Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish shooter Digest ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Well, I know what you mean, but I think there is more scope for these airsoft guns than just using them as an excuse to put on war paint and out flank your mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Banjax wrote: »
    Well, I know what you mean, but I think there is more scope for these airsoft guns than just using them as an excuse to put on war paint and out flank your mates.

ah of course i dont dispute that, :)

:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

blay1 wrote: »
    did i say that? when has it happened since you seem to know?

lets just agree airsfts are okay when they're in proper hands yeah? anything can be dangerous in the wrong hands,

agreed?

Your quite correct there is nothing wrong with air soft, as a matter of fact they are ideal for target shooters to practice with. The problem is the military combat/ training and the possibility of the wrong type of people getting into it,the people in the sport(air soft) need to make sure that there is regulation to stop anything serious happening, as quoted by Repeating Henry.

(The wrong people)The same applies to regular firearms/clubs.

One thing before I go, remember it took 35 years to get what we have back. I was 21 years of age when they were taken in, I'm now 54, a lot of lost years.

I would never try to knock any other persons sport, until it affects mine.

Sikamick wrote: »
    Your quite correct there is nothing wrong with air soft, as a matter of fact they are ideal for target shooters to practice with. The problem is the military combat/ training and the possibility of the wrong type of people getting into it,the people in the sport need to make sure that there is regulation to stop anything serious happening, as quoted by Repeating Henry.

(The wrong people)The same applies to regular firearms/clubs.

One thing before I go, remember it took 35 years to get what we back. I was 21 years of age when they were taken in, I'm now 54, a lot of lost years.

there is regulation, the IAA are the offical body for it now and they are doing

a great job :)

there is no combat "training" its just paintball with 6 mm bb's. just guys shooting at other guys,

we aren't trained in any big way in tactics etc

500th post wooh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I think what he's trying to get accross is that it could be used by people to train people in military tactics in an innocent looking fashion

• Advertisement

500th post wooh!

Quality is better than quantity :p

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Let s not get into airsoft bashing! Everyone to their own sport. They have an association and venues to do their skirmishing. This is great! Any tool out in the wicklow mountains at night with military attire and military looking Airsoft guns, will get reported by joe public and it may have consequences too serious to think about.

But this discussion has digressed too much and is not about shooting anyhow. Mods, Time to close the thread.....

there is regulation, the IAA are the offical body for it now and they are doing

a great job :)

there is no combat "training" its just paintball with 6 mm bb's. just guys shooting at other guys,

we aren't trained in any big way in tactics etc

500th post wooh!

Maybe I'm looking at the photo's in the wrong way or maybe the caption under the first photo on the top right (Fellujah) its called public perception.(Bad Image)

I think what he's trying to get accross is that it could be used by people to train people in military tactics in an innocent looking fashion

theres basically no tactics in it! hit/run! simple!

and you can learn tactics online and from books and if al qaeda were coming

here, i think they'll have been trained in afghanistan and any gangland

criminals that mights use airsoft to learn tactics would only really learn how

to flank etc. no serious military tactics.

hit/run!

But not in a military way :p

• Advertisement

i dont even know how to respond to that frankly

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

Maybe I'm looking at the photo's in the wrong way or maybe the caption under the first photo on the top right (Fellujah) its called public perception.

i dont even know how to respond to that frankly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Just to clarify, airsoft events only take place at registered and insured airsoft sites, the locals and gardai etc. know about the sites and they are all above board, and always positive and welcoming of any interested party.

The Iaa states in its constitution that airsoft skirmishes should only happen at these registered sites, and that common sense and discretion be used when transporting gear to and from the sites.

I got the impression that one of the posters thought this took place in a random field, like the night game mentioned.(Which was held at a proper venue)
    Don't worry, all games take place at these designated sites, and the IAA tries to get the message out to anyone with airsoft guns that they should only use them at sites and should always assume the public and eru will assume they are real until proven otherwise if they are spotted with their gear.

So basically, the IAA are good lads with their heads screwed on tight, and so are most of the airsofters.

Just came across this crossover thread while doing abit of lurking! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Wouldn't be familiar with the difference between airsoft guns and BB guns myself, what is it?
    Airsoft guns fire 6-8MM plastic BB's at or below 328fps (with 0.2g loads) BB guns fire metal projectiles at levels much higher than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

5.56mm Steyr Aug says to BB Steyr Aug! Hands up.

BB Aug says no! and points his BB Aug at 5.56mm Steyr Aug.

BB say's got you first sucker, 5.56mm reports with a Bang.
    First rule you are informed of when you buy an AEG: Treat it as real, because the Gardi will.

Qoute:
    So basically, the IAA are good lads with their heads screwed on tight, and so are most of the airsofters.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    I don't doubt that, I know now some of the lads and there is some in our club.

I would never try to knock any other persons sport and maybe I should be directing this question to CAL, as to why this one item was put into the article (Fallujah) This is not a good image to attach to any of the shooting sports.

The uniforms and tactics and this (Fallujah) has to give a bad image to any of the sports. ( It's not golf were at)

The uniforms and tactics and this (Fellujah) has to give a bad image to any of the sports. ( It's not golf were at)

I am a member of a range that prohibits the wearing of camoflague, DPM etc. I am a hunter and wear Camo (not Irsih DPM!) while hunting, with my rifle and/or shotgun. I abide by the range rule but don't agree with it. Just cause I wear DPM doesn't mean I'm going to restage Hungerford or Dunblane

I am a member of a range that prohibits the wearing of camoflague, DPM etc. I am a hunter and wear Camo (not Irsih DPM!) while hunting, with my rifle and/or shotgun. I abide by the range rule but don't agree with it. Just cause I wear DPM doesn't mean I'm going to restage Hungerford or Dunblane

I like you hunt and were camo, am a member of a club were it is not allowed.

But Camo or Airsoft are not the problem. Combine all together and ask Joe Public what they think?, maybe I should be directing this question to CAL, as to why this one item was put into the article (Fallujah) This is not a good image to attach to any of the shooting sports.

The uniforms and tactics and the word (Fallujah) has to give a bad image to any of the sports. ( It's not golf we are at) public perception is what effects us and can change the law..

I like you hunt and were camo, am a member of a club were it is not allowed.

But Camo or Airsoft are not the problem. Combine all together and ask Joe Public what they think?, maybe I should be directing this question to CAL, as to why this one item was put into the article (Fellujah) This is not a good image to attach to any of the shooting sports.

The uniforms and tactics and this (Fellujah) has to give a bad image to any of the sports. ( It's not golf we are at)

learn to spell fallujah and i might consider the validity of your argument

I hope I have corrected them all. By they way should this not be a capital (I)
    Quote ah of course i dont dispute that,

• Advertisement

Now that is petty.

I hope I have corrected them all. By they way should this not be a capital (I)
    Quote ah of course i dont dispute that,

I don't have time to hold down a shift key, I'm too busy telling people to

correct spelling mistakes :p

my mistakes are only cosmetic

Please when copying a quote try and get it all especially the important part.

Public perception is what effects us and can change the law.. .
    Please reply I must get my beauty sleep.

Please when copying a quote try and get it all especially the important part.

Public perception is what effects us and can change the law.. .

That wasn't relevent to what I was trying to say, so why would I quote it?

Plus the average man knows Fallujah isn't in Ireland so knows that isn't how

airsoft is played here!

That wasn't relevent to what I was trying to say, so why would I quote it?

Plus the average man knows Fallujah isn't in Ireland so knows that isn't how

airsoft is played here!

I didn't write the artical. Also can you explain the high lighted area.

Again must go to bed nice talking to you. Keep up the sport.

I didn't write the artical. Also can you explain the hilighted area.

If he looks at the picture of Fallujah, he'll think "Fallujah isn't in Ireland" and

will realise that isnt a picture of airsoft being played here! simple

Blay1 - you appear to be trolling, just a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Ok guys Im an Airsofter and I also run an Airsoft retail website, lots of bickering going on here I thought Id jump in and throw in my 2 cents.

RE: Airsofts being used in crimes.
    Given that if someone is assaulted in any way with an Airsoft and believes it to be real, in the eyes of the law it is real. Knowing this it would actually be more practical for a criminal to use a real-steel, as it is the same penalty regardless of replica or real, but at least with the real it can be used if necessary. Also in fairness if you wanted to rob a place a kitchen knife, screwdriver, baseball bat, golf club,(or in the case of the addict) a syringe would be easier to grab from around the house/crack den/etc. to use in the crime. Should we ban all of these things?

RE: Airsoft Sites being used to train by "undesirables"
    In my opinion this is a moot point simply for the reason its just paintball with more realistic looking "equipment". To attack Airsoft in this way would be the same as trying to attack "Woodsball". Plus as said you can learn the "tactics" used in Airsoft at Paintball sites, on the internet, in books, in shooting video games, etc.

RE: Airsoft not wanting to be associated with RS
    To be honest, and Iv nothing against RS shooters at all. Infact quite the opposite, Iv been toying with the idea of target shooting for a few years now, but the reason I (personally) dont want Airsoft related with RS for now is because Ireland tend to have this perception of anything gun-shaped as it being straight out bad. Therefore we use the fact our Airsoft are essentially harmless as our number one defense. If we were to align ourselves with RS this would blur the line a bit for too many "Joe Soaps", and lets face it,(as you guys know all too well) fact isnt always what these people use in their debates!

Hope Iv helped answer a few peoples concerns with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

This is dissapointing.

The last crossover thread between airsoft and shooting on the airsoft forum resulted in arguments on both sides, this time round I was very pleased to see reasonable comments on both sides.

Blay I dont know if you were on the airsoft forum last time when there was an argument between members of both forums, but I was and it was unnecessary.
    I think you are being a bit pedantic with the spelling, I'm sure you mean it in jest but its coming across as nit picking, even trolling as one poster previously stated.

There is no reason for shooters and airofters (who are sometimes the same people) to have an argument again, airsoft and shooting are different sports, should be kept seperate for the sake of ourselves and joe public, and neither is being called into question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I for one found it interesting I got the impression that he was actually commenting on the advantages of airsoft for pistol shooters in practice and in relation to accessories which can be used by target shooters etc. I found the whole area about the 1 Joule fascinating. I also like the comment regarding the availability of world war 2 models in airsoft as I am an avid military historian.

On the subject of airsoft bad press etc, my wife(who doesn't like guns, hunting or shooting but suffers me doing it ) is of the opinion that there are people who are not happy in life without on the campaign to Ban something.

Now if you want to dress up in full combat rig and shoot plastic bbs behind a sealed of site away with you and enjoy it looks like great fun.
    However if you are going to walk the streets dressed up like a fully kitted ranger(some eejit will) carrying an airsoft M4 with a sig strapped to his/her hip then you deserve to get hammered, I's all about a bit of common sense......Please no arguments about I can walk around the street dressed as what I please, You probabally can but suffer the consequenses

My sons have BB guns €5 in a market and they have a kids army gear and they dress up and shoot bbs at each other (no harm) there cousins aren't allowed anything like that. Their Mother argues that it desensitises the kids and makes it easier to kill:eek: :confused: Flawed argument? There is room for both sports

Advertisement