Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Fuel Stove Recommendations Please?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All,
    can anbody recommend a very good solid fuel stove that heats between say 15-20 rads. I've heard about the Hercules 30B, its meant to be fantasitc. Can anybody comment on it or recommend an alternative.
    Many Thanks
    Lynch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Better suited to DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

HI there,

I've had this stove for the last 3 years.... had it going last nite actually. I can only say good things about this stove. However 20 rads maybe pushing it... however if you do like me light the stove around 5:30 send the heating to living zones up to 8pm from then onwards change the heating to only go to bedrooms it works great. In fact it gets the rads hotter than my oil burner can.

I have a large room where the stove is 21ft x 18ft by 9pm i can have the room temp up to 25-26 degrees around 11pm my bedroom will be in around 22-23 degrees.

Oh and yeah i always have loads of hot water for shower. one other good thing about this stove is the size of the fire box. I only have to load it twice a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lynch32

Thanks Galway for the info, sounds great!. It's always good to hear from somebody who has one.

Do you have to empty the ashes every day (I assume so).

Would any plumber be able to install it?

Can you recess it into a fireplace or does it need to stick out a little

Cheers
    Lynch

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

No problem was in the same boat as you a few years back. This was the biggest stove i could get. Mine is setup with this product: http://www.systemlink.ie/systemlink-product-ireland.asp.

This product allows more than one boiler source to be linked up safely together. Infact I can have both the oil boiler and the stove going at the same time.

Make sure you are able to zone the heating from the stove... ie. you can decided to heat any one zone or all zones. I got my plumber back after the install to allow this.

I empty the ashes every 4-5 days when burning alot of fuel, once a week when its not so cold out. It can hold alot of ashes so i only empty it when i need to.

You can recess it into brick thats the way i have mine. It only allows the flue to be attached from the top so it will have to sit under the flue or slightly out from it by using a two 45 degree bends

Hey Galway,
    thanks for the great advice. Sounds like the stove it need. my house is going to be 4200 sq ft, so alhtough it won't heat the entire house it will go along way. Infact with practical use of zoning as you suggested, it should work nicely.
    I love the idea (not that i am lazy or anything;)) of not having to empty it every morning. My parents have a stanley range and they have to religiously empty the ashes every morning. So I am liking that idea.

Many thanks again Galway
    Lynch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 hsebldMO

Hi Guys,

How do you think these stoves fit in with a modern design of a kitchen -ie shaker style units with stainless steel appliances, marble worktops, travertine style tiled floors, modern recessed & under cabinet lighting etc.

Does the traditional design of the matt black stove with flue clash with the modern clean sharp finishes or does it compliment it?

I'm torn between the practicality of "free" heating & hot water from a (traditional) multifuel stove with back boiler or the modern design of a built in gas fire; in people's opinion which fits this style of kitchen better?

Thanks,
    Ant

hsebldMO wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

How do you think these stoves fit in with a modern design of a kitchen -ie shaker style units with stainless steel appliances, marble worktops, travertine style tiled floors, modern recessed & under cabinet lighting etc.

Does the traditional design of the matt black stove with flue clash with the modern clean sharp finishes or does it compliment it?

I'm torn between the practicality of "free" heating & hot water from a (traditional) multifuel stove with back boiler or the modern design of a built in gas fire; in people's opinion which fits this style of kitchen better?

Thanks,
    Ant

Hi Ant,
    I am probably not a very good person to give advice on interior design, however I’ll give my opinion for what its worth.

I personally feel that you might be able to achieve a “where old meets new” theme in your kitchen. However if the entire kitchen is ultra ultra modern, then it mightn’t work that well. I feel introducing the stove might could make the kitchen more homely. I sometimes feel real modern kitchen’s can sometimes lack homeliness (although I am no expert).

Also why not put the stove in your living room, it’s not like you can cook on it. I’d imagine it will be a lot easier to integrate into a living room than an ultra modern kitchen.
    Sorry if this is no helpconfused.gif

Cheers
    Lynch32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MischievousFi

Lynch32 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    can anbody recommend a very good solid fuel stove that heats between say 15-20 rads. I've heard about the Hercules 30B, its meant to be fantasitc. Can anybody comment on it or recommend an alternative.
    Many Thanks
    Lynch

Hiya lynch, I just wanted to tell you about the hergom Stove, which is solid fuel and depending on which one you buy can heat up loads of radiators. I bought the Hergom L08 and this does up to 17 radiators and its a great stove too,looks stunning once fitted! I bought mine off ebay for alot cheaper too just over 3 and half grand, may sound alot but they are normaly quit abit more,and to be honest it was worth it. I hope i have helped.
    Fiona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MischievousFi

Lynch32 wrote: »
    Hi Ant,
    I am probably not a very good person to give advice on interior design, however I’ll give my opinion for what its worth.

I personally feel that you might be able to achieve a “where old meets new” theme in your kitchen. However if the entire kitchen is ultra ultra modern, then it mightn’t work that well. I feel introducing the stove might could make the kitchen more homely. I sometimes feel real modern kitchen’s can sometimes lack homeliness (although I am no expert).

Also why not put the stove in your living room, it’s not like you can cook on it. I’d imagine it will be a lot easier to integrate into a living room than an ultra modern kitchen.
    Sorry if this is no helpconfused.gif

Cheers
    Lynch32

Hiya lynch again, well i've got a modern kitchen and it looks really nice if i'm honest...as long as you dont go OTT. Ive got a pine kitchen with silver fridge and that and it does go well with my hergom which is a black glossy look (not black matt) and brass nobs.

Advertisement