Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What diesel for c.€18k ? A4, Passat, 407...

Options
  • 31-01-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

I started looking for a diesel car some months ago. I wanted an A4 or Passat. I'm in no real rush and have looked at the following so far....

03 A4 TDi 77k €17k private
    03 Passat TDi 37k €16k private
    04 Passat TDi 68k €15.5 garage

Today I drove a 2005 Peugeot 407 1.6 diesel and I'm seriously tempted by it!!
    It has 39k, 1 owner, it's electric blue and I reckon I could buy it for c.€18.5k

I like the look of the 407, but i would never really have considered a Peugeot til now...
    I know Peugeot diesels have a great reputation but what is the consensus on the 407?

Resale value? reliability? etc

(www.honestjohn.co.uk shows no major faults with them)

Any 407 owners here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Turbo failure seems to be an issue and possible dual mass flywheel problem. Also, potential electrical problems and high, high main dealer servicing costs.
    Girl I work with has replaced three fuel pumps on hers.

Depreciation seems to be the biggest issue though - they're not a 'keeper' in the same way that the 306 would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have a look at a Citroën C5 - someone else will have taken the depreciation hit and you just might get a 2006 for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm surprised you haven't shortlisted the best in class for your budget, the Alfa 156 1.9JTD or the BMW 320d

Any reason for that, or do you just not fancy them?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well the alfa would rule but there are always reliability issues on a diesel. If I had 18 grand I would give it to my local church of the latter day saints and save the environment from the evil evil diesel fumes.

Just kidding.
    I'd spend it on coke and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Alfa would be nice but Id have two issues with them - reliability and resale.

BMW - overpriced (Id struggle to buy a 01 or 02 with reasonable mileage within my budget) and a bit cramped inside.

I reckon it's looking very like a Passat for me...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

id go for a 407. i personally think there the nicest looking car in there class. also beacuase of the depreciation you can get a newer one of them instead of an older passat. they also have a bullet proof diesel engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Yes the 407 is the one. I reciently bought a Passat tdi and I sold my Peugeot 406. I regret not getting into the 407 at the time.
    The 03/04 passat has a dashboard from 1997 which is designed over 10 years ago. My old 406 had much better electrics too. The 407 is a new modern design and is a superior car to drive. i.e. brakes and steering etc. The Passat is an older design and is replaced now (05 model).The emissions and tax is also better than a 1.9 tdi. The 130 TDI in the passat is worth these drawbacks though.
    But, then again, the passat will hold value better, but not by too much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Silvera wrote: »
    Alfa would be nice but Id have two issues with them - reliability and resale.

BMW - overpriced (Id struggle to buy a 01 or 02 with reasonable mileage within my budget) and a bit cramped inside.

I reckon it's looking very like a Passat for me...
    You shouldn't struggle at all - for 18K, you should get a 03 easily for 18K. Not hugely roomy alright, but I don't know if any of the others listed would offer much more space.

link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

Just be conscious that allot the cars in the top 15 on that link are not cleared (ie plus vrt)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

O7Pat wrote: »
    Just be conscious that allot the cars in the top 15 on that link are not cleared (ie plus vrt)
    Yes, I noticed that alright, you can discount any of the 04 ones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

id go for a ford mondeo

for that money you should be able to pick up a fresh one, better still go for a mondeo automatic zetech , lovely car
    saw one on carzone the other day

ford are very good now but they still unjustifiably dont hold there value that well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd say whatever you do wait till July and get one for less because the falling price of new diesels with their extra low road tax rates will have to force down the price of the older ones by a good bit too.

Advertisement