Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Appeals?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

I'm guessing this isn't possible and even if it is its so awkward you're probably better off just paying for a retest to avoid the hassle :rolleyes:

Car was put through the NCT this week and I was told there was a slight 'nick' in one of the CV joint boot's having checked the one in question its fine ! Everything else passed with room to spare, the lad who passed it even said the car was in perfect mechanical condition but it was "unfortunate" that he found this.

Well I can't see anything wrong with it and neither can my mechanic :mad:

Also, since when does a CV Boot 'nickl' make the car unroadworthy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you check the other 3? NCT person may have marked it wrong on the sheet.

A nick means that the rubber has started to fail. If your CV boot fails your drive shaft becomes exposed to all the cr@p from the road and can seize/fail. No drive would make the car unroadworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Del2005 wrote: »
    Did you check the other 3? NCT person may have marked it wrong on the sheet.

Checked all 4 and all fine, thats the annoying part.

Looks like I'll just have to pay the 27e and go again, what a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not too bad then. I've heard of people being told their CV boot was damaged and on checking the damage was a screwdriver stuck through it:eek:

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not too bad then. I've heard of people being told their CV boot was damaged and on checking the damage was a screwdriver stuck through it:eek:

FFS !

Obviously that didnt happen at the NCT centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

nct is carried out by idiots who probably dont have a mechanical qualification.
    the bull**** i was told by one was unreal, he was failing me on stuff that the car was designed with:rolleyes:
    afaik they only check for play in the bearing,(which they missed on mine) i dont think torn cv boot is in the test??
    but if it is you can get covers, as opposed to splitting ball joints and taking the hub off.
    but not reccomended if the joint is fecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

I'd go back to that NCT test centre and ask to see the tester that tested your car.Explain that your mechanic cannot see any fault with the CV boot, get your mechanic to put it in writing if you want, with their garage stamp on it.Tell the tester that you will be appealing it if he cannot issue you with an NCT cert.I know it's only 27 euro for a retest, but you should not have to pay it.Your car is obviously roadworthy if the failed item looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

alo1587 wrote: »
    I'd go back to that NCT test centre and ask to see the tester that tested your car.Explain that your mechanic cannot see any fault with the CV boot, get your mechanic to put it in writing if you want, with their garage stamp on it.Tell the tester that you will be appealing it if he cannot issue you with an NCT cert.I know it's only 27 euro for a retest, but you should not have to pay it.Your car is obviously roadworthy if the failed item looks fine.

.......and then wait for the list of faults that arise as a result of the retest.

The words "fine tooth comb" spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

.......and then wait for the list of faults that arise as a result of the retest.

The words "fine tooth comb" spring to mind.

Rebel, If its tested within 28 days of the test, all they can check for is the item it failed for (CV Boot).

alo1587 wrote: »
    Rebel, If its tested within 28 days of the test, all they can check for is the item it failed for (CV Boot).

EXACTLY.

The joints are fine...the boot is fine....load of bollox tbh.

Advertisement