Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Post "Stickie" within a thread?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am wondering if that is possible within the site? For example some of the threads are huge and it would be a handy addition if the first post in the thread could be stickied, within the thread, no matter what page of the thread you were in? Does that make sense?

Example. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304061

If the first post in that thread contained the "need to know" info it would be trés helpfull? List og models that cannot be unlocked. List of those that can be requested. Helpful links. List of names of people for what ever reason. Attendees?
    Same with the Dell ones on the bargain boards? You could even have it used as a stickied rule(s) within the thread.

Is it possible of has it been discussed? vBulletin?

opps! Sorry can this be moved to feed back? I was reading those Dell threads when it occured to me...Sorry!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Sorry dan... Is this your 1st post? you've been a memeber since Jan 2006 ?? whats up with that lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I don't think it's possible.

edit: Good idea; would be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its actually a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargains, not sure what you mean in your post though. I'm only up out of bed. :/

edit: Ah ok now I see, I think it is possible and was mentioned before.

He means if the first post of a thread appears a t the start of every page of a thread.

Say having post 1 at the top of page 2 etc. As long as it stood out as being the OP then it could be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Oh no, no no.

Doctors differ etc.

This is the layout on another forum I frequent, and is counterintuitive and impossible to get used to.

A useful compromise would be if it could be selected as an option in UserCP, but other than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Maybe only for posts that get very large?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I can see why it might be useful on some types of threads, but in others I think it might cause confusion. Some threads have to be read fully in order to understand the flow of whats been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

A useful compromise would be if it could be selected as an option in UserCP, but other than that?

ftw

I admit it would be useless for the majority of threads as the opening post often becomes irrelivent.

Probably not worth the effort so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dan_21

Some points.

I am not suggesting this be a user option but a mod tool. If it was felt useful or needed a moderator could Stickie the first post(or insert A stickie first post????)

It is only usefull for really, really long threads. What use if there reading the whole unlock phones thread? Or the Full Dell threads?

In the Dell one for example Ruu could have the first post with the common Dell asked Questions like the link to the EEP. Or the current coupon being offered.

The first post in the Know your nerds thread could be stickied and used to reinforce the no chat thing. But once again it is only useful for super long threads. Not a 5 or 6 page one. But a 30+ type.

A certain type of border could identify the post to stop general confusion.

Roundmoony any chance of a link to that site via PM so I can see what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

A useful compromise would be if it could be selected as an option in UserCP

If it is possible this is the bast way. I'd like to be able to try it, I can see how it could be useful.

A Mod tool to clarify direction on overlong, not necessarily meandering threads is an interesting suggestion Dan, and one I hadn't considered from your OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I like the way the mod decides which thread get this feature. If it was on every thread it would mess with my head a bit too much. Good idea, don't know how hard it would be to implement though.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think it would be more useful if we just gave users the ability to edit their OP in a thread indefinitely thus allowing them to update it as necessary.

Or if the user who posted the thread was a fly-by-night, another user could take responsibility for the topic and post a new thread (with a mod request to close the old one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

CuLT wrote: »
    I think it would be more useful if we just gave users the ability to edit their OP in a thread indefinitely thus allowing them to update it as necessary.

Or if the user who posted the thread was a fly-by-night, another user could take responsibility for the topic and post a new thread (with a mod request to close the old one).

I think the point or suggestion is that it is not about the first post par se... but the fact that in a 50+ page thread that there is a "floating/sticky" post at the top of what ever page you choose. For example if you clicked on the last page in the Unlock mobiles one you would see a/the first(floating??) post on the top being the one with all the gathered and important info such as phones that can be unlocked and those that can't. Said ability could be further used to reinforce a charter or what ever. In the poker forum it could be a list of enterants in a tournie.

On a side note I saw something similar on another site but they used some sort of pop up window thing to do it. It was sort of a cookie based rules and info system. It avoided people saying i didn't know the rules etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

People can just open the first page in a new tab?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

Indeed they can

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055113165&page=168

Join the first post with the latest info.

Pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Right-click 'First' link. Open in new tab. For FF anyway.

Ass pain you much? :D
    Plan_D wrote: »
    Pain in the ass.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Plan_D wrote: »
    I think the point or suggestion is that it is not about the first post par se... but the fact that in a 50+ page thread that there is a "floating/sticky" post at the top of what ever page you choose. For example if you clicked on the last page in the Unlock mobiles one you would see a/the first(floating??) post on the top being the one with all the gathered and important info such as phones that can be unlocked and those that can't. Said ability could be further used to reinforce a charter or what ever. In the poker forum it could be a list of enterants in a tournie.

On a side note I saw something similar on another site but they used some sort of pop up window thing to do it. It was sort of a cookie based rules and info system. It avoided people saying i didn't know the rules etc.
    Ok, I think I'm following you; who is compiling this useful information? Where is it coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If anyone has used vb.org you will get the idea about the first post on every page!

Spankeh wrote: »
    If anyone has used vb.org you will get the idea about the first post on every page!
    Haven't seen any examples on vbulletin.org (unless you mean the modifications section, in which case I'm not sure that would apply well to general discussion threads).

But I understand the concept. What I don't yet gather is who is going to update this information, unless, as I mentioned, posters take responsibility for their thread, or moderators take on a lot more work in their forum and a diehard tenacity for their chosen interest (this would mean we'd probably have to dump out the mods who moderate forums they don't have an active interest in).

I don't think that's a bad thing, but I think it might be a bit of a system shock to the users of boards.ie.

Or maybe not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

How about if it was in the "title" attribute of the thread title, just like when you hover the mouse in the forum view? Like the attached image (only a bit neater!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

eoin_s wrote: »
    How about if it was in the "title" attribute of the thread title, just like when you hover the mouse in the forum view? Like the attached image (only a bit neater!).
    Not really, IMO. There are some issues with tooltips like that across browser as it is with the thread previews, and thats only a limited amount of text.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's not really an insurmountable problem though - perhaps an AJAX & DHTML solution would work better than the title attribute.

Advertisement