Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!! very draughty uPVC windows

Options
  • 31-01-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,

does anyone have any ideas how draughty uPVC windows could be sealed up to prevent draught? The draught is particularly bad when its window (like tonight) but very noticeable.

The draught is coming through where the window are 'sealed' between the part that opens and the frame itself. There is a basic rubber 'blade' on both the window and the frame but there are still fairly big gaps.
    Is there a stick on insulation strip which can be purchased or, perhaps, some sort of a foam which could be used to fill these gaps?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

Your double glazing sash sealing beads can fail over time and allow an uneven seal to your window frame these can be replaced by a competent local Glazing firm at the same time have them check sash alignment and friction stays handles etc...
    regards jbcford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In the mean time you can fit weatherproofing strips from the likes of Woodies. Just run them on the opposite surface to the rubber seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

Hi All,

thanks for your replies - that was quick.

I did have a look at the windows but I cant find a suitable location to put in a strip. It would seem that the only suitable place (i.e. where the window and frame come close to contacting each other) is where the existing (miserable) rubber blades are in place.

These windows are a cheap job (I bought the house from the first owner, house was built/first moved into in mid 2000).
    The fitting between the windows and their frames could indeed be the real problem now that you mention it. The utility room window is way too small for the frame its in (about and inch at the top in one place).

I will see if having them adjusted will help at all.

Thanks for your help once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

just a note to let you know I went with the stick on draft excluder solution in the end (I used the 'D' profile where there were bigger gaps and flat type where gaps were smaller (on latch side for example)) and that it went much better than anticipated. Windows are now perfectly sealed, you can hardly notice the extra seal on the window itself and the window closes OK and more solidly now.
    I was very pleased with the results so thanks again for all your help.

Advertisement