Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Smart] Improving Line Quality

Options
  • 01-02-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Quick question. Im on Smart Broadband here (previously the 4mb service). Really like it, and tied in with the phone calls its great value.

However, despite being in a pretty new estate in Kiltipper and having good copper around the estate (less than 4 years old), my line quality is, well, rubbish. Smart have (very kindly!) given us an upgrade (temporarily at least) in speed. The modem is reading 10mb download but very high attenuation )local 50.5 and Remote 29.5) and an SNR margin of only 9db/9db (local/remote).

Now, that seems to be down to distance from the exchange. Where is Tallaght exchange? Is there a way to improve line quality (eg ordering a new line etc) or am I stuck?

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

A new line would be a bit of a gamble. Has anyone else in your estate got a much faster smart connection? You could try searching for an adsl modem that is good for stronger signals, for example my linksys would connect faster than my netgear. Perhaps a better quality modem would sync and hold a faster connection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Those snr margins ain't too great alright, not sure what kind or profiles Smart use though so either it'll auto adjust or its something they could change.

However I doubt they'd upgrade it any further based on the snr margin, as for improving noise levels, confirmed connection in your home and the type of router can matter.

see - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Advertisement