Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of primera timing chain replacement

Options
  • 01-02-2008 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi

I've been stalking about here all evening, trying to find a realistic costing for replacement of a timing chain on a 03 primera, sorry if this has been posted already, but can't seem to find what I'm after :(

my local nissan dealer quoting up to €2K for this work. I've no idea if it this is a reasonable price for this work, but i obviously have to make a decision if it's worth getting the job done and selling it or trading it in against something more reliable!!!!!!! I've seen varying amounts stated for different models/makes, and if I'm honest I'm still a little gobsmacked at the price i was quoted.... If anyone can help or give any insight to me it would be much appreciated!!

thanks in advance!!
    G

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

2 grand!!!
    mother of sweet baby jesus.,
    thats extorsion, but why you changing the chain so early? is it under the service interval guide? the chain should last most of the engines life so i wouldnt be worrying about it just going anytime soon, unless your having it changed for a reason, are there any noises from it or any signs of damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

vtec wrote: »
    2 grand!!!
    mother of sweet baby jesus.

+1

That is a bit harsh, they are a common fault on all the recent 1.5, 1.6 & 1.8 petrol nissan engines. I do have a mate who works for Nissan and he done one at the weekend (Nixer) for €500.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why are you thinking of replacing the timing chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Change the tensioner first?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

Yea €2,000 is a bit like :eek:

well basically, the engine management light came on and I brought it to the local nissan dealers. They told me that it has streched and it needs replacing. I didn't see that one coming as it appeared to be a purely electical problem! No noises or anything from under the bonnet.... I'm a bit sceptical needless to say..... as it is now driving perfectly :) And a spare €2K is a myth in January for me !!

All this follows on from having my local mechanic earth the rear right indicator panel/unit (every time I put on the right indicator it was losing acceleration, i.e. chugging). Now when I also put on the right indicator, it beeps in tandem with the indicator (the same beep you get when you forget to put on your seatbelt). So basically, on top of the timing chain, nissan reckon it needs complete new indicator panel (something to do with a loom?) and also the beeping is related to the smart entrance (remote locking or some such) :confused:

So the beeping I can live with, the indicator seems to have been repaired by my local guy (for €20 instead of the €200 nissan replacement quote), but having read all the things I read about timing belts/chains and the damage they can do when left unrepaired, I'm quite worried about ignoring it .... :(

Anyone got any ideas or input?? I'd be delighted to find someone to do a nixer, so healyc if its appropriate, pm me !

Thanks

G

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am hugely sceptical that a 4 and a bit year old chain requires changing. Has the oil/filter change regime been correct (chains don't like working through sludge it must be said)? Can you access the chain by opening the oil filler cap? On my old Merc you could give the chain "tweak" to check it tension if you had a narrow blade screwdriver.

Just found this
    http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6610.from1140125174/topicseen.html
    get the tensioner checked (not at a Nissan garage) and see if thats the problem first.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

mike65 wrote: »
    I am hugely sceptical that a 4 and a bit year old chain requires changing. Has the oil/filter change regime been correct (chains don't like working through sludge it must be said)? Can you access the chain by opening the oil filler cap? On my old Merc you could give the chain "tweak" to check it tension if you had a narrow blade screwdriver.

Just found this
    http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6610.from1140125174/topicseen.html
    get the tensioner checked (not at a Nissan garage) and see if thats the problem first.

Mike.

thanks a million for your help on this. I can change bulbs, check the oil etc, but anything after that is like looking into a bush I'm afraid :o I've a relaible mechanic turned car sales man in the family albeit down the country so I might ask him to check it for me

So much for me getting a nissan car for its relibility!! Should've kept my 92 D astra so!!

Thanks again!
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

its a common problem with nissans alright 2 k is very steep alright ive done a good a few of the past few years maybe 20/30 as far as i remember it worked out at around 600 all in incl vat and parts if thats any use to you.

Advertisement