Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nail Varnish Advice?

• 01-02-2008 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice on nail varnish really!

I've started to properly grow and look after my nails and they are coming along brilliantly. I've just one problem.

When i put nail varnish on (usually clear), i end up picking it off on the same day!! This generally only happens when it begins to chip or bubble and this week i've had to apply it nearly every second day.
    I know the picking it off bit is probably my own habit but is there any varnishs out there that don't crack or bubble?
    Preferably ones that don't cost the earth. I've been using just no 17 one, to start with.

Thanks!!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

rimmel ones can be good. I use a top coat by sally hansen its diamond something so you dont have to buy expensive polish just add this over it and it helps it last longer. To avoid bubbling let one coat dry properly before adding another.

If you have time to do a french manicure (i use the rimmel tip whitener and pink coating), the effort of doing it might deter you from picking at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

i do this as well.im in he same boat..have always bitten my nails and am ketting them grow and wearing varnish stops me picking at them,but i can only wear clear during the week so i end up picking that off cos it doesnt matter as ya cant see..its so annoying..the french manicure is a good tip,but i have to keep mine shortish at he mo,cos ill pick them off,so a french manicure wouldnt really look right..any other tips???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Wahoo i'm not the only one with this problem!!!

Just a tip on growing them - i started using a hand cream each night, sticking in on last thing before getting into bed. Find it helps them grow and strenghten them.

I'd love to do a french manicure but sadly i'm not blessed in the steady hand skills!! I might but a bit by each week and treat myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

After you paint the length of the nail seal the color by a brush stroke across the top of the nail. This should also reach the top underside of the nail tip if your nails are long. If they are short you may need to just clean up the fingertip by using a cotton stick dipped in NV remover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I use Nails Inc. nail varnishes. You can get them in Brown Thomas. €14 each.. but if you're looking for something that doesn't chip then you'll have to pay the price unfortunately!

Oh and Bourjois are most definitely the worst nail polishes I have ever used. For example I'd paint my nails that night, they'd be bone dry, I'd wake up the next morning and they're already chipped!? So you can imagine how they looked by the end of the day. I was amazed..gave them the benefit of the doubt but happened every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

fuzzywiggle do you know if Nails Inc do white for French manicure tips? I'm looking for a white nail varnish that doesn't crack and look like an old plate after a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheEx

well done on being off the nail biting, I'm off biting mine about three weeks, and they look fab! I'm using two coats Mac and a mavala topcoat, the topcoat really does the trick. Try to cease picking, and take up a hand & cuticle moisturising habit instead, the continuous picking will take its toll on your cuticles... Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

I tried growing my nails and they always became incredibly dirty underneath...the dirt lodged....cleaning the underneath then weakened the nails and I ended up cutting them... How does one keep the underneath of longer nails clean?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Filan wrote: »
    I tried growing my nails and they always became incredibly dirty underneath...the dirt lodged....cleaning the underneath then weakened the nails and I ended up cutting them... How does one keep the underneath of longer nails clean?....

I'm not trying to be smart but I shower everyday and have no problem with dirt under my nails and they're long.
    fuzzywiggle do you know if Nails Inc do white for French manicure tips? I'm looking for a white nail varnish that doesn't crack and look like an old plate after a couple of days.

I'm not sure..I've never manicure. I'd would imagine they do though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

I was probably cleaning them incorrectly....and not wearing gloves often enough....am going to attempt it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I'm the same as Fuzzywiggle - have long nails and no problems keeping them clean and I don't wear gloves either. Then again I sit in front of a computer all day so they don't really have much of a chance to get dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

I can't recommend the MAC nailvarnish enough.

Not sure what price it is in the shops as I usually buy mine on Ebay for about 10EUR a go.

Stupid Question - If i just wanted to use clear nail varnish, is a top coat better or is clear and top coat the same thing?

god i sound like such a nail polish virgin!

:mad: Well i did it again! Put it on and picked it off within a day!!!!

Does anyone know what the best Sally hansen one is? Preferably one that doesn't chip?

I won't be able to make it into BT's for that other one.

Thank you all.

Advertisement