Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Professional on Intel Viiv Processor

• 01-02-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

OK, I just want to see if I can double check something based on other people's experiences here. I got a new computer in the college where I work, with Vista Home Premium installed on it. However, I'm already getting fed up of Vista, and I would like to get rid of it. I can legitimately reinstall it with XP Pro, due to the license in place for the campus, and with a view to this, I asked that the Q6600 processor not be a Viiv one. However, some genius in the supplier lashed one in anyway.

Now my question is whether anyone here has tried running XP Pro on a Viiv processor? I've seen a number of pages online saying that only XP MCE, and certain flavours of Vista will support Viiv chips, and others suggesting that XP Pro may work, and I'd like to get some more concrete answers before I go reinstalling if possible.

Has anyone got any experience of this Processor/OS combination?

Of course, if I can't get any answers, I have a 2nd hard drive in the machine that I may try installing XP to with the main disk plugged out, and that way, if it all fouls up, I can eaily revert

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cython wrote: »
    OK, I just want to see if I can double check something based on other people's experiences here. I got a new computer in the college where I work, with Vista Home Premium installed on it. However, I'm already getting fed up of Vista, and I would like to get rid of it. I can legitimately reinstall it with XP Pro, due to the license in place for the campus, and with a view to this, I asked that the Q6600 processor not be a Viiv one. However, some genius in the supplier lashed one in anyway.

Now my question is whether anyone here has tried running XP Pro on a Viiv processor? I've seen a number of pages online saying that only XP MCE, and certain flavours of Vista will support Viiv chips, and others suggesting that XP Pro may work, and I'd like to get some more concrete answers before I go reinstalling if possible.

Has anyone got any experience of this Processor/OS combination?

Of course, if I can't get any answers, I have a 2nd hard drive in the machine that I may try installing XP to with the main disk plugged out, and that way, if it all fouls up, I can eaily revert

Viiv is a just a marketing name to ensure a certain set of capabilites, it's otherwise irrelevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viiv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

As spear more or less posted , there is no such thing as a Viiv processor or a Viiv chip , Viiv is a marketing term for a platform , same as centrino is a marketing platform for a laptop incorporating wireless.

Whats more important is that you can get all your device drivers for XP , thats what you need to check , ones that might be hard to get are soundcard and chipset drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Drivers shouldn't be a problem, as this machine can be be purchased with XP on it, so the drivers are available. It was €80 cheaper to purchase with Vista and do it this way though. I just wanted to make sure, as Intel's own page states that you need a Media Centre OS for Viiv (though gathering that's to meet the platform specs), and one or 2 other sites stated that XP was not compatible with the Viiv range

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

To use the Viiv features you need WMC, or Vista with MC, it will function as normal on XP Pro, Viiv is just a digital media streaming tech or something afaik, not an actual chip brand as pointed out, a special feature you mite call it

Nick

Advertisement