Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restrict a user to ~

• 01-02-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if there's a way to properly do this, or if it even should be done, but here goes.

Is there a way to restrict a user so that they only have RW access within their home directory? ie, not even R access outside that directory.

I'm not a pro with *nix, but wouldn't this mean that they wouldn't be able to run apps installed outside their home dir? (if this is the case it wouldn't make much sense to do it at all)

edit:

Actually, we could remove SSH access for that user, but then we'd still want to know how to only allow S/FTP access to a particular folder.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Restricting ftp access should be no problem. It will be a configuration option in the ftp daemon you use. Have you one in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

I hadn't thought of which ftp daemon to use, I'm not even sure if there is one running already.

Actually, just tried FTPing to it, and it looks to be vsFTPd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

Jaeger wrote: »
    I'm not a pro with *nix, but wouldn't this mean that they wouldn't be able to run apps installed outside their home dir? (if this is the case it wouldn't make much sense to do it at all)

I think you answered your own question there!
    Actually, we could remove SSH access for that user, but then we'd still want to know how to only allow S/FTP access to a particular folder.

That's different. You can severly restrict people with a combination of ftp settings and chroot jails (man chroot). Anonymous ftp is done this way - the person ftping in has access to the appropriate file directory and nothing else...

Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Thanks for the replies lads.

In the end removed access SSH access for all but two users, and editted the vsftpd.conf to uncomment chroot_local_user=yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

you could use chroot on their account, not just through vsftp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement