Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my personal experience...

Options
  • 01-02-2008 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Once I went to Turkey for a business trip, I was almost get killed in a restaurant. I told the waitress that I can't eat nuts, and guess what? The dish served contained nuts. My allergic reaction was so severe that my blood pressure quickly dropped and I couldn't breathe, I was rushed to hospital.... nightmare! "Life (almost) lost in Translation"!! :((

Now when traveling abroad I always get myself more prepared. Last year, I went to Shanghai. I printed out a wallet size traveling Chinese aid (not really a guide, basically a piece of paper folded into a neat wallet size booklet). It contains all those emergency Chinese sentences such as "I am allergic to xxx", "Where is ....", it's very handy. This travelers Chinese language guide can be downloaded here:

Chinese translate (The translated Chinese-English guide book is found at the bottom of the home page)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Cool, I'll add that link to the sticky. Well all I can say is don't trust free translators, they do not do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes the little translation note is a good idea.

Advertisement