Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gillette safety razors

• 01-02-2008 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get some Gillette safety razors in Dublin?

Something like below:

HD.jpg

Looking to try out a traditional wet shave. (Lather, brush, etc)

Seen some vintage (50's,60's) ones on ebay but they're kinda expensive. Plus, I'd rather have a new one if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Gillette don't make them any more. They sold off the pattern. Merkur now make most of the Gillette range. They're made in Solingen in Geramny and they're very well made. That sort is a heavy duty (HD). You can get them from sites like carterandbond and Executive Shaving. Should set you back about €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ah, thanks for that.
    Something like this one will suit me:

http://www.carterandbond.com/detail.phtml?pID=MK1000&filter=Shaving%3ARazors%2C+Safety

I'll purchase this weekend and report back with what it's like.
    Unless anyone else can suggest a better razor??

They're the best in terms of performance and value. There are dearer ones, but they tend to be overpriced fashion accessories. Once you have it you can expiriment with different brands of blade (Merkur, Feather, Gillette etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

I bought a cheap enough one in Boots, with a (fake) badger hair brush and the soap. If you want to try it out and not spend too much money, that'd be the way to go, I reckon.. This was about a year ago, so not sure if they still have them.

Can't comment on the quality w.r.t. the metal ones, but it's done me fine for over a year. You have to set aside some extra time for shaving though or you'll cut the face of yourself!

It's not for everyone though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Druid

The Futur is an adjustable, which sounds great in theory but in reality its a bit of a brute (get ready for some cuts!). I think the HD (Fixed) razors are much better. Will be ditiching my futur for a HD in the future

Also, make sure you get a good brush + soap! Even if you dont like the razor the brush makes a lot of difference plus you can still use it with mach3 etc...
    I went for a large silver-tip badger hair brush, excellent, use it all the time.

My 2c

• Advertisement

i don't find the Futur awkward, but I suppose everyone has a different technique. There's an adjustable Merkur which is based on the HD. It has an ivory coloured end on the handle for adjusting. Supposed to be very good.

Where did you buy yours lads?

il gatto, have you a link to that adjustable Merkur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Try knights in stephens green, the gold coloured merkur is the "Hefty" very good as it has enough weight to do the work without any real assistance.

The Proraso starter kit (pre shave cream, shaving cream, omega boar brush, tube of styptic gel) along with the Merkur should set you right.

Also the Waldo barber under the waldorf just before O'Connell bridge has or can get you anything you need. The benefit of the Waldo is they know what they are talking about and will even show you how to shave with a straight razor if you are feeling brave and it is not saturday morning.

And don't forget to get some blades!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Wouldn't you prefer this....? It comes with a knife :D

promotion.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JuiceC

I bought my Futur here - This is an irish site and with free shipping will save you nearly a tenner versus UK ones!

http://www.4men.ie/index.php?sid=91940c2d4f3f4041f15971f962be95c5&cl=details&anid=239454890a96f66e3.91789980&listtype=search&searchvendor=2394548900f78a5c6.49720823

The Futur definitely takes a bit of getting used to, but i've been using it now for over a year and i'll never go back to the more modern ones.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that JuiceC...all ordered from 4men.ie (Bookmarked!)

mr01ththxq6.jpg
    Merkur Futur - Double Edge Razor + 10 Blades

mr02ththda0.jpg
    Stainless Platinum Blades - 10 Pack

po02thkw7.jpg
    Proraso Italian Shaving Cream Tube 150ml

po05ththbv9.jpg
    Proraso Professional Shaving Brush

I'm actually really looking forward to trying this out.
    From reading various reviews of the Merkur online it sounds like it an experience alright. It should pay for itself after the within the year.

Advertisement