Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its "Euro" not "Euros"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What about those people who always say 'foot' when it should be 'feet'?

"He must have been six foot six"

"It was a twenty foot drop"

aaaarrrrrrrrrgggggg......

I have to restrain myself during moments like these! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Actually, that sounds right to me! O_o

Though for the life of me I couldn't give you a grammatical reason why it should be!

Where's Talliesin when you need him?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

What? No more playing footsie under the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

obl wrote: »
    Bull.

Finish = euro, euroa; sentti, senttiä.
    French = euro, euros; cent, cents.
    In french the last consonanat isn't pronounced unless the next word begins with a vowel or silent 'h'.
    euros would also seem to be present in Spanish.

I only ever use 'euro' and 'cent' as singular.

No. He is correct. Euro was supposed to be the plural of Euro as each language pluaralises in a different way. But for some reason Ireland was the only country that bothered informing their citizens of this. I always say Euro anyway.
    Wreck wrote: »
    According to the Boosh it's Euro's so thats the end of that. Unless you want to get trapped in a box by a cockney nutjob.

If you are going to stick an 'S' at the end you certainly don't need an apostrophe. But yeah... the use of the Euro currency in the Mighty Boosh is highly endearing... although they slipped up in the Crack Fox episode when the tramp was asking for pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

the first part of your post is 100% spot on. the people who usually say crips and bokkle and **** are skangers so its just another reason to dislike them, I suppose.

The rest of your post tho is dumb. I'd say Oh-8 in reference to a reg plate and a hundred. Thats just being finicky tbh.. altho I've never heard anyone say the first a hundred people to arrive. Maybe you're hanging around retards or something?[/QUOTE]

Lately it feels like I have. :( People say that " Oh" in place of the number zero LOTS. e.g. living in the Oh 1 area when they mean the 01 area (phone codes) etc. I know its pedantic but it irritates me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Well I must apologise but I say oh-1 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I remember when the single currency was being mooted and there was talk of Europe having a dollar - and thats what I've referred to it as since.

Everyone knows what I'm talking about and no one gets pissy when I add an 's' onto dollar.

People who refer to Euro's as YoYo's should be shot. In the orse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Isn't "oh" just another word for zero, nought etc?

What I don't get is, how in continetal europe, they always seem to right prices as
    19€99c
    It looks stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

kizzyr wrote: »

Lately it feels like I have. :( People say that " Oh" in place of the number zero LOTS. e.g. living in the Oh 1 area when they mean the 01 area (phone codes) etc. I know its pedantic but it irritates me. :)

Saying zero makes you sound like a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Daddy whats a euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

people who say 'euros' are the same annoying f**kers that say 'ATM Machine'. what did you think the M stood for ??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the plural of euro is aeros

and I've no idea why someone would need to use the plural of penis on a regular basis. YOREMA being the exception of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Right in the Queens hometown where it's meant to be the Queens English:

Yeah bruv, facking mint innit. Safe.
    Yes my friend, it is great is it not? Goodbye.

For f\cks sake, it's just the way people speak. Next you'll be giving out to the chinese for not using letters as you know them. Or actually give out about Irish.

"how dare the alphabet not have a K! humph, bloody peasants!"

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

cozmik wrote: »

QFT

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Blisterman wrote: »
    Isn't "oh" just another word for zero, nought etc?

What I don't get is, how in continetal europe, they always seem to right prices as
    19€99c
    It looks stupid.
    I hate the way european countries use a comma instead of a decimal place when quoting prices

Why do they do that anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

LOL, guess I'll just have to deal with that as my cross in life.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No. He is correct. Euro was supposed to be the plural of Euro as each language pluaralises in a different way. But for some reason Ireland was the only country that bothered informing their citizens of this. I always say Euro anyway.
    When they said that the plural of the "euro" was to be "euro" they were only reffering to the written word when using in any Europe wide financial government documents. It was nothing to do with how each countries citizens were supposed to be saying the word.

But you are correct that Ireland was the only country to miss read that document about the euros usage and then wrongly convince their citizens to say it incorrectly. Every other country follows their languages normal pluralisation rules, most of which stick an "s" or similar on the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I hate the way european countries use a comma instead of a decimal place when quoting prices

It was the world standard before the English decided to do their own thing - as with driving on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

It was to make things easier with the Euro changeover, it made prices look more like what people were used to.

Before the Euro a beer might have cost you a couple of thousand pesatas or a couple of million lira etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its convention. Maybe its not proper to say Euros but we all do so should it not just be accepted? Thats the whole idea behind language: this is why Google is a verb in the dictionary!

Also: ALUMINUM.

Ha.

EDIT: also reminded of a huge drunken row me and my brother had over "6th". I pronounce it "sicth" - he is fiercely adamant it is pronounced "sicsthd" or some bull like that...

• Advertisement

stevec wrote: »
    It was the world standard before the English decided to do their own thing - as with driving on the right.

Well our way makes sense.

A comma in the middle of a sentance. A full stop to end a sentance.
    Likewise, a comma in the middle of the number. A full stop to indicate, the decimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Clytus wrote: »
    Right...I remember just before the Euro changeover somone on the Pat Kenny show telling us why you cant pluralise the word Euro ( something to do with the word beginning and ending with a vowel)

If thats the case why do so so many News readers ,TV hosts, Radio broadcasters ( George Hook being the most guilty) and folks in general say "Euros"??

...and I may as well ask this while posting,but why on earth do some Dublin people find the need to refer to "Crisps" as "crips"???...are people with a Dublin accent just being lazy while they talk and cant be bothered to pull back thier tounge to pronounce the "Cris" part of the word??

Or maybe Im just missing something!!:(

Pity this thing does not quote titles!

"Its Euro nor Euros" - original thread title

Where in actual fact it should read

"It's Euro, not Euros."

I'm an arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

The title of this thread is based on a fallacy as mike65 pointed out in post 13.

So I would just like to state the OP does not like Cake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

people who say 'euros' are the same annoying f**kers that say 'ATM Machine'. what did you think the M stood for ??!

On a similar note, UCD spent a fortune rebranding themselves as UCD Dublin

doesn't send the best message out about the brightness of the institution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I 2nd that, I still call it "Quid" like I did before the change over....,
    who gives a fcuks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

TrogDor strikes again......
    funk-you wrote: »
    Right in the Queens hometown where it's meant to be the Queens English:

Yeah bruv, facking mint innit. Safe.
    Yes my friend, it is great is it not? Goodbye.

For f\cks sake, it's just the way people speak. Next you'll be giving out to the chinese for not using letters as you know them. Or actually give out about Irish.

"how dare the alphabet not have a K! humph, BURNING peasants!"

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Clytus wrote: »

...and I may as well ask this while posting,but why on earth do some Dublin people find the need to refer to "Crisps" as "crips"???...are people with a Dublin accent just being lazy while they talk and cant be bothered to pull back thier tounge to pronounce the "Cris" part of the word??

Or maybe Im just missing something!!:(

Spot on there Clytus.. The Dub, when talking just opens the gob and lets it go
    They are too lazy to use their tongues to pronounce anything usually more than on syllable.

hence. breakfasts= breakfastes
    Flaherty= Farety
    Corporation=Copporation
    Phibsboro= Fizzboro

ETc etc etc

You will note that the correct pronounciation of these words requires a certain effort of co-ordination of tongue and lips-obviously a bridge way too far for the typical Doob.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

slumped wrote: »
    Pity this thing does not quote titles!

"Its Euro nor Euros" - original thread title

Where in actual fact it should read

"It's Euro, not Euros."

I'm an arse.

Even though the thread title should be

"It's Euros, not Euro."

imo

I prefer the convention to "use the natural plurals".

Charlie McCreevey's not going to tell me how to pluralise Euro, we're not speaking French or German, we're speaking English, where you add an 's' at the end of a plural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro#In_Ireland

:(

Edit:actually, according to that webpage, in France it's Euros.

Good man good man.

So.. you apply the English idiom to all languages do you???

Well done well done..so you call gateaux= Gattex..you call "Italian" Eyetalian" but you don't call Italy ....Eyetaly.

Good man.. make it up as you go along,ignore the grammatical rules of the different languages.. ok ..what ever floats your boat I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

kizzyr wrote: »
    Whats wrong with being a bit posh?:confused:

Nothing. It's those posh supremacists that annoy me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Ah Jesus, I hate "euros" Similarly, its "cent" not "cents" Its all noncents really

Well cents was a word in the english language before the Euro was introduced. Euros wasn't.

Good man good man.

So.. you apply the English idiom to all languages do you???

Well done well done..so you call gateaux= Gattex..you call "Italian" Eyetalian" but you don't call Italy ....Eyetaly.

Good man.. make it up as you go along,ignore the grammatical rules of the different languages.. ok ..what ever floats your boat I suppose.

What language does the unit of currency "Euro" come from then?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Greek, where it's "Evro".

I'd like to systematically murder all people who say sikth instead of sixth.

Whatever about saying Euro, like Yen as opposed to Euros, like Shekels, anyone who believes 'cent' is a plural should be neutered.

No idea Baldwin ,no idea at all.

But I'll tell you what I do know.

I regard anyone who refers to 2 Euro as" 2 Euros",anyone who used to call 2 Pounds ,"2 Pound", who says "done" instead of "did" who says "seen" instead of "saw" who refers to cancer as " the cancer" as what Baldwin??

Lowlifes Baldwin,thats right lowlifes.

Now they might be fine upstanding citizens ,but those words plant them straight into the category of what Baldwin??

Lowlifes, thats what they are to me Baldwin.

No idea Baldwin ,no idea at all.

Oh well fair enough, so it's more of a general hatred.

I does be respectin that. And countin the Euros shrapnel in me pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Plural of Octopus.

Octopodes.

Call the grammer police quick. There's been a spill.

Nowt personal Baldwin,nowt at all.

Just ,well, you know yourself, some people let themselves down the minute they open their mouths.

Branded ,tagged, and categorised as soon as words stagger from their mouths like a badly fitting cheap suit,and just as damning .

never wrong Baldwin, never wrong.

Oh ffs ... as WWM said, who tf cares?!

I can be as pedantic as the next person, sometimes because too much sloppy grammar and spelling genuinely annoys me, especially in written documents; sometimes just out of mischief, tbh (see example of the latter earlier in this thread ;) ).

But this particular debate is about as silly as it gets.

Seriously, if someone says to you to-night: "Hi, you have just won a prize for being a wonderful person, here's five hundred euros!!" are you going to say "NO!! I won't take it! You should have said euro! EURO!!!!11!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

"He must have been six foot six"

aaaarrrrrrrrrgggggg......

I have to restrain myself during moments like these! :D

Six-foot becomes an adjective if you are describing something i.e. six-foot drop.

Six feet is completely different; it is six times the plural of the noun i.e. six feet of linen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yez Philistines. It's a 'peckage of crips'.
    Folex wrote: »
    Or how about the age old Dublin favourite: "We bet them in the match last week". Every time I hear this, I want to chew out my own spine.
    A true Dub would say "We won them in the match last week".

A nerdish twat.
    Overheal wrote: »
    ..also reminded of a huge drunken row me and my brother had over "6th". I pronounce it "sicth" - he is fiercely adamant it is pronounced "sicsthd" or some bull like that...
    Westbrit, tbh. Six, sixth, say it after me: six, sixth, six, sixth, six, sixth. Now you're suckin' diesel.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Jay P wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, I hate "euros" Similarly, its "cent" not "cents" Its all noncents really

No, it isn't.
    Greek, where it's "Evro".

I'd like to systematically murder all people who say sikth instead of sixth.

Whatever about saying Euro, like Yen as opposed to Euros, like Shekels, anyone who believes 'cent' is a plural should be neutered.

Euro is an English word. It's also a French word, a German word, a Greek word, a Irish word and so on. The pronunciation and spelling of the singular and plural of the word was worked out in each language long before the change-over. Every country in Europe uses the word in accordance with the rules of their own language. In English, the plural is spelled "euros" and "cents" and the "s" is pronounced, as is normal.

Read this page and be enlightened:

http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/euronames.html

Anyway, I'm not bothered how other people pronounce it, if they want to follow the morons in the Dáil and RTE who messed up during the change-over, that's their business. Just don't try and tell us what the correct way is, as you're plain wrong. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yay! two people got my joke :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Everyone who is currently saying "euro" will suddenly start saying it correctly once they start using euros in the queen vic and rovers and the feck up made by the government will finally be fixed. Until then we will just have to put up with one of these threads popping up every couple of months from someone who mistakenly thinks they are right in not using the s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I don't say euro's so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

when i was in thailand they cant say r properly. they say L instead.

so when i wanted money changed to tha baht they said two hundled eulo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

esel wrote: »
    A true Dub would say "We won them in the match last week"

"We winned", ftw.

yay! two people got my joke :)
    You made a joke?! O_o

Are you feeling all right? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dont worry about it. my jokes are usually too high brow for you anyway.
    which is why you think I never make jokes :)

really, I make them all the time. Usually at your expense.

:p:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement