Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions-February 2008

Options

Comments

Thats what I was thinking about this winter,it's had more frosts than usual.
    Very few of them unfortunately coinciding with actual winter weather,just high pressure.

there must be a tad more moisture in the flow as despite not being as cold as other nights,the frost is more widespread here this morning.
    A black car for example is completely iced over and white.

Part of that probably is to do with the fact that the temp stayed consistently below freezing overnight.
    Almost +1c now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Temp hovered around zero all night, fog kept it up. Only fell below freezing for 30 mins since midnight, lowest -0.5c. Temp now +0.8c with fog, and oddly, a rather stiff breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently -4.7c after an overnight low of -6.0c which I feel is the lowest of this winter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Nowhere near as cold last night as the previous night - only a very light frost. Min was +0.8 (as compared to -4.0 previous night!).

Also spotted very odd looking yellowish-greyish dawn soon after 7am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Above freezing here all night with cloud and onshore wind persisting. Also saw that yellow dawn this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

min of -08 before breeze picked up again , heavy hoar frost thawed rapidly,cur 7.1c, and as above sky glowing orange/yellow at dawn, red sky in the morn..................

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cold night last night , got down to -4.8°C here, took quite some time clearing the ice of my car this moring.

Beautiful fog patches driving into work, very wintery looking and beautiful. Could even see frost on the backs of sheep in the fields.
    The road just up from me was -6°C in the car. I'd say -7 or 8°C was probably recorded in places near here.

Looks like a repeat performance tonight. Water I poured over my car this morning is still on the ground frozen!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

4.1c now after peak of 7.1c. Warmer than yesterday. Clear and hazy again, Not expecting frost toinght as fog will probably form again.

Had that weird yellow/gold glow here this morning as well around 7.15am, it was actually pretty scary. Even the fog was a deep yellow/brown. I think there maybe some dust particles from Sahara mixed or trapped in with the continental haze during this inversion spell.

Edit: Have that glow back again now that sun has gone down, everything is red/gold. Very surreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly like yesterday

Mike.

Stunning orange sunset out there right now, looks almost tropical (except its 0.4°C out!)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote: »
    Cold night last night , got down to -4.8°C here, took quite some time clearing the ice of my car this moring.

Beautiful fog patches driving into work, very wintery looking and beautiful. Could even see frost on the backs of sheep in the fields.
    The road just up from me was -6°C in the car. I'd say -7 or 8°C was probably recorded in places near here.

Looks like a repeat performance tonight. Water I poured over my car this morning is still on the ground frozen!

Wasn't as cold here for some reason. Low of -2.5c overnight. Ice in the bucket in the chicken pen was rock hard though - had to use a hammer to break it.

Currently clear and +1.9c. Lovely red glow to my west....

A

Air frost now, wouldn't be surprised to see -5°C or lower tonight if the cloud and fog stays away.

arctictree wrote: »
    Currently clear and +1.9c. Lovely red glow to my west....

A
    The sunset through the high cloud to the west made for a beautifull wierd looking dusk I thought.
    It was like a sepia tone.

Theres a good ground frost here now despite the air temp being 2.5c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Amazing dusk and the huge red ball sunset.

Air -1.6C, grass below -9C.

Going for -4.5C and -12C grass.

If the latter comes off, it would be station record.

Were all seeing that weird yet stunning twilight of late. I thought it be Dublin city light polution in the distance these past few nights.

Currently the temp on the dip now at 2.8c.
    @ BB, i have noticed a ground frost here too.I checked my grass thermo and it is at -3C which explains why. Very unusual for this extreme between air and ground around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

-1.5c here now. Gonna be another cold one....

-2.4C,
    grass -9.5C

A positively balmy 2.1c down this end.

I'm thinking of going for a skinny dip at courtown

No fog yet, temp down to -0.1c but has stagnated. Dewpoint rising so fog soon to stop temp falling further I reckon.

Very clear.
    -3.1C
    grass below -10C

• Advertisement

1.1C clear and calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Down to -2.9C here, if it still below freezing at midnight that will make the 10th day (00:00 to 00:00) in a row with subzero temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Down to 0.2C here. If it's this cold here already the usual cold spots are going to go way below. Could -10C be possible in the frost hollows tonight?

Hard to say.
    A Breeze is forecast to pick up in the East tonight and that could halt the drop especially with mothman should it happen.If it's as strong as forecast,it would put us all safely above zero in this neck of the woods.

0.3c here by the way.

No wind here yet, but drop has certainly leveled off, currently -2.7°C and been around that for the last hour or so, doesn't look like its going to be as cold as last night as the temperature really dropped then when the skies cleared then but have been clear all night so far.

That said I'd be surprised if it didnt drop another 1.5°C or so, usually is slow and steady fall here rather than the dramatic rises and falls Mothman sees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Went sub-zero here around 10 minutes ago currently -0.1C. As with longfield though it seems that it has nearly leveled off here. Hope that breeze doesn't come up.

While mine still drops. Now 0C. Temp does go up with the slightest breeze.

The baltinglass nra station in sw wicklow is already down to -5.1 at 11pm:eek:
    That is in a mega frost hollow though,inland enough by 20 miles and surrounded by high ground.
    The arklow bypass nra station,also in a mini frost dip is reporting -1.5c as is roughly the bray by pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Temp still dropping here too, more slowly than before though.

Down by 0.6 degrees in the last hour to -4.1C now, coldest I can remember recording before midnight.

• Advertisement

-0.5C and continue to drop at about 1C p/hr. Heading for my coldest night of the year at this rate as long as the breeze holds off.

Advertisement