Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best furniture shops

• 01-02-2008 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi, whereabouts in Dublin are the best furniture shops? All I see online is bargaintown and Jim Langan's, who are the others? I already know about the shops in Airside near Swords, but apart from that, have no clue where to start.

I'm in urgent need of mid-priced living room furniture...if anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

There are a lot of furniture shops on the Kylemore road just off the nass road. Some aren't great but there are good ones too, its definately worth a visit as there are mybe 6/7 shops together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm a Dub but I never buy furniture in Dublin - move outside the capital if you want to pay less. We were looking for a new bedroom suite, i.e. 6ft bed, matress, 2 lockers, 5 drawer chest and a free standing mirror. Frank McGowans in Airside in Swords wanted €3,200 for this package but we got the exact same stuff from Morans Homezone in Navan for €2,700 - €500 yo yos in my pocket. They deliver anywhere in Ireland for free and assemble the furniture for you as well.

There is a small family run furniture business in the north kildare/south county meath area between Dunboyne and Summerhill called Fordes Furniture. They sell literally everything in their place from beds to kitchen tables to couches to stoves etc etc. They are very reasonable on price and will also deliver free. We've gotten lots of stuff off them in the past and it has been top quality. We bought a stove last year (but never connected it or used it) and after 6 months, we decided that we wanted a different model so they replaced it, no questions asked. Great service from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

Check this out http://www.thebigfurnituresale.com/ and click on events. They are wholesalers and set up a marquee at certain intervals of the year and there is one this weekend. I furnished my house from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Thanks for your help guys, will check some of them out.

Just on a follow-up point, where is good for buying blinds as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shaneh

I know it's not in Dublin but if you're willing to travel, try Ikea in Belfast. Was up there last weekend and it's good quality furniture for the price. Plus, you'll get to take it home with you that day.

Few words of advise tho
    1) Look at their website prior and have a good idea of what you want before going up. The place is huge and not really setup for walking around & browsing
    2) Check the website to ensure Belfast has it in stock before travelling up
    3) If you're buying a good bit of stuff, I'd recommend going up on a week day. Easier to get around. Was there last Sunday and place was packed.
    4) They do blinds as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Have you tried Harvey Normans, I'm sure there is one on the Naas Road. and i'm sure they deliver.

I've never got furniture from them, but from dealing with there staff in the IT department, they have great customer service.

Now is the best time to be hitting them, spring sales so they be reducing there winter range i say.

If its urgent, have you tried buy and sell? Alot of smaller companies and shops advertise on there too, or who knows you might come accross a decent 2nd hand 3 - peice - suite which might just need a touch up or two.

When it comes to blinds, it depends on the size of windows and weather there a standard fit.

I used to work in a furniture show rooms, and sold blinds and curtains too. blinds can work out to be quite pricey....before you go asking staff about price of blinds. Measure the window TWICE, maybe even Three times. that way they'd be able to show u the range they have to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Totally agree with Prosperous Dave...move as far away from Dublin as you can for value. We've bought loads in Carlow, Portlaoise and Wexford and found hundreds of a difference in prices! M Murphys in Nbridge are good too...a lot cheaper than the chain store type furniture shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I browsed Harvey Norman's near Swords. They have nice stuff but for a small to mid-sized leather corner unit, they're about 1200+, same as most of the others around. Land of Leather, Frank McGowans, Diamond Living all have poor range or are way dearer.

Harvey did have some nice small tables and chair sets for less than 500 which I might go back and pick up though.

On blinds, I hear good things about Kavanagh's in Ballyfermot as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oliver moloney

why not try www.instore.ie they deliver nation wide ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimcarey23

heard instore opened a new store in stillorgan business park!
    address is 29 spruce ave stillorgan business park.
    seriously recomend it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

navan is the place to be spend a good day there, maybe two......and a car and a laser card, you'll save a ball and probably do it all in the one town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Janet Doe

Hi Cavanmaniac

I dont know if you are still looking

My husband and I bought some furniture in Montana furniture in Stillorgan Industrial Park. We loved their stuff and prices were good.

Their website is www.montana.ie

Near Sandyford Beacon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Montana is ridiculously expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Janet Doe

We looked everywhere and found that euro for euro the quality was excellent compared to the other shops.

Just our opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beatrice12

Kube is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joncollier

Hi if you want something a bit more interesting and original try this place,
    www.decor.ie they have some amazing pieces at big reductions , they're on Wexford st. I saw them at the RDS interiors show the other week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LukyLady

Attention!

All the Instore Furniture Stores are Strike Off Listed on the CRO.ie Website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fionnanblake

I recommend Des Kelly's, they are the cheapest by far. My wife looked at a sitting room unit in Reids before Christmas and the same unit was in Clery's, it was extremely expensive and they were not budging on the price, I rang Des Kelly's on the Longmile road on the off chance they might have it, they didn't have it on the floor or in stock but could order it for me for €250 less than what clerys and reids were charging and had it within 10 days, so happy days!

Advertisement