Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions-February 2008

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

:rolleyes: moon was so bright, I thought it was dawn :o
    Going for -4.5C and -12C grass.
    If the latter comes off, it would be station record.
    Fairly spot on so far :)

Min -4.3
    grass min -11.6C, though my station record is -11.9C, so tonight currently in 2nd place. The air min currently in 6th place, and lowest temp since station record on 7th Feb last year

Currently -3.1C and grass -10C

I don't think there'll be significant wind before dawn, though its a slight breeze that has raised the temp up from the min 2 hours ago, but I wouldn't be surprised to record lower yet tonight.

Lowest of the NRA stations at 2am is Baltinglass at -6.2C, but Monaghan is not far behind at -5.9C

Dublin AP and Casement are at -5C at 2am.
    Mullingar and Kilkenny -3C

The -5C at Dublin AP is interesting, because the NRA station there is above zero at 2am :)

And for BBs reading in morning Arklow BP is -3.2C, Bray BP -2.2C

4am
    Lowest mins are about -5C
    Baltinglass -5.0C
    Portloaise BP -5.4C

Arklow BP -2.7C
    Bray BP -3.3C
    Dublin Airport NRA -1.7C

Casement -5C
    Mullingar -5C
    Dublin AP & Kilkenny -4c

Currently with me -3.1C, but has been upto -2.4C since last report.
    Roundwood -3.0C (min -3.6C)
    Annmaoe -3.2C (Min -3.5C)
    Bray (Trogdor) -1.7C

Now making a good effort to get lower
    -4.1C

5am reports

Dublin AP -5C
    Casment, Kilkenny, Mullingar -4C

NRA
    Baltinglass +2.2C:) What happened there:eek:
    A light SE breeze

Nowhere below -5C
    NRA Dublin AP is catching up with met station, now -3c as is N11 from Bray to Arklow

oh -4.2C now, almost the low of the night.

-4.7C, getting tasty :)

Moving up the all time list, providing the screen agrees. Up to 4th

• Advertisement

Dublin AP -6.6C at 6am

-4.8C with me

and the sunrise glow is starting

Everything surreal, the moon is an orange glow, and to the east, more than an hour before sunsrise is a strong orangy/yellow glow.

Now -4.9C here.
    I'd be surprised if I don't have a new grass min record.

NRA has a few midland stations below -5C

Baltinglass up to +3.4C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Mothman wrote: »
    Everything surreal, the moon is an orange glow, and to the east, more than an hour before sunsrise is a strong orangy/yellow glow.

Still dark here and very foggy, but looking forward to another pre sunrise weird glow. (fog already looking a dark orange to the east)

Lowest temp since midnight an unspectacular -1.1c, now -0.8c and steady. Everything white with freezing fog though.

Strange weather.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-1.8c here at the moment with a min. overnight of -2.6c around 4am.

Amazing glow/colours in the sky to the east again!

Very strong light now, with dark red nearer horizon.
    Still 45 minutes to sunsrise

And -5.0C here. 3rd place

• Advertisement

-5.2C

only -5.5C to beat

Glow is kicking in now. Visability is very low but fog in now a greeny orange. The outline of trees in the fields around in near distant look very prehistoric. Looks like the birth of the world or something. Looks like a volcanic aftermath.

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Glow is kicking in now. Visability is very low but fog in now a greeny orange. The outline of trees in the fields around in near distant look very prehistoric. Looks like the birth of the world or something. Looks like a volcanic aftermath.

Good choice of words. Very hard to describe the mood.

BTW -5.3C

Good God this is amazing, the glow is turning greener. Even the fog is green with the sky directly above now a pale... can't discribe the colour.. there is something very forlorned about the whole hue, the fog just adds a grim tone to it.. It's like a dream. Fog getting thicker while I write, just like green smoke pouring over the house. Temp is falling again at -1.1c with pressure exactly 1024.0 mb. falling slowly.

-5.6C, new all time AWS low.

Will have to check screen later.

Red disc of the sun is rising.

Temp reached lowest point here as well, now -1.6c. Nowhere near as spectaclar as Mothmans but I'm happy. Still foggy but thinning a bit.

Edit: Casement -7c at 8.00am.

-5.6C, new all time AWS low.

Will have to check screen later.
    Screen agrees exactly, so -5.6C is new station record (since Nov 1999)
    Grass min -11.6C, so not new record, slots into 2nd place.

Also considering that it is still -4.0C at 8:30, it'll certainly be still sub zero at the 9am reading, meaning that tomorrow will have an air frost (regardless of what happens this evening) and that'll make 11 air frosts this month, the most on record for any month and winter having 25 air frost ties it with 00-01 winter, and with 10 days to go, another air frost could sneak in before March

Also considering that it is still -4.0C at 8:30, it'll certainly be still sub zero at the 9am reading, meaning that tomorrow will have an air frost (regardless of what happens this evening) and that'll make 11 air frosts this month, the most on record for any month and winter having 25 air frost ties it with 00-01 winter, and with 10 days to go, another air frost could sneak in before March
    It just shows what our latitude is capable of,were it not for the surrounding mild atlantic spoiling it.
    Thats surface cold too that would aid snow if we didn't have a mild atlantic border and resultant non snow friendly upper air temps and uber mobile non snow friendly atlantic mixing muck.
    You've got a pm by the way.

Lowest my aws got to was -1.4c
    It's now rising fast and is nearly 2c.
    Beautifull frost again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Min of -3.3 about 7am; could possibly have been lower earlier as wireless had stopped functioning until I moved it at 7am. No fog, nice bright morning with orange sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Min of -3.4C and also with dense freezing fog. This equals my lowest temp of the decade. Wind went into the west around 4am and temp dipped further.

What was surprising was the freezing fog this morning,everything super white.I have not seen conditions like this here in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dull.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wow the inversion must be clinging on to like 2 feet above the ground, as the ground is still totally frozen here yet temperature up to 3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Low of -3.6c here overnight. Looks like the two HP spells we have had this winter have really increased the number of sub zero nights...

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cloud breaking to reveal fine afternoon.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Was -5.5c this morning but with fog and everything was covered in what looked like rime (every single twig on the tress and cobwebs too).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

0.9c here ATM. Not as clear as yesterday evening. Seems to be a lot of cloud/mist around...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

A bit more wind around this evening and temp not falling as much as this time yesterday.
    5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Low last night of -5.5C, second coldest night this year.

Colder here than this time yesterday, down to 0.6C now with a 4C fall in the last hour compared to a 2C fall yesterday to 3C.

Down to zero under clear sky.

Max 9.0C, very little sunshine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Smoky, with about 4 octas coverage - not sure if its smoke or cloud to be honest.
    Temp falling slowly, currently 0.2°C
    Looks like tonight will be the last frosty one of this snap.
    With air quality like this I can't wait for the rain to move in and clean up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement