Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Realistic Medal hopes in Bejing?

• 01-02-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Heffernan or O'Keeffe?
    Anyone else?
    Has Hession, O'Rourke, Gillick or anyone else a chance of reaching a final.
    How about Fagan. Got the marathon qualifying time in style a couple of weeks back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Heffernan or O'Keeffe?

Probably main contenders alright for medals.
    Has Hession, O'Rourke, Gillick or anyone else a chance of reaching a final.
    Hession will find it hard as the 200 is so hot at the moment. DOR is an outside bet for a final and if she is in shape for a final anything is possible. Gillick will have to go a bit under 45 to final and he is well capable of going sub 45.

On times and potential I'd add Cragg. Also, the steepchase ladies are pretty good bets for the final too and maybe Roisin a top 8 in the final. The mens 4 x 400 relay could final if they actually all get their in one piece and qualify.
    How about Fagan. Got the marathon qualifying time in style a couple of weeks back?
    It's hard to know but I'd say he can run faster than Dubai.

And the total outside bet would be for Dave Campbell to win the 1500 with a Fermin Cacho style break with 200m to go and win in 3:38!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

I don't want to be controversial but realistically I think we're looking at the number of people who can make finals but if medals were to materialise I think the most likely candidates to be Cragg and O'Keeffe with Heffernan the best of the rest.

I don't want to be controversial but realistically I think we're looking at the number of people who can make finals but if medals were to materialise I think the most likely candidates to be Cragg and O'Keeffe with Heffernan the best of the rest.

Nothing controversial there. Repeat of Osaka with maybe a 4th top 8 would be a good Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

Realistically, I think we have almost no chance of a medal, but would be good achievement if we got 4 or 5 finalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

A few questions.
    1: Dave Campbell.I don't really know much about this chap. Anyone with some details?
    2: Is the reason the steeplechase girls will reach the final because it will be a straight final?
    3: What is the name of the young chap and the young girl that done well in the high jump a few years back. Are they both completely gone off the radar?
    4: I heard Jerry Kiernan saying that Hession could qualify for a 100m final. Will he run both events?

• Advertisement

A few questions.
    1: Dave Campbell.I don't really know much about this chap. Anyone with some details?
    2: Is the reason the steeplechase girls will reach the final because it will be a straight final?
    3: What is the name of the young chap and the young girl that done well in the high jump a few years back. Are they both completely gone off the radar?
    4: I heard Jerry Kiernan saying that Hession could qualify for a 100m final. Will he run both events?

Campbell is training with Nic Bideau in Austrailia (Sonia's partner). He is in a group with Craic Mottram and a load of the top Aussies. He has great potential but Bejing may be too soon. He could be a finalist at 800 or 1500 though if he can just progress as much as he did last season. Very classy runner in a Seb Coe mould. He still doesnt have the A standard but everyone is presuming he will get it easily.

Steeple won't be a straight final and both girls would fancy their chances of making it. There may be a 3rd - Maria McCambridge - but not sure if she will get the standard.

High Jumpers are Adrian O' Dwyer and he is nowhere to be seen. Female is Deirdre Ryan and she is still competing but a little bit off her best. She still may come good but unlikely.

Hession probably has better chance of making final in 100 as 200 is so good at the moment, but dunno which he will choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

A few questions.

That's a tad cynical! Considering Róisin McGettigan was ranked 8th in the world last year by 'Track and Field' news, and came a superb 2nd in the World Athletics final, leaving Volkova in her wake, I think she's more than deserving of a top 8 place in the final. Fionnuala Britton, while lackiing the experience of McGettigan, is a class performer in her own right, and I wouldn't be suprized if she breaks inside 9.40 this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

Tingle wrote: »
    He still doesnt have the A standard but everyone is presuming he will get it easily.

The A standard is 3:36.60. Campbell's PB is 3:40.25. 3 and a half seconds is a tall order - he might do it but it's far from certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

yeah but the 800 A standard is 1.46 and his pb from last year is 1.46.05.

I reckon if he stays fit he will definitely get the 800 time and maybe even the 1500 time

ss43 wrote: »
    The A standard is 3:36.60. Campbell's PB is 3:40.25. 3 and a half seconds is a tall order - he might do it but it's far from certain.

The 800 he is almost there with that and yes the 1500 is a bit to go but he has lightly raced at 15 and anyone who saw him destroy the field in Cork last year can't be but impressed and believe he will go much faster. He has run that PB in the middle of his heavy winter work so when he gets fast in the spring it should come, who knows he may not be aiming for the 15 as well as the 8 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

ss43 wrote:
    Hopefully Liam Reale can get back near his 3.38 PB from Gothenburg two years ago, and make a challenge for the A standard too.
    Tingle wrote: »
    anyone who saw him destroy the field in Cork last year can't be but impressed and believe he will go much faster
    I'll second that.

Advertisement