Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Prix Prize Money

• 31-01-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what level of prize money is on offer at Track Grand Prix, such as the Cork City Sports, the bigger meetinigs on the IAAF tour, and the indoor Grand Prix which are taking place at the moment?

I'm not looking for exact figures (if you have them for any meeting, it would be appreciated though), but just the ballpark figures.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

A good pay day for a top Irish athlete from a meet probably wouldn't get over $2-3,000. I've read Jeremy Wariner only tops $1,000,000 a year and he'd be a top earner getting much of his cash from adidas endorsements and not necessarily winnings. The middledistance guys in the states would be good earners, while the field eventers would get sweey fa. Example being Adam Nelson, the shot putter, who depsite being a world champion had no sponsor and was basically just getting by financially.

Don't know what the Cork City pays out but wouldn't be great considering the budget they are working off.

The World Athletics final each year would be one of the biggest earning meet and here is the structure from 2006 (may have gone up a bit in 2007). When you compare what golfers get for example, its a pittance.

Prize Money (paid by IAAF):

1st US $ 30,000; 2nd US $ 20,000; 3rd US $ 12,000; 4th US $ 7,000; 5th US $ 5,000; 6th US $ 4,000; 7th US $ 3,000; 8th US $ 2,000

Athletes competing in 1500m, 5000m, 3000m, 3000m SC who finish from 9th to 12th place will receive an allowance of US $ 1,000.

Any athlete who surpasses a World Record in the World Athletics Final will be awarded US $ 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Jaysus, its not much of a living. I knew it wasn't very high, but I didnt think it was that low

Advertisement