Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my first heavy build

Options
  • 01-02-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

my first real hardcore pc.

finally got it finished.

specs are

next lexa blue
    qx6700 with blue orb cooler
    asus striker
    4gb mushkin redline 800
    xfx 8800gt 512mb
    150gb raptor
    2 x 500gb
    22" dell monitor
    700w modular seasonic psu

quick shot of the case
    dscf0056zs9.jpg

and here's the other bits
    dscf0057gi0.jpg

what ive done is modded the window and put 3 more 120mm fans on it.
    makes a huge airflow.

dscf0060pd8.jpg

here's the inside's.
    the ram cooler is excellent. lovely blue fans on it when its running.

dscf0063xg3.jpg

dscf0067ix8.jpg

dscf0061zi8.jpg

here's the 3 harddrives with akasa harddrive cooler's.
    they make a huge difference. ive got a 120mm fan sucking air out the front from the harddrives. with the cooler's on them the temps dropped by 11 degree's!

dscf0062th8.jpg

few dvd burner's and my fan controller
    dscf0065ju2.jpg

outside of case lit up
    dscf0069lr5.jpg

dscf0072lw3.jpg

dscf0073td9.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is it just the way the camera is or does the case get covered in figerprints very easily? Nice build all the same man, nice and clean, enjoy it :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

yoyo wrote: »
    Is it just the way the camera is or does the case get covered in figerprints very easily? Nice build all the same man, nice and clean, enjoy it :)

Nick

yeah its covered in finger prints :P

buying some metal cleaning fluid later on when i get into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not a bad rig at all m8, but there's one thing i noticed.................

Any airflow in that case at all? You say you got 120mm fans blowing air from the hd's out the front, where is the hot air from the cpu going? Are you Blowing out the back also?

nh_u12_case_airflow_1.jpg

The most efficient way to aircool is to take cold air in the front (usually) and to get it quickly out the rear exhaust fan. This is why most cases have their exhaust fan near the cpu socket & front fans blowing in cool air. I dont have a side fan for the reason that i believe they reduce the airflow by causing interfering currents & scattering the air all round the case which i find doesn't help cpu temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I dunno if that cooler is good enough for the quad core.. I could be wrong but those fans arent the best..?

Also new desk is in order the one you have is tiny :P

Other than that its pretty sweet nice and clean the way it should be for anyone who builds a computer!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not a bad rig at all m8, but there's one thing i noticed.................

Any airflow in that case at all? You say you got 120mm fans blowing air from the hd's out the front, where is the hot air from the cpu going? Are you Blowing out the back also?

nh_u12_case_airflow_1.jpg

The most efficient way to aircool is to take cold air in the front (usually) and to get it quickly out the rear exhaust fan. This is why most cases have their exhaust fan near the cpu socket & front fans blowing in cool air. I dont have a side fan for the reason that i believe they reduce the airflow by causing interfering currents & scattering the air all round the case which i find doesn't help cpu temperatures.

its got 4 120mm fans on the window blowing in. 120mm fan at the back blowing out.
    120mm fan at front of hd's blowing out.
    80mm fan at top and 80mm fan at bottom of case both blowing out.
    dazftw wrote: »
    I dunno if that cooler is good enough for the quad core.. I could be wrong but those fans arent the best..?

Other than that its pretty sweet nice and clean the way it should be for anyone who builds a computer!

dazftw i replaced all fans in the case with some pretty decent ones. all have speed control's aswel. the case fans wernt great. i kept 2 for the blue led's but thats all.

yeah the desk sucks :D its about 7 years old now.

the blue orb is great for the quad. ive had it clocked to 3.2ghz and temps didnt rise a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Noot bad at all. I read the bluorb is not able to handle overclocked quads. Also, you have more air comming in then going out. So you might wanna take out the black fan on the window. As with more air comming in then going out causes a heat buildup. Install coretemp to monitor that cpu. Last thing you want is for it to die on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

dazftw wrote: »

lol mine is way smaller...small desks suck balls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

but yea thats a really nice computer :)

Anti wrote: »
    Noot bad at all. I read the bluorb is not able to handle overclocked quads. Also, you have more air comming in then going out. So you might wanna take out the black fan on the window. As with more air comming in then going out causes a heat buildup. Install coretemp to monitor that cpu. Last thing you want is for it to die on you.

was thinking that. so usually i have only 2 of the 120mm fans running on the window. but after playing supreme commander for 8 hours last night the ambient temp inside the case didnt go above 44 degree's and cpu temps stayed well below 50 degree's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

lol should see my desk I have now while im moving house its like same size as yours ill have to post up a picture haha

What stepping did you get on the Quad anyway?

Cant wait to get mine and my new board :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

but after playing supreme commander for 8 hours last night the ambient temp inside the case didnt go above 44 degree's and cpu temps stayed well below 50 degree's.

:eek: My case temp is never over 32'c, & i've got 1x120mm front, 1x120mm rear & 1x120mm in cpu cooler, thats all. You've just prooved your just blowing your heat round the place, not getting it out of the case as fast as possible. My case temp is taken by a probe attached to the case metal to the top of the mobo which is not affected by wind chill.

What are you using to measure the temps of your case & also your quad? Sorry for being a critic, but like Anti, I've heard that the bluorb isn't up to handling a quad, even at stock speeds.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :eek: My case temp is never over 32'c, & i've got 1x120mm front, 1x120mm rear & 1x120mm in cpu cooler, thats all. You've just prooved your just blowing your heat round the place, not getting it out of the case as fast as possible. My case temp is taken by a probe attached to the case metal to the top of the mobo which is not affected by wind chill.

What are you using to measure the temps of your case & also your quad? Sorry for being a critic, but like Anti, I've heard that the bluorb isn't up to handling a quad, even at stock speeds.

case temps are being measured inside and out. like yourself im using probes attached inside and out on the metal case.

cpu temps are read by the orb and also the mobo.
    i know they arnt as accurate as id like but what can ya do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Looks nice - apart from the fingerprints. :p.

Nice mouse BTW - comfy!

cpu temps are read by the orb and also the mobo.
    i know they arnt as accurate as id like but what can ya do.

Actually, only temp i trust is core temp, once i've checked its accuracy with everest or Tat. As soon as i get a similar reading i feel can trust it, and not till then. I never trust any motherboard temperture utility or speedfan. Definitely wouldn't trust the orb, its measuring outside the chip which will always be cooler than coretemp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Nice speakers :p

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Nice speakers :p

lol they came free with my gf's laptop :D and the monitor from dell.

do you see the dent in them?? im sending them back on monday.

Fnz wrote: »
    Looks nice - apart from the fingerprints. :p.

Nice mouse BTW - comfy!

yeah lol it cost me 100 euro! but its amazing on gaming :)

44c case temp !!!! Man thats not good. Thats really bad. That means you have a heat buildup.take off another fan on the side. Just the one over the gfx card will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Conar

I'm currently using a blue orb on an E6600 (cos I just can't get the time to install my damn watercooling) and it keeps the CPU temps nice and low.
    It's OC'd to 3.2GHz and it idles in the 20's and hits 50 just about when orthos has been running for a while.
    Can't comment on the quads yet unfortunately.

I agree with the lads on airflow though.
    Your temps seem way to high in there.
    I never use side fans any more as I've always found they raise temps or make no difference.
    Never really had them giving me any benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2x80mm front fans and one rear 120mm fan for me :)

Nice machine....I think you've heard enough in the line of criticism! :D

• Advertisement

ok last night i swopped the fans around a bit. the front, rear, top and bottom are now blowing air in. and the window fans are blowing air out.

am gonna see how this works and change if needed.

havok, lol it might be critisism but its positive in giving me info and help on changing the case :D

I dunno if your new setup will work well mate. Ideally it should be air in from the front/side. And blown out the top and back. But i think with your setup there is more air comming in then going out.Having 80mm fans dosent help either. Throw on core temp and keep an eye on that cpu too. Dont trust the onboard sensor on the hsf, it might not be accurate.

Anti wrote: »
    I dunno if your new setup will work well mate. Ideally it should be air in from the front/side. And blown out the top and back. But i think with your setup there is more air comming in then going out.Having 80mm fans dosent help either. Throw on core temp and keep an eye on that cpu too. Dont trust the onboard sensor on the hsf, it might not be accurate.

good idea +1 ill give it some thought and keep close watch on them.
    might need to re-think the airflow. but honestly the temps seem pretty decent for whats inside. its all well within the safe zone for the components.

just need to shift a bit more dead air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I have the same case as royal marine with 120mm side fan blowing in, 120mm exhaust at the back, 80mm exhaust at the top and 120mm at the front blowing in with a 800mm vent at the bottom (no fan). I have a very hot 8800gts which i am recommended to put a 100mm fan attached to the thermaltake heatsink on it-this means the fan will be blowing hot air to the bottom of the case (this is where i am confused as i think that would be bad)

Will this fan on my gts just be messing up the airflow? Is there any recommendations as to how to get maximum airflow while my gts is kept cool (other than buying water cooling=) Im trying to picture the most efficient way but there are a number of variables that i need to get my head around and i dont know much about computers as of yet.

I was thinking of putting a 80mm at the bottom of the case (blowing) but it doesnt really face the gts heatsink. Or maybe put the side 120mm to exhaust as it is right by the gts heatsink? Im kinda stuck with ideas to be honest. Some expert advice is needed as this is my first build.

Advertisement