Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't want or accept presents.

Options
  • 31-01-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Anybody feel similar to this?

I'm 40+ and materially reasonably well off.

I don't want or accept presents (Christmas, birthday etc) from my wife and family.

Reason why?

1. I have what I want materially.

2. I hate receiving presents that I do not want.

3. I find it all excessively consumeristic, materialistic and wasteful.

4. And finally, I have long since passed the time of receiving that unusual , life changing gift that I never would have thought of myself!

Any takers?

NB: I always ask my kids for a special present .... a HUG !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

test !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Meh, personally I look beyond the present itself and see the thought that goes into it.

It's a gesture.

Do you approach the giving of presents in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Chinafoot wrote: »

Do you approach the giving of presents in the same way?

mmmm.... a good question!

I have 3 children and think a lot about presents for them and I would buy anything for them if I believed it would improve their life. So , yes for the kids but in a sensible manner. Rarely for adults.

I do find it rather irritating over Christmas when my children receive perhaps 50 presents from Santa, aunties, cousins, neighbours, friends, company's etc.

They receive so much that it has become meaningless. My 9-year-old was at a function over Christmas and simply left her gift behind because it was not something she wanted...

Advertisement