - can anyone answer my original question maybe? or offer some friendly advice, i am fully aware that legal advice cannot be given in a forum and do not expect any.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 introuble!!

Forgot to mention that this whole situation evolved from a minor speeding offence :(. Just in case people think i had been involved in a crazy murder case.............

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

I'll preface this by saying that I am in no way qualified to advise you on this.

But I would say that your intentions were good at the time, you made a mistake and didn't set out to lie.

Mention it to your solicitor and ask him to raise it at the next hearing. The judge will appreciate your honesty.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Please keep replies limited to the question

viz
    can (it) be proven that a full drivers license was sent by post or given to a person over the counter in a motor tax office?

If for some reason you had sent your passport in with your application, it would have been returned to you by registered post. There may still be a record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 introuble!!

Nope, i remember filling out the forms in the motor tax office and handing in my provisional license, i dont think i needed to hand in my passport/birth cert...

Does anyone know if this counts as perjury? that is really whats worrying me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Only perjury if you knowingly give false testimony.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Only perjury if you knowingly give false testimony.

It's only perjury if they catch you knowingly giving false testimony.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Seriously, what did I say? Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement