Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyjamas?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Quality wrote: »
    Ehh, It personally makes me think that someone cannot be bothered to wash and dress themselves.. as for the school runs in the morning,,, How much effort does it take to take off a pyjamas and put on a tracksuit?? Do they also bother not to brush their teeth or change their underwear...

I thnk Knacker may be an appropriate word.

I wouldnt be caught dead in a tracksuit and runners. (unless training or running). I dont do either. I have a great body.
    I DO wash, clean teeth, change underwear...etc. My bathroom routine has nothing to do with it. Have you ever smelt some people on the bus/dart first thing in the morning? And they wear nice designer clothes on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I wouldnt be caught dead in a tracksuit and runners. (unless training or running). I dont do either. I have a great body.
    I DO wash, clean teeth, change underwear...etc. My bathroom routine has nothing to do with it. Have you ever smelt some people on the bus/dart first thing in the morning? And they wear nice designer clothes on top!

Why wouldn't you ever be seen dead in a track suit? Do you have the same associations with them as some people on here have with the PJs?

I think its more the perception wearing PJ's outside gives to people. People assume if they see someone outside in their PJ's that they wore them to bed and haven't changed cus after all PJ's traditionally seen as nightware. I'm sure alot of people who wear them do have PJ's they sleep in and PJ's they go out in, however the average person on the street sees them and tends to think are they the same night clothes they slept in?

With mums doing the mornings school runs it esp looks bad. I've a bunch of friends who do it and they admit its the clothes they wore to bed they wear dropping the kids off to school as they don't see the point in showering in a rush if they can drop the kids to school and come back and do it in peace. Sounds logical I guess cept if like the woman I mentioned above you car breaks down on the way. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

pjs are for bed when your sick and after work for on the couch with a cuppa and the feet up. id prob wear them to a 24 hour super market at like three in the morning but in the day time not sure if i would really think it would be draughty
    if nothing else esp with this weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 WildWood

I saw a guy in my local Dunnes last weekend in just his tartan pj's and slippers - it was hilarious!!

I've seem women do the pj thing alright, but generally with a pair of uggs on or at least a coat. This was the first time I'd ever seen a guy do it though. All I kept thinking of was how frozen he must have been, it was freeeezing outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Quality wrote: »
    Ehh, It personally makes me think that someone cannot be bothered to wash and dress themselves.. as for the school runs in the morning,,, How much effort does it take to take off a pyjamas and put on a tracksuit?? Do they also bother not to brush their teeth or change their underwear...

I thnk Knacker may be an appropriate word.

The dictionary defines a 'knacker' primarily as "a person who buys animal carcasses or slaughters useless livestock for a knackery or rendering works".

First, best of luck doing that in your pyjamas.

Second, do you enjoy being so overwhelmingly judgemental? Are you one of those people who spends a huge amount of time worrying about what other people think about you, mainly because you seem to be able to make such incredibly narrow minded, sweepingly dismissive assessments of people just because they drive their kids to school while still wearing their pyjamas?

And third: lol on the alleged interchangabilty of tracksuit vis a vis pyjamas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The dictionary defines a 'knacker' primarily as "a person who buys animal carcasses or slaughters useless livestock for a knackery or rendering works".

First, best of luck doing that in your pyjamas.

Second, do you enjoy being so overwhelmingly judgemental? Are you one of those people who spends a huge amount of time worrying about what other people think about you, mainly because you seem to be able to make such incredibly narrow minded, sweepingly dismissive assessments of people just because they drive their kids to school while still wearing their pyjamas?

now come on I think everyone knows that knacker is more commonly used in this country as a slang word - I'm not saying its right to use the word or that it applies to anyone on this thread but bringing up dictionary definition is a little silly.

Also if you look back over the whole thread you'll notice a couple of people used that word so don't go picking on Quality just cus her post was the last one. this thread is a judgemental thread by its very nature as its asking people for their opinions on what appears to be a dividing issue [thou not very dividing going by the poll results]

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Ok. Now Im bored with this topic. Its been done to the death imo. Off to get a new pair of jammies from the hot press!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

ztoical wrote: »
    I'm sure alot of people who wear them do have PJ's they sleep in and PJ's they go out in,

Lol really? hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My main intolerance of people wearing their pyjamas out during the day are not mainly the ones that drive their kids to school in them... Its the one that collect their kids from school in them, be that walking or driving. Also the ones who think it is ok to go to the supermarket in their pyjamas in the afternoon..

I dont take a huge amount of time worrying about my appearance. But I do like to "Wash myself, Change my underwear, Put on clean ironed clothes, Take a little bit of pride in my appearance."

I think this poll proves that 90% of people do not think that pyjamas are a new trend, and a lot of the comments here feel it is not appropriate to wear pjs during the day... Does this make us all narrow minded and overwhelmingly judgemental.. I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

ok lets not let this get into too much of a slagging match.

If you like wearing your pjs out and whatever... fair play to you for not caring what other people think.

If you don't like wearing your pjs out or whatever... fair play to you for not caring what other people think.

Its a personal choice and well if ya want to start berating people, take it to the dome. Any more and this thread will be close and bansticks shall be waved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

i work in a supermarket and you would see people at 2 or 3 in te day wearing pjs and we would be lauging at tem.the state oft them is unbelieving some people have no shame

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

I once saw a security guard in Tesco ask a woman to leave the shop because she was in her PJ's. He told her it was unhygenic..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Popsy wrote: »
    I once saw a security guard in Tesco ask a woman to leave the shop because she was in her PJ's. He told her it was unhygenic.....

:D Tee Hee! I suppose it is unhygienic if you're sleeping in them and then not changing. Do they shower and get back in to jammies they've slept in? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?!

I'm not a fan of people wearing jammies outside but by god I'd give anything to be sitting at home in mine now instead of work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

No I wouldn't not even to pop out to the shops or whatever, it only takes a few seconds to throw some jeans on so why not just do it.

As a lot of people seem to though, I have one exception, sometimes when we have the big window open in the sitting room, the dog runs up the couch and out the window! And if I'm in my PJ's I have no choice but to go chasing him in them (I can't waste precious seconds changing out of them because my dog is extremely stupid and just runs straight out in front of cars!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Leeby wrote: »
    No I wouldn't not even to pop out to the shops or whatever, it only takes a few seconds to throw some jeans on so why not just do it.

As a lot of people seem to though, I have one exception, sometimes when we have the big window open in the sitting room, the dog runs up the couch and out the window! And if I'm in my PJ's I have no choice but to go chasing him in them (I can't waste precious seconds changing out of them because my dog is extremely stupid and just runs straight out in front of cars!)

Oh! And also once when I was about ten, morning after a slumber party, we all went to the newsagent in our PJ's and sleeping bags, we thought we were hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

watna wrote: »
    :D Tee Hee! I suppose it is unhygienic if you're sleeping in them and then not changing. Do they shower and get back in to jammies they've slept in? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?!

I'm not a fan of people wearing jammies outside but by god I'd give anything to be sitting at home in mine now instead of work!

meh, i frequently sleep in the same clothes and then get up and do another day in them. not so much anymore, but i definitely go through phases of it, particularly if im drinking alot. im pretty sure myp ersonal hygiene wasnt a threat to any supermarkets though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

i have to agree with most on here, pjs are for bed, i love mine have to say but I wouldnt go out in there,they could just throw on a tracksuit or something its ridiculous going out to do the shopping in them in my opinion, for gods sake you cant get a whole outfit in penneys for like €15,so its not as if they cant afford some clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Yes I have.
    Kind of.

I worked in argos and for the launch of our new catolouge we all dressed in our jammies.
    It was a saturday and I was going out that night, so on the way home I ran into shopping centre to get a top to wear out, then popped into dunnes for milk.

Needless to say I got a lot of very funny looks but I'm pretty much shameless so I just looked at them as if they were teh one with the problem!

I'd love to go out in my jammies on a mad session though... Maybe during rag week. Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Oh dear.... Now all the impressionables will think its cool

http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/dos-and-donts/default.aspx?id=90720

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I thought I'd seen it all until I saw a woman cycling in her pjs the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

vektarman wrote: »
    I thought I'd seen it all until I saw a woman cycling in her pjs the other day.

Ha ha.

Still haven't seen that much of it to be honest. A few but not for a while now. Maybe depends where you live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I have seen it a lot lately, and for some reaaon it really bothers me. Cant for the love of god understand why people do it. Well its obviously pure laziness.

Whats more annoying is they seem to think there really cool:rolleyes:

Advertisement