Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I make bread 'stale'..quickly!

• 01-02-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a roast chicken for dinner tonight... am putting the bird in the oven at 5:30, and I'm going to stuff it.
    Ting is - just bought the bread for the stuffing... it's too soft.

Any tips? Microwave it? Oven it? Lightly toast it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd slice it and leave it somewhere warm, like the hot press maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Definitely not the microwave, that'll only make it soggy.
    If it was me, and Alun's plan hadn't worked to the sufficient staleness, i'd stick it in the oven for a bit...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use fresh bread for stuffing, I don't think it makes any difference really. And the breadcrumbs you buy in the supermarket are always fresh too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I use fresh bread for stuffing, I don't think it makes any difference really. And the breadcrumbs you buy in the supermarket are always fresh too.
    It depends a bit on how you make the breadcrumbs. If you do it by hand and use really fresh bread you can end up with little doughy bits. Personally, I do it in the food processor, a bit at a time, and even with relatively fresh bread you get pretty decent crumbs although they tend to be quite coarse. If you want finer breadcrumbs, stale bread is yer only man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well it's upstairs snuggling with my pillowcases, so will see how that works out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Just lay the slices out across the kitchen table or worktop, they actually start to go hard at the edges and curl slightly really quickly. If the bread is really fresh (as in baked today) it might take a little longer so I'd lay the slices out on a baking tray and stick them in a low oven (50 C max) for a few minutes each side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hot press wasn't warm enough... so lashed them on the radiator.

Wasn't ideal, but it still tasted great - Everyone ate it anyway! :D

Thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,700 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I had to use bread ccrumbs for a macaroni cheese bake - I figured since I was already grating 2 blocks of cheese for it I'd go ahead and grate the bread using the superfine grate-holes. Worked great. No doughy bits either: just get a big clump of bread in your hands and grate away.

My arm is sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

olaola wrote: »
    Hot press wasn't warm enough... so lashed them on the radiator.

Wasn't ideal, but it still tasted great - Everyone ate it anyway! :D

Thanks for the tips!

I'm laughing at the vision of you taking slices of bread out of the airing cupboard and placing them on the radiators!!! Weird mental picture!:)

Advertisement