Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish shooter Digest ?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Evening,

By any chance is there anyone online tonight that can post a copy
    of the Airsoft Article that has appeared on the Latest Issue of the Irish
    Shooters Digest.

As I collect Airsoft Kit as well as shoot I have an interest in both sports.
    Unfortunately I have not seen the Digest in my local Easons since Nov 07
    and have missed out on the Christmas, Jan and now the Feb issues.

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Copyright ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

People post Newspaper articles on boards.ie all the time
    nobody kicks up over them. Its been done here before without
    issue.

Should be no difference between a newspaper article and and
    Irish shooters digest article. I have no problems buying the magazine
    Its just has not been available in any newsagents where i live since last
    Nov. If I could have bought it I wouldn't be asking.

If isomeone was to post the words of the article, or a review
    of the article or a summary of the article I would be more than happy
    too if thats not in breach of copyright issues?

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

If isomeone was to post the words of the article,

Then it would be in breach of copyright law.

When you take someone elses ideas or content and reproduce them it's referred to as intellectual property theft , and it's a crime.
    Asking someone to commit a crime on your behalf , is a crime too .

I am trying to keep you out of trouble by it pointing out to you , so please take it in the spirit in which it is intended .

Further reading ...

http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/04/10/what-do-you-do-when-someone-steals-your-content/

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

As I understand it:

Strictly speaking you "breach" or "infringe" copyright, you can't steal it without somehow taking possession of the rights inherent in copyright from their rightful owner. Hence the use of the words "theft" or "stealing" are usually nonsensical with respect to copyright. People like to use them to make the offence of copyright infringement sound more like theft of real, tangible property.

That said, copyright infringement is against the law. It's best to avoid doing it even if everyone else seems to be. The Copyright and Related Acts 2000 is surprisingly readable (as laws go :rolleyes:) if you want to see what you can and can't do with copyright.

Now, back to the topic at hand. You're probably best asking someone who has a copy to lend it to you. Is there anyone reading this forum who has a copy and would be willing to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Anyone else of the opinion that I have that showing Airsoft in the Shooters Digest is not appropriate. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't airsfot all about dressing up in military garb with airsoft replica's of military hardware, employing military enagement & evasion tactics to try and shoot other people. Now I can understand why shooters would have an interest in airsoft but I think articles like that should remain in airsoft magazines. Possibly it was just one big advertisement for airsfot shooting and specifically targeted at the shooting community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Anyone else of the opinion that I have that showing Airsoft in the Shooters Digest is not appropriate.
    Lots of people, including most of the airsoft people, who want their sport associated with real guns as little as most target shooters want their sport associated with airsoft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

packas wrote: »
    Anyone else of the opinion that I have that showing Airsoft in the Shooters Digest is not appropriate. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't airsfot all about dressing up in military garb with airsoft replica's of military hardware, employing military enagement & evasion tactics to try and shoot other people. Now I can understand why shooters would have an interest in airsoft but I think articles like that should remain in airsoft magazines. Possibly it was just one big advertisement for airsfot shooting and specifically targeted at the shooting community.

So they use the same type clothing and similar tactics to hunters and deerstalkers but nothing dies if they are succesful whereas the hunter/deerstalker hopes to kill at the end of his "evasion and engagement tactics", i.e. evading being detected by his quarry and engaging it with the objective of killing it. Seems like good practice technique for hunters, perhaps.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

A lot of shooters have airsoft stuf, I think the article serves to inform them what the kit is actually intended for.

Gerri wrote: »
    So they use the same type clothing and similar tactics to hunters and deerstalkers but nothing dies if they are succesful whereas the hunter/deerstalker hopes to kill at the end of his "evasion and engagement tactics", i.e. evading being detected by his quarry and engaging it with the objective of killing it. Seems like good practice technique for hunters, perhaps.:D

I'm an active target shooter & have been actively deer stalking for about 7-8 years & I'd say I've become a better deer stalker by understanding the quarry. So I think the arguement that airspft can help your deer staking skills could be argued a bit (not going to argue that though as I've not yet had a go at airsoft). Remember that deer mostly sense by smell & movement. I only wished to point out that Airsoft in my view is playing soldiers without the fear & pain of live combat. So my question as to whether or not it's appropriate for this to be in a magazines that promotes aspects of sport shooting and associated sports i.e dog handling is still a valid one I think.

Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Repeating Henry

Dog and Goose best mag ever, now with added easy soft.

What's a newby to think. Gone are the days when you could digest
    and have a good read, it was a good mag that covered all aspects of
    the sport equally. Is it that old man time that has taken it's toll or has the
    well run dry. A great pity. Thats it had enough not waiting around for the
    horse to appear on the front cover next issue!

• Advertisement

Very Little of the Shooters Digest Interests me, I buy it every month
    that I can mostly for putting names to faces and the ads.
    I have Zero interest in Hunting since I am only a paper puncher.
    I for one find it a refreshing change if and when there are non-hunting related articles
    on it. I think it should have more of a balance that covers a wider
    aspect or all aspects of shooting sports.

I think its acceptable for just one issue of the digest to veer away
    a little bit and maybe touch on a distant cousin so to speak of shooting.
    Considering there is so much confusion as to what airsoft is people
    cant tell the difference between an airgun,BB gun, pellet gun, and airsoft gun.

Lots of shooters seem to Have airsoft guns I wonder just why that is.
    Some of the Pistol owners buy Airsoft versions of their own guns.
    I have seen plastic BB's a few times at the range I shoot at.
    One of the Gun dealers in Ireland also sells Airsoft products.
    All hints that Irish shooters may have a slight interest in either airsoft as a sport
    or simply buying or collecting the kit!!!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Wouldn't be familiar with the difference between airsoft guns and BB guns myself, what is it?

bullets wrote: »
    Very Little of the Shooters Digest Interests me, I buy it every month
    that I can mostly for putting names to faces and the ads.
    I have Zero interest in Hunting since I am only a paper puncher.
    I for one find it a refreshing change if and when there are non-hunting related articles
    on it. I think it should have more of a balance that covers a wider
    aspect or all aspects of shooting sports.

I think its acceptable for just one issue of the digest to veer away
    a little bit and maybe touch on a distant cousin so to speak of shooting.
    Considering there is so much confusion as to what airsoft is people
    cant tell the difference between an airgun,BB gun, pellet gun, and airsoft gun.

Lots of shooters seem to Have airsoft guns I wonder just why that is.
    Some of the Pistol owners buy Airsoft versions of their own guns.
    I have seen plastic BB's a few times at the range I shoot at.
    One of the Gun dealers in Ireland also sells Airsoft products.
    All hints that Irish shooters may have a slight interest in either airsoft as a sport
    or simply buying or collecting the kit!!!

~B

Maybe if airsoft grows it will have a magazine of its own as it does in other countries. It is seen by many as a different sport to shooting & that's reflected on boards.ie. It has it's own forum in the sports section.

it already has about five magazines on the shelves in Easons...

Sparks wrote: »

Wow. Are any Irish produced though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Not yet but the IAA should be publishing the first issue of its E-Zine shortly. Eventually we hope to publish it for real with paper and everything :D

Personally I think there may have been a more suitable place for the article but even so it was a great article and I was thrilled to see airsoft finally get some good press. It's also increased the ISD circulation figures by at least 1, I had a good read of it on the bus into work this morning.

I only know of 1 magazine
    on sale in any of the easons I have visited in Cork/Dublin/Limerick
    specifically looking for magazines on it.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Repeating Henry

Packas, on a more serious note after going over your first post, is the fact
    the assailant in the shooting that took place recently where
    no matter how many shots got fired, the man in the car could
    not be hit fatally, if this shooter had practiced in simulated combat
    shooting at human figures with the very same imitation firearm
    that was used on the day the chances of this being fatal could
    possibly have been improved considerably. Practicing in such a
    tactical way combined with adrenaline rush, heart beat and
    breathing increases gets as close to the real live situation as
    near possible. Does this sport have the type of vetting you
    have when you apply for a firearms licence, could the shooter
    now go and get some practice in without being checked?

This is not the Alimo or the Joe Duffy debate all over again but
    the general public and more specifically the DOJ / Minster must
    get the creeps with this type of PR from a firearms shooting mag
    the combination is just wrong, so I would have to agree with Packas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Ah it's only a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I would be curious as to what is the ISSF position on its members taking part in any "Airsoft Type Events " ?

John

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

les45 wrote: »
    I would be curious as to what is the ISSF position on its members taking part in any "Airsoft Type Events " ?

They probably wouldn't have that much of a problem with it.

On the other hand, if the NTSA started running airsoft events it might be a different story.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have an Airsoft forum here on Boards.

We don't encourage users to post articles here for copyright reasons. We do ask that if you post an article from, say, breakingnews.ie that you link to the article too to give them a bit of advertising on the back of it. Most sites seem very happy with this situation so long as we dont abuse it.

Perhaps this magazine would be interested in the OP subscribing, most magazines are!

DeV.

IRLConor wrote: »
    They probably wouldn't have that much of a problem with it.
    On the other hand, if the NTSA started running airsoft events it might be a different story.
    ISSF hasn't said anything I've heard of regarding airsoft. If this stems from what I think it stems from, what Conor said above is the situation with IPSC/IDPA/PPC events as well. NTSA members shooting IPSA events as IPSA members - sure, no problem. NTSA running an IPSA event or being tied to the IPSA - big, you-can't-send-teams-to-the-olympics-anymore problems.
    I suspect, from the nature of the IPSC-ISSF conflict, that the same would happen if airsoft tried to enter the Olympics as an event.

However, while it sounds all nasty and horrible, in real life it's only a headache for administrators - as far as shooters are concerned, it's a non-event. Several NTSA members already shoot practical events "in their spare time" ( :D ), and at least one or two are pretty decent at it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

...Several NTSA members already shoot practical events "in their spare time" ( :D ), and at least one or two are pretty decent at it already.

And vice versa. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi all, Didn`t see shooting digest yet but lads look at us already! Oh this airsoft thing should not be in my publication What, What old boy, snobbery.
    I dont play airsoft,paintball or do re-enactment, but I can understand that people are different then me and have different interests. Now and then my interests will cross over with someone else`s that id only ever meet by us having the same interest. I look at it as having made me afew friend over the years. Will people stop and see that what we do to distance ourselves from other "GUN" (shaped) sports, is doing to them what the general "non shooting" public do to us.

We should take a very close look at what is happening in the UK. Its a slow death to all and any shooting sport over there. De-acts are becoming harder to get for re-enactors, Airsoft you have to be a registered club member to own one, replica or blankfire again have to prove your a member of a re-enactment club.

Those not interested in any of these might say "well its all well and good as long as my sport is not involved or affected". Think again my friends. Its a slow slope but sooner or later new laws are passed that WILL affect your sport, and not for the better.

You remember the poem:

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

This was a poem about nazi germany. Im not saying we live in times like this, but all our shooting spots, what ever they are, are under the spot lights from government laws. They can be picked off one at a time unless we look out for the other mans sport or hobby. As it is now happening in the UK. Our hobby is not a right its a privilege. It can be nibbled away from us before we even had time to enjoy it again. All it will take is one nut with a licenced firearm and its gone again.

On a lighter note:D the Gun mart covers all shooting related sports and hobbies and seems to do it well.

Oh and hope its not a copyright thing posting this poem! if it is I will remove it.

Erm, chem, airsoft doesn't want to be associated with us. For very good reasons. It's not snobbery, it's pragmatism and practicality.

Erm, chem, airsoft doesn't want to be associated with us. For very good reasons. It's not snobbery, it's pragmatism and practicality.

I know sparks but it will be there loss and no point in saying we dont want them as they dont want us logic. You know what the general public think of anything gun shaped. It would be better for all to stand together, rather then be picked off one at a time as you know the voting public only see a gun, plastic, metal or laminate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hardly the point Chem. If they don't want to be associated with firearms, then what good does our imposing ourselves on them without their say so help?

And what would be the point?

rrpc wrote: »
    Hardly the point Chem. If they don't want to be associated with firearms, then what good does our imposing ourselves on them without their say so help?

And what would be the point?

OK rrpc I understand your point. But try think outside the box. If airsoft or replica weapoms come under licence will you say anything? Im not saying we should IMPOSE ourselves on anyone, just not be so "its not anything to do with us" stance. Just if we could come to gether as one "shooting intrest body" it will be a lot larger group to deal with voting wise then eg: pistol shooters as their own group, target shooters or hunting.

divide and conquer as they say. I would march against any for any loss of any shooting, be it air soft or air rifle, even if i dont follow it as a sport. Because I know my sport might be next

• Advertisement

Chem, the airsoft people don't want to be connected with real firearms. This has been discussed a lot over on the airsoft forum, right from its inception.

As to the article, it was okay. Except for the mention of modifying airsoft toys to increase their power... but then again the author doesn't live in the ROI anymore so the lack of focus on what's legal here could be excused I suppose. And a more cynical person might look at the extent of coverage of one shop in the article and note the full-page advert two pages after the article and ponder things like objectivity and such ;)

Advertisement