Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Save me Linux!

• 01-02-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I need your help. Badly. It's about the UNIX file system.

I'm the (not especially proud) owner of a six month old macbook that has to get sent back to Apple because 1) My DVD burner is broken and loud as a tumbledrier and 2) a crack appeared overnight in the casing (seemingly not an isolated problem http://blueeyedcreature.net/apple/CrackBook.jpg looks identical to mine, but I digress).

Because I can't use the DVD burner to back up all my files before I send away the laptop I bought a portable hard disk to use instead (a 160 gig Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini).
    • If I format the hard disk to use the UNIX file format, can my family's Windows XP PC running a live CD copy of Ubuntu read the disk?
    • And can it burn the contents onto CDs, without the need for any more drivers?

(I ask as I am about 99% sure windows XP doesn't know the difference between a UNIX file systemed USB hard disk and a stale egg mayonnaise sandwich jammed in there by a malicious 4 year old).

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I seem to recall having some difficulties with read / write permission on a fat32 drive. Think it should be ok if it's formatted as ext3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Windows wont give you any love for ext3 AFAIK. Fat32 or NTFS is the way to format the external drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Accessing ext2 is possible thru windows with software, but ext3 is not AFAIK. Looked in2 it before but never did it. NTFS would be the way to go.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

http://www.fs-driver.org/ has a ext3 driver for windows. Tried it before without a problem. If not go for ntfs as above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

In the Mac disk utility menu it doesn't give you multiple choices about the table, asside from 3 different variations of formatting it for Mac OS X it only offers "Unix file format", and doesn't specify if it is EXT2 or EXT3. I'll try and find out which it would use.

I've tried connecting it to the PC running windows XP - no luck (as expected), and unfortunately I've had no luck connecting it to the same PC booted from a live CD of Ubuntu (v4.10), the only Live CD I have lying around.

I couldn't find any information in the Ubuntu help files on mounting a USB hard disk, it only refers to floppies. (I should point out I've never tried mounting a disk in Linux, live or otherwise, ever, so I'm only going by the help files. I couldn't navigate to /etc/fstab either.)

Could it be that the distro is too old to recognise EXT2 / EXT3? Or that the "UNIX file system" that Mac OS X disk utility offers is something different to either? (According to http://www.intuitive.com/blog/ubuntu_linux_yellowdog_linux_and_mac_os_x_all_on_one_powerbook.html "Mac OS X doesn’t include native support for ext2 and ext3 file systems" but I might not be reading that the right way)

I'm thinking of trying to again with a different distro, such as Puppy Linux, but would be eager to hear what anyone else thinks could be the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You could just go with one of the 'Mac OS X' formats - Ubuntu can read and write HFS+ partitions:
    HOWTO: Mount an OS X Hard Drive from a Ubuntu LiveCD

Advertisement