Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Studio must have.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Although I have not used/heard this particular desk, I used to have a TLA 4 channel mic pre. I nearly had a party the day I got rid of it.
    Everything sounded grainy and indistinct. I know the idea of valves is to add a bit of grit and warmth, but no matter how low I set the input gain, there was always a harshness at the upper mids that would not go away.
    My experience with it has made me stay away from valve gear ever since, even though I am aware that TLA is considered the "diet coke" of valve gear compared to Manley, UA, tubetech etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Interesting you should mention such... I recall a post on GearSlutz a couple of weeks ago which said that the amplification in TLA 'valve' gear is primarily op-amp, and the valve's part was minimal sonically.

However in good boards fashion I must state I've not heard it myself. I can however vouch for the magic of Manley, UA and Tubetech....
    Not all of which I sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Writing off valve gear because of some TLA stuff is like swearing off solid state gear because of Behringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

teamdresch wrote: »
    Writing off valve gear because of some TLA stuff is like swearing off solid state gear because of Behringer.

I agree, but if your only experience of 'Valve stuff', and I use the term loosely, is the above mentioned then it's understandable.

What's great about high end gear in my experience is that no matter what way you turn the knobs it's hard to make stuff sound 'bad' only 'different'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I know their pre amps aren't great. But the Back end of the 8 channel mixer has got pretty good reviews. The thing has good features though, that was my main attraction to it. Anyone know of a similar box?

• Advertisement
Advertisement