Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upstream Powerlevel too high

Options
  • 01-02-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Alright, someone may be able to throw some light on this. I've been having problems on and off over the last year, modem not connecting etc. etc., finally got an engineer out who changed the cable to the modem and it seemed fine for a couple of months.

Then back in december my modem wasn't connecting again. I'd been running the modem off a point in the bedroom through a splitter to which I could also connect the tv. Removed the splitter and connected the modem directly to the wall point, it connects no problem. So basically I can't use the tv and modem off this particular wall point anymore.

Got another engineer out who took a look at the modem configuration page, settings for upstream powerlevel showed 55 DBmv. I was told that this was too high and was causing issues (also that it may be causing problems in the area too [Lucan]), however its a problem which could be fixed by a network technician without needing access to the house.

Weeks later, countless telephone calls later to inept call center staff for UPC the problem still isn't resolved. They won't put you through to supervisors, they won't deal with complaints, they won't call you back, they say they don't know what the problem is or how to fix it!!!

Does anyone know how they should be looking at fixing this? Any ideas would be great, cause the next time I call them I'm going to explode with them and ask them what the hell they're doing to try to resolve it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I had a problem with low level. Got nowhere complaining about BB until I made a fuss about the TV signal being dire. They came out to fix that, and realised there was water in one of the junction boxes outside in the path. In fixing the TV they fixed the BB. From what I gather each box has a series of resistances on it that is balanced out down the loop to keep it in tolerance coming into your house. They can swap them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

My upstream power level is 55.5 dBmV. It used to be 61!!! When it was 61 I was having problems with the connection dropping. I moved it to another point in the house to get it from 61 to 55 . At the moment I am having no problems ( touch wood ). I would not be surprised if water in the box is affecting my connection too cause I always seem to have connection drops on and off for days, even weeks after very heavy rain. Where was it that the water was found?? Was it just outside your drive, or was it at the box for you street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Just outside the drive. it was like a metal junction box and there was a break in the manhole right about the junction box. It was the junction to my house. But he said when he changed the level in that box everything downstream of that on the loop would have to be adjust accordingly. I may not have the fact right as it was good while ago.

Advertisement