Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor Me NCT fail :-(

Options
  • 31-01-2008 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

:(My 1995 Nissan Almera failed the NCT on the high idle emmission (only slightly off) . I was just wondering what the next step is to get it fixed.

I've heard it can be a number of things but dont know how or where to get it tested to pin point the problem.

Any advice greatly received :D:o:):cool::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get the engine to run a bit slower in idle. A proficient mechanic should be able to do that bit of adjusting for you without too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

High idle is about 2500 to 3500 rpm stevie.

Your local nissan main dealer is probably your best bet - what were the results, out of curiousity?!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

use Maxol E5, if it's marginally out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

High idle = normal driving revs ? ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

This isn't really related to the idle, and could be complete BS, but I've heard that putting a tenner of petrol in a diesel car just before it goes in for the nct will help reduce the emissions. My friend did it with his 97 A4, he said afterwards that the emissions were well within the limits anyway (why he did it in the 1st place, I dont know:confused:, the car could have been chipped). This might do damage to a modern commonrail diesel, but didn't seem to do his car any harm:)

But on a more serious note, the lambda sensor could be dodgy, you could have a leak somewhere in the intake or exhaust that would knock the lambda sensor off a bit. best thing to do is get your local mechanic to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh i failed on the high idle test last week too, but the Nct pin pointed that it was leaking that was the problem, does it not pin point the problem on your sheet beside where it says what it failed on?

Advertisement