Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish shooter Digest ?

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I would imagine that the general public (at least the clear thinking general public) doesn't have as much of a problem with the "gun shaped" things as they do with the "bullet shaped" things...

There's not a lot of public objection to paintball for example...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

BULLITS,

Here in Dublin the shooting shops carry copies of the magazine each month - have you tried the local shooting shops?

If you're interested in the magazine they operate a subscription system. I find it great - no rushing to newsagents or forgetting....as the weeks seem to fly by these days.

It's €45, incl. p.&p. for 11 months to R.O.I. and it arrives by post on the last day of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cal Ward

Thank you for your comments both positive and negative.

Regarding appropriateness; I researched and wrote the article because it seemed like an enjoyable project, which it was, and the Airsoft people, when contacted, were enthusiastic. We had a wonderful day in Dublin. I agree Airsoft publications are the best forum for Airsoft. The feedback from readers indicates a considerable degree of interest among shooters (especially in the hardware) and I will therefore return to this topic occasionally. It is my personal experience that shooters tend to be interested in disciplines they are not directly involved in and shooting magazines cater for that interest.

Could someone let me know what exactly the factual errors were? I'm not VASTLY informed on this topic.

Cal Ward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cal Ward wrote: »
    Thank you for your comments both positive and negative.

Could someone let me know what exactly the factual errors were? I'm not VASTLY informed on this topic.

Cal Ward

Evening. There is a thread about the article over on the airsoft board at the moment.

I just managed to read the article earlier today. I must say as a Shooter and
    someone interested in Airsoft I found it a refreshing change to see the sport
    portraid in the media in a positive manner. The lads over on the airsoft board
    may be able to help you out with regards to any factual errors if there were any. (I think the board members here may get a little bit peeved if people keep talking about airsoft on the shooting boards... I couldnt care a less but I'm sure I am in the minority that would think that way)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I'm into guns. Real guns and fake guns. They are in fact cool and interesting. I know we're supposed to say that we are only interested in competing in the olympics and such like and they are merely a tool to help us control our breathing and other such nonsense.

As a child I "played at guns". Now I play with real guns. That is not bad or incorrect.

Now grow up and stop thinking you're better than anybody else! And that goes for the airsoft guys too!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To be fair, just because a lot of shooters have an interest in something doesn't make it on topic here. Lots of shooters are parents, but there is a Parenting forum for that and threads about spanking your kids would be off-topic here. Unless you intend to spank them with a gun and want to know which would would fit the job best. :)

We have a forum for Airsoft for the same reason. Threads would be on topic here only where Airsoft and hunting/target shooting intersected.

Btw, I'm not wagging a finger here, I'm just explaining how I think things should be categorised. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

When it comes to Irish shooting magazines unfortunately there is only one. Every time I read it I seem to have the same experience. For me it always seems to go like this:

1) Positive review of low budget equipment on test.
    2) Generally a large advertisement for the same equipment somewhere in the magazine.
    3) Many of the photographs from the article taken directly from advertisement.

I had to laugh, this month they even have a diagram that seems to be coloured in by crayon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

DeVore wrote: »
    To be fair, just because a lot of shooters have an interest in something doesn't make it on topic here. Lots of shooters are parents, but there is a Parenting forum for that and threads about spanking your kids would be off-topic here. Unless you intend to spank them with a gun and want to know which would would fit the job best. :)

We have a forum for Airsoft for the same reason. Threads would be on topic here only where Airsoft and hunting/target shooting intersected.

Btw, I'm not wagging a finger here, I'm just explaining how I think things should be categorised. :)

DeV.

I fully agree. While I have no problem wit airsoft I I would have an issue with it being a regular feature in a shooting magazine for all the reasons discussed here plus as Sparks has said in a post "the airsoft people don't want to be connected with real firearms." I think it it neither sport any good to like them.

regards,
    Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cal Ward wrote: »
    Could someone let me know what exactly the factual errors were?
    The airsoft people can no doubt give technical details on any airsoft errors. One of those which jumped out at me however, is that air rifles do not start at 12 foot pounds of muzzle energy; 12 is the legal limit for air rifles which are not classed as firearms in the UK, and it's one of the highest such limits in the EU. Germany, for example, sets it at the lower level of 7 joules; but all air rifles legally sold in those countries as non-firearms come in under those limits. Since that's the very mechanism by which airsoft is now legal in the ROI, it seemed a rather obvious error.

There's also the picture of the pistol being chronographed, with the captions saying it was for accuracy; in fact it's for legality, as if (with a standard projectile) the velocity exceeds a set limit, the pistol would be defined as a firearm. That's also why the notes regarding increasing the power of airsoft toys are not really in airsoft's best interest, but then, that doesn't exactly follow the strict definition of "factual error"...

dresden8 wrote: »
    I'm into guns. Real guns and fake guns. They are in fact cool and interesting. I know we're supposed to say that we are only interested in competing in the olympics and such like and they are merely a tool to help us control our breathing and other such nonsense.
    Oh yay. Portrayed as elitist snobs again, by folks who don't quite get that saying we're elitist snobs is as divisive as if we actually were elitist snobs instead of just being interested in something that they're not interested in.

Look. Airsoft's young in the ROI and frankly, under threat because of bad PR imagery and early muppetry by one or two people who were about as interested in the sport as a joyrider is interested in the finer points of F1 racing. As a result, any association that could cause confusion in the eyes of the Gardai or Joe Public as to whether they were using real firearms or not, would be very harmful to them. So they didn't apply to join the SSAI/NRPAI/NTSA/NASRPC/NRAI/<insert appropriate alphabet soup here>. And they wanted their own forum. And they formed their own NGB. There's no animosity between "us" and "them" (and several of "us" are "them" and vice versa). That's it, that's all there is to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Airsoft and paintball stuff ...In the airsoft and paintball forum ?

sounds like common sense to me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

jaycee wrote: »
    Airsoft and paintball stuff ...In the airsoft and paintball forum ?

sounds like common sense to me !

Segretation, that's right !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Probably time to put this thread to rest in the shooting forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I think the topic was lost somewhere along the way.

Agreed the Airsoft and Paintball forum is the place for discussing things Airsoft and Paintball - I follow it with interest.

However, the original question from Pat has merit here - why was the "Shooting" Digest covering Airsoft.

I think you will find one particular post in this thread answers that question succinctly.
    Wouldn't be familiar with the difference between airsoft guns and BB guns myself, what is it?

I, for one, am glad it has not been covered for the specific interst of the shooting community. Amny of the subscribers of the digest have heard of airsoft and many of them have heard bad things - kids acting the maggot, etc.

I Think that the digest informing the greater shooting community exactly what is involved, the conditions under which it happens, the types of Airsoft equipment around, who has it, etc only helps to inform people.

Now we all know, whether or not we have an interest is irrelevant.

If the digest covered a hunt on horseback would we be up in arms (no pun intended) - I doubt it - everyone to their own, If they cover ferreting would be care, doubtful. How about Falconry - it think not. Not one of them involve a firearm - neither does Airsoft - nuf said.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    If the digest covered ... Falconry
    They did.
    To be honest, all the field sports stuff does is make me buy Target Sports instead. There's not much ISSF stuff in TS but there's lots of other stuff like black powder, fullbore target shooting, that sort of thing; and if I want field sports, there are other Irish Field Sports magazines out there.
    Personally, if I buy the Irish Shooters Digest, I don't expect to find I've paid for a knock-off of Field Sports or whatever. I expect to find stuff of interest to Shooters. Gundogs is about as far afield as I'd expect them to roam.
    That lack of focus is the main reason I stopped writing for the Digest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Repeating Henry

Final comments. I don't think its about snobbery or who or what gets reviewed in the Digest. Because the Digest mostly advertises and deals with firearms of various kinds, mixing Airsoft especially assault styled replica weapons might confuse the casul browser as to what exactly are the types of firearms available to license here in the ROI. Result, negative PR more anti shooting sports feeding.

Question to the N.G.B

Some of your members mentioned they would like to try night exercises using night vision, if they do this informally, do you advise them to inform the local Garda as to where this activity will take place.
    The Sunday Tribune yesterday, front page on a certain splinter group preparing to resume activities in the North.
    Fellujah Hollywood some place up North / Ireland? Does it matter.

What if the Ranger wing gets called out, one of your members fails to stop has a real looking AK in his hand. So while Airsoft looks to be good fun it does need to be mindful that the type of tactical training you do, replicates the real thing. In the UK one reason for proposed regulation is for the obvious risk that Airsoft ranges could be used by home grown Brittish & Foreign Fanatics who have prooved to be very resourceful and adaptable, they might think, Why go to Prague when they can train at home.

I hope Airsoft has tight regulations in place. It took a very long time to get the type of firearms back that are now available here to enjoy, it would also take very little to turn the clock back if we all collectively become arrogant and careless.

Should Airsoft re-consider and have the NGB become affiliated to one of the above mentioned Bodies. I see the Banned one got mentioned so don't use ......this Governing body in response to this posting, seek advise first.

5.56mm Steyr Aug says to BB Steyr Aug! Hands up.

BB Aug says no! and points his BB Aug at 5.56mm Steyr Aug.

BB say's got you first sucker, 5.56mm reports with a Bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What if the Ranger wing gets called out, one of your members fails to stop has a real looking AK in his hand.

good god naivety at its hightest, the rangers have bigger things to deal with and would not be

involved in such an event it would be the ERU actually. do you think they are going to use army

special forces to deal with that situation? :rolleyes:

:cool::cool::cool:

who in their right mind would point an airsoft device at an armed garda?

think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

blay1 wrote: »
    who in their right mind would point an airsoft device at an armed garda?

think about it

is that a rhetorical question?

think about it again

• Advertisement

Back to the scenario. If you prefer .308 Win will do the job even better, good Idea! Has replicas firearms ever been used for a criminal offence, yes, might
    they face ERU in my scenario, it can happen especially if a substance has
    been taken and judgment is impaired. This scenario is different to the first
    and previous posting.

maglite wrote: »
    is that a rhetorical question?

think about it again

the question is: who in their right mind is going to point an airsoft at an armed garda? catch that?

excluding someone on crack etc, impaired judgement as you said

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

the question is: who in their right mind is going to point an airsoft at an armed garda? catch that?

excluding someone on crack etc, impaired judgement as you said

Question: Have blank firers, replicas, lookalike firearms been used before in crimes.

If it happens it won't be as funny as I thought it was when I read it here :D

Sikamick wrote: »
    Question: Have blank firers, replicas, lookalike firearms been used before in crimes.

I beleive they have :confused:

Sikamick wrote: »

possibly, but they didnt point them at armed gardai because if they did there

would be one extra grave in the country.

and plus a crime can be commited woth anything it doesnt have to be gun

possibly, but they didnt point them at armed gardai because if they did there

would be one extra grave in the country

And you think this has never happened ? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

I read the airsoft article in the ISD, looks like a bunch of men playing soldiers really, fair enough, let them off it's their sport, or game or past-time or whatever you care to call it.
    Can't understand why Cal Ward gets 5 pages worth but then again I usually skip him anyway.

The guns look like the real thing, machine guns and semiautomatic rifles and all sorts. I think if you were a collector, or fancied collecting, they would be a good idea. I'm sure not everyone wants to pretend to be the green berets.

And you think this has never happened ? :mad:

did i say that? when has it happened since you seem to know?

lets just agree airsfts are okay when they're in proper hands yeah? anything can be dangerous in the wrong hands,

agreed?

• Advertisement

Banjax wrote: »
    I read the airsoft article in the ISD, looks like a bunch of men playing soldiers really, fair enough, let them off it's their sport, or game or past-time or whatever you care to call it.
    Can't understand why Cal Ward gets 5 pages worth but then again I usually skip him anyway.

The guns look like the real thing, machine guns and semiautomatic rifles and all sorts. I think if you were a collector, or fancied collecting, they would be a good idea. I'm sure not everyone wants to pretend to be the green berets.

nobodys forcing you to play! :rolleyes:

Advertisement