Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySpace Deletes Largest Atheist Group in the World

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If you look up the definition for assert you will see that I didn't claim anything as positively true or press it with force. Surely words like 'possibly' would have made this clear!

If a pro Fianna Fail paper was to publish an article on Bertie I think it only fair to suggest and be mindful that there may be an alternative viewpoint. Do you honestly believe it is wrong to mention that there may be bias involved in any publication from a group with vested interests? The article on Bertie may turn out to be wholly accurate, and so might this story about myspace, but whatever the truth, I believe that I am being slated for reasons other than my suggestion.

I would argue that it is good practice for an interested party to seek out the other side of the story, or better still, an objective source. In truth, I've nott found this source that you desire, Wick. Then again I've not been looking too deeply. Indeed, I've only encountered atheist publications which themselves often quote the secularstudents article.

Admittedly, I'm neither that interested in the story, nor did I think that I'd have to defend what I believe is a reasonable position to hold, i.e. scepticism towards affiliations/ pressure groups that may not be objective. Certainly this position didn't raise such a clamour when it was mentioned by atheists over in the Christianity forum. To refresh your memory, this was in relation to the suggestion by a member of boards (I forget who) that there may be potential for bias in Christian media that reported on the murder of Christians. If you think that there may be more or less to the story than is being reported it would seem like a reasonable enough suggestion, I think. If that suggestion is proven to be false one would imagine that it would be dropped. If this is the case with the myspace/ atheist group saga then I will whole heartily withdraw my suggestion. That won't prevent me from maintaining a healthy touch of scepticism, though.

Anyway, after the last few days I think it best that I step back form the A&A forum for a bit lest I develop a bit of a persecution complex.

Advertisement