Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis only doing 31mpg - Bad?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I bought a 04 1.6 Petrol Avensis last week (not the Merc or BMW afterall)

and since then I've done around 500 miles - a lot on open road and some on city routes.

The average MPG is only 31 - is this not very poor??

Slumped

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My car does 25 mpg, so Id be happy with yours. 31mpg would be the lower end of average (normally would be around 36mpg or so, from my understanding)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

avensis were always known to be VERY heavy on petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I have an 07 1.6 Avensis about a year now and get about 31mpg with strictly urban driving stuck in traffic. It shoots up to just over 40mpg if i can get onto open roads. how much city driving is included in your calculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The newer model Avensis is a heavy car and the 1.6 litre engine struggles. 31mpg is probably a little less than average. I had a 1.8 litre version and it returned around 32mpg.

It can also depend on where and how you drive the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

with the on board computer I've monitoring it and trying to maintain it above 35mpg

I'll monitor again this week and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Let this be a lesson to anyone who thinks small engines are good on fuel in big cars.

My dad has a 1.8 Avensis and it does 33-35 mpg in similar circumstances to what the OP mentioned, proof that small engines in big cars are a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

slumped wrote: »
    with the on board computer I've monitoring it and trying to maintain it above 35mpg

I'll monitor again this week and see.

Forget about the computer. The only reliable way to calculate mpg is to fill the tank, run it til empty and record the mileage. Then do your calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Elessar wrote: »
    Forget about the computer. The only reliable way to calculate mpg is to fill the tank, run it til empty and record the mileage. Then do your calculation.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

unkel wrote: »
    +1

+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My father-in-law's '05 1.6 does ~36-40. Mixed driving, probably 40% urban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Elessar wrote: »

That's the way I did it. Used the link posted here a few days ago.

On board computer shows a higher MPG.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

corglass wrote: »
    +2

+3

my 97 523i used to get better mpg than my mates 520i

also, I used to get around same mpg on my 1.8 156 as my sis's 1.6 156 if not better and even better mpg than her 1.4 146

Advertisement