Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam for all

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

the_new_mr wrote: »
    Woah!! Don't know how I missed this thread before!

Anyway, for my 2 cents, I think the world would be a better place if true Islam was practiced worldwide.

There you go, my hypothetical answer to your hypothetical question.

I don't think it's ever going to happen though. And, of course, everyone is free to believe what they want to believe. Thought I'd better throw that in there before I get belted with the auld "You want to force everyone to be Islamics!" nonsense :)

I'm quite shocked and amazed that someone would be so gullible to believe that. You need to watch this.

Ah, at least someone understood my post :D

So, whats your view on why some Muslims say the opposite ? This point really confuses me. It makes me think they don't really view their belief as being true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

I don't think it's that actually. The thing you find with a vast majority of Muslims is that they are completely sure about their beliefs.

I think it's probably more to do with what you said your Muslim friends said. That they think it would make the world too restrictive.

I don't think it's that Muslims want to have nudity in their films. I think it's that people like your friends are worried that if everyone was a Muslim, we'd have a taliban style world and that's why I was careful to use the phrase "true Islam" in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

I don't think it's that actually. The thing you find with a vast majority of Muslims is that they are completely sure about their beliefs.

I think it's probably more to do with what you said your Muslim friends said. That they think it would make the world too restrictive.

I don't think it's that Muslims want to have nudity in their films. I think it's that people like your friends are worried that if everyone was a Muslim, we'd have a taliban style world and that's why I was careful to use the phrase "true Islam" in my previous post.

Yeah, but does that not show that even Muslims are afraid of the mindset that Islam produces. Because even when Ive asked the question and include the phrase "true Islam", to eliminate this taliban type world, they still say no :confused:

I don't think it shows that.

I guess for the answer to your question, you'd have to ask your Muslim friends :) I can't answer for them. I can only give you my answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Now MR, you wouldn't find yourself in such a predicament of being unable to answer a simple question of what someone you never met is thinking if you didn't insist on detaching yourself from the hive mind. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:)

I was sent another invitation to the hive mind in the mail there the other day even though I had recently gone to the trouble of phoning the head queen bee office and requesting that I be moved from their mailing list. Some people never listen :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Which Islam?
    • Sunni (Ash'ari or Maturidiyyah or Athariyyah)?
    • Shi'a (Twelvers or Ismailis or Zaidi)?
    • Sufism?
    • Ahmadiyya (Qadiani or Lahore)?
    • Or other sects or traditions not mentioned?

Islam is not as divided as you think.

I prefer to just call myself Muslim but if you had to classify me, I'd be Sunni and I've never even heard of Ash'ari or Maturidiyyah or Athariyyah. That's how insignificant the differences must be if I've spent my whole life without ever hearing about them. Either that or they must be a very minority group.

You can't consider Sufism to be a separate sect of Islam. It's more a way of thinking really.

And as for Ahmadiyya, anyone who examines the principles that their "sect" is based upon will find that is has no base. It's a very minority sect.

Besides, unlike the differences between sects of other religions, the differences between the different sects of Islam have usually very little to do with any differences in the core belief system. That is that "There is no god but God and Mohamed is His messenger".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

Islam is not as divided as you think.
    Why didn't someone explain that to the Shia and Sunnis who've been killing each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

merrionsq wrote: »
    Why didn't someone explain that to the Shia and Sunnis who've been killing each other?

Look at what Saddam regime did to the Shia, a lot of the violence has a lot to do with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement