Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

careers in music

Options
  • 31-01-2008 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

hello.. im in leaving cert and i have applied for music in cork and waterford next year. im just wondering about careers in music, i feel sure ther must be more than like compoer, performer, teacher.. i mean in the music business, or in music editing, film..
    can anyone assist me? im trying to think about a future career and music would be my main interest. i play violin and guitar and im in a slightly dysfunctional band but anway. any advice/info wud be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

I'm applying for Cit Music.Did you not ask them too send you the sample papers?Well anyway It says on one of the booklets
    Career opportunities in Music:
    Teaching ...........................Solo & Ensemble Performance
    Composing & Arranging .......Music Production & Recording
    Flim Video & Tv Scoring .........................Music Technology
    Music Therapy ..................Musicological research
    Ethnomusicology .........................Arts Administration
    Journalism ...................................Publishing
    Librarianship .......................Community Music

Seems like its gonna be hard enough too get into.Waterford seems much easier too get into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 anie_bawny

Woo,,i applied for music in UCC too!

Yer proberly going t laugh at this but i spoke with one of the lecturers down there on the music open day on November 10th and she told me that the most commen job of people who got a bmus in her old university in Scotland was accountancy-sounds a bit mental to me but anyhow she said once you get the bmus,you can take on almost anything else and develope that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

accountancy??? weird... i wudnt rly like to end up there. i rly hope there's sumthn in music or to do with music bcos like.. i dno what else id wna do.
    thanks for the list of jobs areas n that. they dont sound too bad.
    im jus curious as to the reasons u guys applied for music? like anything specific, or is it jus overall interest in the subject? wel like music4life i guess thrs an obvious enough reason :) bt what r ur hopes for after colege n stuff. do you play much music n that?

:pyeah i kow,,,what sort of person takes on a music course in hopes to end up as.........an accountant!what an anti climax eh?
    ah yeah,,,dont worry about it like,,,theres an endless list of jobs in music that you can do.Any of the course discriptions include examples and things if you look them up on that colleges site!
    Why i applied for music?I love music,,its the only thing i want to do!I love what cork has to offer too,the course is so diverse.theres so many choices an all that!
    After college,im not so sure what i want to do,,i just want to take it as far as i can i guess,an then we'll see what happens,im not too worried about it!
    As for playin music,i play piano and teach at the weekends .I play drums too,but its not so serious,,,just some fun really!What about yourself?

Yeah i hav the same sort of reasons for picking music.. like I cant think of anything else i'd like to do. there's sooo many courses in like science and all that but at least music is pretty narrowed down; if there's too much choice its impossible to decide.
    did you apply for just music in cork? or music with arts?
    i applied for both of those, and also just arts, u can take musical studies as a subject, but that doesnt sound as good... musical studies, y'know. i wonder how much it differs from jsut "music" as a subject?
    out of interest, whats your asl? are you in l.c. yeah? who d'you teach piano to at weeknds?
    i play violin officially, although i stopped gettin lessons a year or two ago, but i'm playing it in my l.c. practical and for my auditions for college which i'm pretty scared about, i dont know how good you have to be :o, dyou hav any idea of the standard it is? also, to what other colleges have you applied? sorry for all the questions :)
    i'm in a "band" with a few friends.. we're a bit of a shambles really. i mostly play guitar, but occasionally i'll sing or play drums. i'm not much good but it's a laugh.

• Advertisement

yeap i applied for all three aswell:D
    first choice was music with arts,then music,then arts!
    Yep just studying a lot less music as far as i can remember from thier open day!ya wont get a bmus from it as easily.
    Me-aine,livin in kilkenny,17!you?yeap in leaving cert at the moment!
    Teach piano to 16 different people at the weekends,just put an add in the paper and they rang up!Its just a handy way of makin some money cos it isnt easy come by in 6th year an all ya know?
    Niccce id love to play the violin!
    About standard,they say grades dont matter because you can have someone on grade 8 who plays without expression and they have people who have never done a grade in their lives but are good musicians.
    I reckon a piece at about a grade 5 standard would be fine,if you can play it for your leaving cert practicle,then its good enough for the auditions.
    They seem really encouraging about it-still though,,im not quite sure what to expect ether.Im kinda nervous about the whole thing too!
    I applied for music in maynooth too!Thats it though,if i dont get UCC or Maynooth,ill be trying again next year!What about you?
    Naa dont be sorry,tis nice to talk t someone whos in the same boat anyway!:rolleyes:

im pippa, 17, frm mayo (unfortunately.. really hate this county can't wait to get outta here!)

your teaching thing sounds good.. are they one-on-one and what standard roughly do you teach to? and wat sort of ages are your "students"?
    maybe i should offer beginner violin lessons... nah im def not good enough. i only did grade 4.. but i was going to do grade 7. bt never got round to it.. bt hopefully im roughly grade 5 or 6 standard so i hope that does me :S
    nah u dont want to play the violin. i dno i've had so much trouble with it. like some days are great but the majority i just give up before i get too mad cos i can't play it.. its the most frustrating instrument ever i think.. i just hate it sometimes. and others i love it. really love/hate relationship. guitar
    was always way friendlier to me :) like i taught myself and it never gave me too much trouble :)
    i really like piano though. i learnt it ages ago wen i was small bt i gave up and id like to play it again jus a bit. recreationally. what grades have you done?
    have you done your mocks? if so how did they go, in particular if you do physics how did that go? i have physics tomorow. im so unbelievably dead in it. i mean its not possible that i pass it i havnt done any work but physics to me is one of those subjects that no matter how much study i do i do rubbish in tests. :(

ooh i have exactly the same first 3 cao choices as you :D:D then i have waterford and then trinity, a few courses there, and then maynooth towards the end. although i'm coming round to the idea of maynooth.

Thanks!:)Yep one on one,half an hour lessons!I started this september with all beginner students and my best is doing her grade 1 at in 2 weeks so we're just going to take it from the beginning and see how it goes!All ages really,my youngest is 6 and my oldest is in her 60's,didnt think it,but a huge amount of retired people want to learn too so iv a lot of adults as well as kids.Ah yeah sher go for it,,i wasnt so sure at the start ether but my teacher kept prompting me to do it,and its brilliant money for so little hours,doesnt take up any study time or anything!Ah cool yeah thats great,,,should be fine for the auditions!
    hehe really?sounds like a lot a fun,,,,broken any violins with rage yet?:pyeah?cool,i tried guitar too,but i had absolutly no motivation.can play a bit but im not exactly steve vai yet!:o
    cool,yeah you should take up piano again,its great just to say in the interviews at least.iv done all my grades in piano.
    Awh damn yeah you doing your mocks now too?naa i dont do physics.sorry!had history today,,,,lol think t would be fair to say i failed.thank god,our last exam tomorow and its music!phew,what about you?
    hehe damn really?high5!thats cool!I didnt put waterford down cos its so close to home,dont want t live at home ya know?yeah cool,you know much about trinity?wanted to put that down but my music teacher said it can be very intimidating plus i will do anything to avoid dublin!:Darrgh yeah i know,,,i reaaally do not want to go to maynooth but it just seemed like an easy one to get into at the time!Hopefully wont have to though!:(

Hey, I only just realised I never replied to your last post :) I've had the mocks and then midterm. had a realy great midterm. mocks werent so good. how much study are you doing now that midterm's over? i STILL havent started properly. now that the pressure is off again for another while im being way too relaxed. i hate being in leaving cert. i hate it so much. i think i'm gna get a few violin lessons bcos im rubbish. dyou know when the practicals are exactly or does it differ from school to school?
    i didnt realise waterford is so close to kilkenny bt now i that i google a map of ireland i realise it is indeed. how come u dont want to go to maynooth? dont know much about trinity although my sister went there. it is very nice inside n a gud location in dublin and that. bt i dont wana go to dublin either, too big, scary, expensive :) yeah it prob is intimidating in trinity.
    which part of music r u best at in school? i ws jus wondering cos im rubbish at remembering all the stuff from the set works bt i dont hav a prob with the compositional paper and dictation and that. i dont realy know how to study music though. also what r u doing for your practical? im doin one music tech piece n 4violin pieces.

No problemo!;)Arggh i know the feeling,i do 2 hours after school and i try another hour at home but i rarely fit it in.I abandon all study at the weekend!We were meant to be starting late study till 9 in school but i dont think they have enough people so were still waiting on it!how bout you?
    All practicles are in april but all the schools are different.They are held some time between the middle two weeks in april im nearly certain!
    I dont know,maynooth just seems so small and boring or something,still though,if i got in,i wouldnt turn it down!Ah yeah,notmany people want to go to dublin,apparently its not so bad once your there though!
    Same im good at the compositional paper,and im good at some of the set works.I really just need to get to know the mozart mvt3 and berlioz better and ill be happy!yeah they are tricky to remember but if you look at the papers,the questions are fairly easy.Are you going to the revision course for music next saturday?
    Im taking 6 on piano for the practicle!Hate playing in public though,im dreading it,,begining to wish i kept up music technology!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

just passed through this thread and i noticed someone saying they applied for cork school of music. any else thinking of going there? I'm dying to go there and so far I don't know of anyone else! :)

i applied for music at UCC and i think i've got in... well depending on the l.c. results :/

FINISHED TODAY.....................

Advertisement