Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed,Liquid or Elastic

Options
  • 01-02-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Playing around with dreamweaver and just wondering which of these is better in layout fixed,liquid or elastic or hybrid.Is there a site that i can easily see the differences or can people show me sites that use each type so I can understand the differences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Playing around with dreamweaver and just wondering which of these is better in layout fixed,liquid or elastic or hybrid.Is there a site that i can easily see the differences or can people show me sites that use each type so I can understand the differences.

Hey :)

Blatent self promotion .. the site in my sig is what is considered ... fluid layout expanding from small to large hopefully no matter what screen resolution you are on ... it will fill the majority of the screen

Non Blatent self promotion ...
    http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/page_layouts/
    http://www.glish.com/css/
    Look around and see which one you like best ..

Fluid is nice to use but can be complicated to pull off correctly

just so a search for "css layouts" on google and you'll no doubt see loads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Personally I prefer designing fixed widths for 1024x768 with fluid backgrounds.

DJB wrote: »
    Personally I prefer designing fixed widths for 1024x768 with fluid backgrounds.

long live 640x480 :D (joke)

desiging fixed width makes things a LOT easier when dealing with graphically intensive sites ... you've a lot more control on how things look.

These days you can practically assume 1024x768 .. yes there are still people using smaller .. and of course mobile devices ... but that is a different target market /style sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

When I am looking at these examples of sites you gave should i change my screen resolution to see how it looks or can i just make the window smaller or bigger by dragging.If I am getting my website designed by company should i tell them to use the one I prefer or will they know best.

you should just be able to change your browser size ... there are plugins available for firefox if thats what you are using that will do this for you.

To be honest depending on the company you are approaching I'd hear what they recommend first and why ... it'll really depend on your project as to which way to go

• Advertisement

Cheers Forbairt.Would ask yourself for a quote but i think the other guys want a web designer closer to where we are living(killarney).

No problem ... :) (pretty busy at the moment)

(on a side note I deal with clients in Austria / Belfast / Cavan / Cork / Dublin / Limerick / Galway / Mayo / Paris / UK / Wicklow ... ok I think this has just turned into my feel good post of the day .. I hadn't actually thought about it before too much)

One last question Forbairt.Would you recommend any Web designers in the kerry,cork,limerick area.

At the moment no one springs to mind (EEK ... I know I'm probably forgetting people at the moment but I think most I know are galway / dublin / uk based) If I think of anyone I'll pass on the details :)

*to cork / kerry / limerick designers ... applications on the back of a 20 .. to James .... :D

Location is fairly irrelevant when it comes to web design. Like Forb I've done work for clients in different parts of the world as well as Ireland and have never met them. With web design, you can do most everything with conference calls, email, and uploading. Not pimping for business btw but I can't see why you couldn't get someone like Forbairt who's further a field to do work for you.

Location isn't a boundary to market when it comes to web design!

Rgds, Dave

• Advertisement

will send both of ye on briefs of the website this evening and ye can give me quotes if ye want.I dont mind about distance it is the other guys involved want to set down with web designer but I might be able to convince them otherwise.

Wasn't expecting that but looking forward to seeing it! Cheers!

DJB wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting that but looking forward to seeing it! Cheers!

Same :)

Advertisement