Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice skating in Dublin

Options
  • 31-01-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there, does anyone know where you can do Ice skating lessons in dublin. The only place I have found on the net is the Ice Dome in Dundalk, has anyone done any lessons here before and if so where they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

Hello! Ur a month 2 late all the seasonal ice rinks have closed up! Theres no rinks left! Where I worked in the RDS we had a learn to skate class in early January!

However Dundalk has great facilities and classes check them out! Have you ever been there before? I'd highly recommend a visit for the public hours!

If your looking for figure skating lessons they are weekly up there and the instructors are cool! If its Ice Hockey :D There is learn to play sessions for all age groups! Check out their timetable for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dundalk is definitely worth a drive. The facilities up there are brilliant, and although I haven't taken lessons up there I'd imagine they are very good, going by the standard of everything else. Its something I'm going to look into once I've a means of getting up there and back regularly!

look up matthews coaches on parnell street It takes an hour and drops you at DKIT, 20 mins from the rink!

look up matthews coaches on parnell street It takes an hour and drops you at DKIT, 20 mins from the rink!

20 mins walk? Cost much?

Yeh check http://www.matthewscoach.com/

The rink is on the otherside of the college when you get off the bus! After you pass the crowne plaza get up and ask the driver 2 drop u at the college. Then walk down the road to the left of the college and its 20 mins straight walk to the ice rink!

If on the off chance your going up sunday let me know!

• Advertisement

Working all day Sunday unfortunately. Will try to head up for a few games now, haven't seen an Irish league game yet. €40 for five return tickets is brilliant value and it goes from Drumcondra which is very handy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

Which team would you support if you went down for a match? The Dundalk Bulls are by far the best team in the league. But it would be nice to see loads of dublin people coming up and supporting the Rams.

I go to the learn to skate on wednesdays, and it is very good. Catering for all skills levels. once you've got the basics down you can decide if you want to go on to learn to play or the figure skating classes.

Will you be there on sunday TheBigRedDog, I'm going down to support the Belfast Bruins.

KevinMc wrote: »
    Which team would you support if you went down for a match? The Dundalk Bulls are by far the best team in the league. But it would be nice to see loads of dublin people coming up and supporting the Rams.

Yeah I'd imagine I'd support the Rams. Wouldn't see the logic in supporting anyone else really! The Giants have another "home" game in the Ice Dome in March don't they? That would be good to see.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Yeah I'd imagine I'd support the Rams. Wouldn't see the logic in supporting anyone else really! The Giants have another "home" game in the Ice Dome in March don't they? That would be good to see.

Yeah. That's would be good and it's always nice to think that while Dundalk and the south of Ireland aren't in the Elite League people from all over will get behind them. There was an excellent atmosphere at the last gamewas brillant. Although I would advise you to try and get up to the Odyssey soon.

The biggest match of the year so far is on tomorrow. Can't wait! The giants went top of the league last night and now play second place coventry tomorrow in the odyssey.

But Back to the Dublin Rams. I'm sure if you go to a match some time you could bring a County Dublin flag. Would help build the atmosphere.

Yeah. That's would be good and it's always nice to think that while Dundalk and the south of Ireland aren't in the Elite League people from all over will get behind them. There was an excellent atmosphere at the last gamewas brillant. Although I would advise you to try and get up to the Odyssey soon.

The biggest match of the year so far is on tomorrow. Can't wait! The giants went top of the league last night and now play second place coventry tomorrow in the odyssey.

But Back to the Dublin Rams. I'm sure if you go to a match some time you could bring a County Dublin flag. Would help build the atmosphere.
    I was going to go to the Hull game in the Odyssey last night but woke up too late...

• Advertisement

I was working so I didn't make it either? But from what i hear there was nothing really exciting to write home about. A midweek game against a team in the bottom two. It was never going to get the same atmosphere as last week in Dundalk or the match tomorrow night.

Are you able to get to the Odyssey tomorrow night. I'm hopefully getting my tickets tonight. From what I hear they've sold more than usual so the prime seats might already be away!

I was working so I didn't make it either? But from what i hear there was nothing really exciting to write home about. A midweek game against a team in the bottom two. It was never going to get the same atmosphere as last week in Dundalk or the match tomorrow night.

Are you able to get to the Odyssey tomorrow night. I'm hopefully getting my tickets tonight. From what I hear they've sold more than usual so the prime seats might already be away!

Nah its rare enough that I can get two days off in a row so getting to Belfast from Dublin is a bit tricky. Will hopefully head up at some stage though. Pity Dublin doesn't have a team in the Elite League.

Take it your working tomorrow? Is there no way you could get to Belfast before 7? surely you don't have to get up early on a sunday!

I guess you'll just have to make do with the Rams in Dundalk for now?

Yeh I'm headin up! I'll be supporting the bulls tho! Do you know what the story is about skating beforehad cos apparently last week the public sessions were cancelled!? It shud be a good game! Do you play yourself, I'm hopefully playin next season but I'm up 2 my eyes till summer!
    I support any of the dublin teams, def not the bulls B's in a league team! I dont like that team in the slightest! They treat their player like crap! I'll probably try out for the flyers or rams!

Take it your working tomorrow? Is there no way you could get to Belfast before 7?

Working 4-8, I don't do normal shifts!
    surely you don't have to get up early on a sunday!

I guess you'll just have to make do with the Rams in Dundalk for now?

Work 8-8 on Sunday too. :D

Yeah it'll have to just be the Rams for now. Maybe someone should start a new thread in the Hockey Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kookie

Hey Kevin, thats great thanks. I have checked out their website alright in it does seem to be pretty good. I wouldn't mind doing the learn to skate for beginners but I work in Dublin till 6.00 n those classes start at like 6.45 I think so I'd never make it up on time, I was looking into doing the figure skating lessons though but do you think u would need to do those beginners classes before attempting the figure skating? I think the new course will be starting soon n Im def thinking of doing it.

Do you live in Dublin, how long does it take you to get up to Dundalk? It's such a pity there is no year round ice rink in dublin esp when so many people use the ice rinks at xmas time!!!

Hello! Ur a month 2 late all the seasonal ice rinks have closed up! Theres no rinks left! Where I worked in the RDS we had a learn to skate class in early January!

However Dundalk has great facilities and classes check them out! Have you ever been there before? I'd highly recommend a visit for the public hours!

If your looking for figure skating lessons they are weekly up there and the instructors are cool! If its Ice Hockey :D There is learn to play sessions for all age groups! Check out their timetable for the info!

Hey, no I haven't been to the Dundalk one before thats why I was curious to find out what it was like. Yea its the figure skating Im interested in. Do you play Ice hockey up there?

Cool well go up someday for a skate, Sometimes the instructors are there so you could talk to them! I used to work with a woman called Joanne. If your set on doing it buy yourself a pair of skates asap!

Driving takes me an hour and a lot of tole fares(€12.60 return incl. port tunnel) but If you get the matthews coaches service it takes roughly an hour or an hour and a half on the 100X Bus Eireann! They are very cheap to!

At the moment I dont play but I practice most sundays and I will be starting next season! If your coming up some sunday be sure and pm me!

I must be getting old but what does PM me mean?? Also where can you get skates do they sell them up in Dundalk or would you have to buy them off the net. I know that Dundalk rent out the skates if you don't have your own but are they those crap plastic one's you get at the xmas rinks here cause I find them real awkward to skate in?

I think I'd rather drive than get the coach, an hour isn't too bad I suppose.

pm is private message, its how to contact people on a 1 to 1 basis on boards! Yeh they have a good range of both hockey and figure skakes! I much prefer getting busses myself!

• Advertisement

kookie wrote: »
    Hey Kevin, thats great thanks. I have checked out their website alright in it does seem to be pretty good. I wouldn't mind doing the learn to skate for beginners but I work in Dublin till 6.00 n those classes start at like 6.45 I think so I'd never make it up on time, I was looking into doing the figure skating lessons though but do you think u would need to do those beginners classes before attempting the figure skating? I think the new course will be starting soon n Im def thinking of doing it.

Do you live in Dublin, how long does it take you to get up to Dundalk? It's such a pity there is no year round ice rink in dublin esp when so many people use the ice rinks at xmas time!!!

Hope you got sorted out with someone to give you a few pointers. I've only really done the beginner classes cos they suit me since I work in Newry. But you could prob get away with the figure skating classes if you were able to get a few time and are confident to move forward on the ice. I watched on figure skating lesson and it did seem have have people of varying abilities!

Hey yea I did thanks. Im prob gonna head up next wk end and check it out for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bronwyn/sa

Hi all,

I will be moving to Dublin from South Africa in the next few months and I am keen to continue Synchro Skating. Are there adult teams in Dublin????

:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dublin doesnt have an iceskating rink - so no

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i worked in goskate over the xmas,looking to keep upthe skating, how much the bus upto dundalk?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Or get the Matthews bus, a much nicer travelling experience than Bus Eireann!

http://www.matthewscoach.com

Have no idea how to post a link so if that don't work google them!

Advertisement