Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Volvo S40 - Anything to watch out for

Options
  • 31-01-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking at some Volvo s40s and was wondering are there any particuar things that should be checked in these?

I am looking at the 2005 model with a preference for a 2.0 litre diesel.

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Alarm problems and clutch problems - dealers are aware of these problems so you'll be well sorted.

All in all, the S40/V50 is a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I had the S40 T5 (from new) for a year and loved it. Problems I had were mostly electrical and the radio/cd thing that kept swallowing all 6 CD's I dumped into it. That was a pain. Electronically the damn thing would, periodically (I could probably count the number of times on 1 hand) simply not respond to anything, at all. I switched to something else (as I left the company) before I got it looked at.

I regret losing her :(

I also had the clutch issue but that was sorted day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I have one, only issue is the thermometer sometimes plays up when I put the key into the ignition and tells me the outside temperature is -18!!!!

Comes back to normal though. I'll get it fixed under warranty next time I take it in.

My only dislike is the size of the boot opening. The boot itself is a decent size.

Apart from that, no issues at all. Enjoy your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Flackfog

Go for as late an 05 as possible. I have a 04, one of the first of the current model. Its a good car with the 1.8 petrol (diesel defo the best option) but has had a number of electrical problems mostly small, heated seats, CD player blown fuses. Most worryingly both belts have just been replaced at 106,000kms when the interval is somthing like 180,000kms. This was because the belt drive was very noisey and they didnt know why so they just replaced. Also I now have a problem with the car cold starting either it will idle very slow or high or not start at all, see thread. As mine is an early, high mile, petrol the best idea is go for a late, low mile, diesel!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Thanks for the updates. Picked up the car last weekend. Early 05 2.0 Diesel and very happy with it. Just have to remember not to put petrol init.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement
Advertisement