Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses for 2008 are up!

Options
  • 31-01-2008 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

New and revived courses: Sports Science (S2), Chinese (S1), Superhero Science (S2) and Gothic Studies (S2).

Also of note (I think anyway): Psychology only available in Session 1! Philosophy has stolen its two-session crown.

And Biomed, Criminology, Novel Writing, Globalisation, Art History, Astronomy, Spec Fic and Veterinary Science are still there.

So, what's everyone gonna do? I think Psychology first choice and Film Studies and Chinese second.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Gothic Studies got in?

w00t! I promised the instructor I would do it. Now the real question... Do I want that or SUPERHEROES?

Dammit... Superheroes, hot vampires, superheroes, hot vampires...

What is a teenage boy to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Superhero science and Gothic studies?

Wow, I can see my house from the top of this hill we seem to be going down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Gothic Studies and Superhero Science?

In my day, we thought Computer Science was the loser course but jeez... I just don't know what to say.

Having said that, I would so have done superhero science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Having actually read the descriptions, Gothic Studies does look somewhat credible, however Superhero Science is both silly and incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

Yeah, I've been to two separate Superhero Science lectures with different lecturers in CTYI. One was after I did the SATs as one of their Experience Days, or whatever they're called, and one was during CTYI 07. It's grand for an afternoon but I don't know how they could draw it out for a whole three weeks, since *small voice* superheroes are actually fictional and not governed by science...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Gothic studies will be an abomination.

When you think about it, Writing for Life passed itself off as a real subject for years. You never know.

What makes Writing for Life not a real subject? Apart from the title, it's a grand course, is it not?

Well, the one year I did it we spent most of our classes walking about parks and musuems or playing improv games. The emphasis is definitely on the "Life" rather than the "Writing". In fact, I'd say there was more emphasis on the "For" than on the writing...

Ah. Well I think there must have been quite a bit of a shift towards 'writing' between you doing it and me doing it, but I do know what you mean.

• Advertisement

Not having read the discriptions yet, but just from looking at this board, i have decided against both the new options. Another chance at getting into philosophy might be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

CTYI is for Queers ye are all gay freaks who think ye will be great wen ye are older but ye wont amount to anything ye will just be loners...

callaway92 wrote: »
    CTYI is for Queers ye are all gay freaks who think ye will be great wen ye are older but ye wont amount to anything ye will just be loners...

How witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

He has a point >_>

In my experience most of us were loners when we were _younger_, and now think we are great...

And what do we reckon; did he fail the SAT or did his best friend in school go to CTYI and make new friends? If the latter, I have some compassion.

First of all...i wudnt have a friend that would be that sad to go to something like that..And second of all Im off 3 in golf...ill have pro shop in a few years...YE will still be studyin for ye're medicine or whatever thinking ye will be brilliant people when ye will be stressin over tests and all lookin like clowns

Well, then Mr. Calloway, it seems that you have beaten us. All of us. Our collective efforts, formerly held in such high esteem by many, are mere ash.

Now it simply remains for us to decide how best to while away the interim between now and our nebulous descent into inexorable mediocrity.

Yet wherever our grey futures will detain us, we will always be able to look to the stars with faint hope, knowing that, somewhere we can only dream of, our superior has thrived. And we will whisper "Calloway".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

First of all...i wudnt have a friend that would be that sad to go to something like that..And second of all Im off 3 in golf...ill have pro shop in a few years...YE will still be studyin for ye're medicine or whatever thinking ye will be brilliant people when ye will be stressin over tests and all lookin like clowns

This is pure comedy gold, could Arthur Matthews himself have could up with something better? Say something else! Go on!

So...so gay....how sad

I had a really long post written, talking about while it has been proved that IQ has no to Correlation success rate (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Story?id=3178567&page=1 for proof. Sorry. I know it is ABC news, that is just the first thing which popped up in google. And for some reason the URL tags won't work. I hate Tuesdays.), I, for one, prefer my life of education in things which I am really interested in then a life of selling things behind a sports shop counter even if, by some small chance, the money I am currently making from my various projects dies off, I can not manage to get a job in a bookshop or something, and i end up a poor student. But then I realized that posting it, along with some screenshots of the posts which this guy has contributed to, would be feeding the troll. So I decided not to. (the screenshots are still on my Flickr account if anybody cares to check. I'm way to lazy to take them down for now) But seriously. Do we not, at this point, have a copy-paste reply to people like this? Edit: Dude.... Why won't any formating such as paragraphs work in my post?

• Advertisement

But getting back on... You know... TOPIC, Does anybody want to type out the new course details and put them here or on the wiki for those of us who can't get to them at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nah we dont need to stres over exams, we're too smart.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

callaway92 perm banned. Please return to the topic at hand...i.e. the insane sounding courses.

What on earth happened to at least feigning normality course wise? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

slasher_65 wrote: »
    But getting back on... You know... TOPIC, Does anybody want to type out the new course details and put them here or on the wiki for those of us who can't get to them at the moment?
    http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi/summer/academic/c_desc08.htm

Gothic Studies, lulz.

Thank you Sir. I will put them wikiside tomorrow. Busy at the moment.

<scream> Spec Fic is session 1 only? And highlighted in YELLOW? What has the world COME to?

I actually have no idea what I want to do. I want to do SOMETHING, just nothing there which i have not already done makes me perk up.

You know, I really miss callaway92. It's strange...

Feeling in such constant awe of a person can become tiring, I found.

Tiring I can handle. I just really want to find him in real life. I'll just keep an eye out for the golf enthusiast who walks around constantly passing pejorative remarks about the sexuality of ... passing dogs and parking meters and stuff. I expect there aren't many people matching such a description.

You'll probably have to beat your way through his crowds of admirers first. I hear they can get pretty vicious when in his breath-taking presence.

• Advertisement

I know I would. Get vicious, I mean. I mean, in the presence of such majesty there's just such an overload of admiration, jealousy and adoration that extreme violence is the only immediate emotional outlet I can see myself using.

Advertisement