Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Border Collies Any Use For Hunting Dogs

• 31-01-2008 7:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Just recently got two pups, both bitches from the same litter. Their parents are cattle dogs, and are very good at what they do- they seem to know exactly what the farmer asks them. Its really great to watch them work.
    Anyway I,ve been told that these border collies are easily trained and would make a good hunting dog(picking up shot rabbits or similar).
    The pups are only 10 wks old and seem very eager to please. so i,ll have to start asap. What does the hunting forum think about border collies as a sort of hunting dog- I got the dogs for house protection, i hope that they would be a deterrent to robbers but if they'd make a shooting/hunting companion that would be a bonus...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i know my grandfather had one (probobly about 50 years ago mind you!), but he claims it was one of his best dogs ever. i remember my great granny had one for years and it was so smart he would almost talk to you. they are a fantastic looking dog and a lovely nature. best of luck with them mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

I've seen them used when lamping rabbits, pretty clever dogs, never ran the beam, always got on the inside.

Hard-mouthed and a bit kill crazy though, and I've no idea how they'd respond to shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I have seen them used to hunt foxes and they make short work of them. Clever dogs, the ones i saw never had any work put into them so would be interesting to see what you could get out of them. Cant see them being great retreivers though more like pick the bunny and off into the distance with it :) I would suggest making sure they arent hungry when you send them for a retrieve:D
    Edit to add ones i saw were fine with shot but thats all a matter of carefull introduction anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭irish setter

There an extremely clever dog and very obedient so anything is possible. I know a man who claims he could train them to point pheasant but i can't vouch for that as i've not seen them.

Advertisement