Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible housemate

Options
  • 01-02-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hey really appreciate any views on this.

Living in Galway but moving home now for a while (have to for personal reasons) and I'm sharing a flat with one other girl. We get on well or so I thought - we've lived together for nearly 3 years. The place isn't owner occupied but she was in the flat first and then I moved in.

I gave my notice anyway after Christmas and have just moved out. I left money for bills etc and paid up the rent and all that. So I'm back home now which is hard enough but my flatmate rang me and said that there were some bills left to pay. I asked what they were as I had settled everything before I left but apparently the tv license bill came in early Jan and she just ended up paying it but she wants me to pay for half of it. But tv licenses last for a year so I don't think I should pay for it. I know it's only 80 quid but still I suppose it's the principle.

The problem really though is she really believes that I owe her the money because the bill came when I still lived there. She just didn't tell me until now because I had been home a lot trying to sort things before I moved back.

What does everyone think? I feel that I'm right but she's so insistent that sometimes you need to hear another person's view.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

If the TV license was paid in arrears she'd have a point, but it isn't. That bill is for the year 2008, for which you're not there. Offer her 1 months worth (7 quid). If she has a problem with that, ask her if she'd like you to pay the years' sky subscription too. She's chancing her arm, or else a bit simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

That's what I thought but her point is now she'll have to shoulder the bill alone because she doesn't want to ask the next person for it, so therefore I should pay for it because I was there when the bill was sent.

It's just that she's SO convinced you start nearly doubting yourself.

It should be paid by the people who will be using the tv at that property for the year 08. I'm sure she wouldn't expect you to be subsidising the next occupant. If someone was to move in there next week and she said to them that she'd just paid the TV license, the new occupant shouldn't have any problem giving her half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Television in my house belongs to me so I pay the licence on it it...it's the one bill I haven't inflicted on my flatmates.

I don't think she can justifiably ask you to pay for a licence given that it's not in arrears and you are not there going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I think she's just annoyed that she is down 160 and that I won't give her half.

She's quite shy and she's said she doesn't want to ask the next person for it (which was my point) because she doesn't want to be throwing bills at them the minute they move in.

She feels out of pocket and she told me that she's 'hurt' that I'm taking her for a fool. It's actually very upsetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

In all fairness, her expecting you to pay for something that you don't owe means she is taking you for the fool, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Kimia wrote: »
    She feels out of pocket and she told me that she's 'hurt' that I'm taking her for a fool. It's actually very upsetting.

She's trying to take you for a fool and you would be amazed by how many people try it. I have some issues related to flatmates myself and have had a couple of long lectures on not being taken for a fool.

The one thing I will say is upsetting and all as it is, you're out of there...and now you know you won't be going back. She is not being fair with you and it is only in her eyes that she is being fair. If she didn't want to pay the licence, she shouldn't have the television.

She's obviously gonna have to get over her shyness and inability to ask new people to pay their way. That's her issue, not yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Yes, think of it as a challenge for her. The bill is her responsibility, and it's up to her to get the money from the next flatmate. You've got your own problems, don't fall for this guilt trip.

Advertisement