Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What keeps you sane in sixth year?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm normally ok at doing study and work and stuff cause i have a big goal for the end of the leaving cert (high points 550+)
    But two weeks before the mocks, i don't know what happened, i kinda "lost my spark" so to speak. I'm not enjoying anything anymore...
    i'm finding it hard to sit down and do my work, now my mocks have been fine so far, easy peasy, but i want my motivation back.

What i'm asking is, what do you do to stay sane, motivated and, most importanly, Happy in sixth year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Veteran LC'er here ;) Just take it easy and make time to relax at the weekends. Yeah, it's important enough - but honestly I didn't kill myslef til the last 2-3 months and still managed to over-shoot the points I needed for my course.

1st mistake most people make: overly-ambitious strict study time-tables. Spread your work out with nice achievable goals and it'll be over before you know it.
    And don't get caught up in this whole 'turn off your phone, cut yourself off etc' bull they give you. You dictate your own study, different methods for different students.

I stayed motivated by seeing the craic others were having in college (I did TY) and looking at the potential colleges etc And now I'm in where I wanted to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Same thing that usually keeps me sane. Xanax and Zoloft.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 katiewobbles

Same thing that usually keeps me sane. Xanax and Zoloft.

What are they?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I feel the same as the OP. I'm also looking for high points but I've lost my spark this year. I mean, I still get very high marks in class tests and that, but the stuffs not sticking like it used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Making sure to have a laugh with friends at school and stuff, and just relax!! :DOh yeah and think of the fun you'll have next year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Lets form a club of "a lost spark" ..
    same problem here :( eh.. no clue of what to do.. i kind of dont care as much as i used to.. makes me afraid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aliDB

i did my lc last year and i know what you're talkin about. i find that everyone gets periods like that, where you just think, 'uh, really not that bothered', a loss of motivation as you say.. but i think the best thing to do is just let it pass. i mean ur bound to feel like this for a bit once in a while, especially if u'v been over-working the past while.. but by the sounds of you, ur obviously not the type of person who's going to completely lose their motivation forever - even the fact that ur worried about it shows that! so dont worry.
    after a while of feeling a bit of a lay back with ur efforts/enthusiasm in school, what i find is that you start to miss your previous vigour and all of a sudden ur spark returns and you're thinkin 'god, i cant WAIT to go get back into things now'..it gives you a whole new lease of life so to speak! so, what im saying really is, don't worry, accept that you're not really fellin the 'spark' right now (!), soon enough you'll return to a zealous studious state! give yourself a break and don't wreck yourself with worry, as soon as you finish the leaving you'll realise that it wasnt such a big deal after all!
    good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

My interest in school has waned during my six years in secondary school.

From 1st year ~ Getting upset over getting a B in my Christmas French exam

To 6th year ~ Sketching cabaret outfits for Oscar Wilde whlie my pretentious bat of an English teacher gives out "consciously erudite" obfuscated notes.

I still have my interests in school though. Sciences are my forte, because stuff like cyclotrons, positrons, the Calvin cycle, intramolecular forces, they all fascinate me, y'know? And I love Spanish (I'm so much of a geek that I have a subscription to El Pais). But, however much I'd /like/ the glory of getting 600 points, I'm not wasting time and energy faking love of or skill in certain other subjects.

I'd rather play guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

am kind like KaKi

got into the A class in first year (had a 87% average, was unhappy with it lol)

generally my results go up and down, can't work hard in everything so I work in what i enjoy.
    Go well in physics,applied maths and Tech drawing.
    Ok in english, maths and accounting
    poor in irish (been to the gealtach, can speak it and understand it well. What is messing me up in all the writing (its as much learning and writing as English)

i do get distraced while studying and play guitar.
    My ipod is also my god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

awww.. all those predicitons that ipods will rule humans are comming true!!
    Save ur selves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

plan something really fun, justa little thing even like the cinema with a group of friends or something for every four nights.

plan what you want to get done before the event and that'll be your goal.

and when your out, don't talk about the exams....study when your studying but when you not,try to completely distract yourself from thinking about them

worked great for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

2 Major things I did was to keep a copy of the UL Prospectus on my study desk to remind me what I was sitting there for and the second thing was to print out a large "JUNE 20TH" page and stick it up in front of me (The day I was to finish the LC).

Basically, I'd do those two things and maybe stick a few pic's up of your friends, family, whatever. Try and organise a holiday or something to look forward to in the summer, for me it was a certain music festival ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Xanax and Zoloft.

:D
    DELISH
    but my home made prozac needs more ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

It's all so damn crazy man. Look around. It's feckin madness! Everyone has gone insane, and since insanity is defined by the majority, technically, you're insane!
    Uh... hey Cokehead, can I get some of that Xanax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Boards!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jay P wrote: »
    Boards!!!!

i concur :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

I'm not so much part of the 'lost motivation' club but more in the 'never had it to begin with' club...

I pay attention in class, do 'study' after school and whatnot, really just get the homework done for the most part! Otherwise I've not really done all that much...save for extra work in English 'cos it's something I enjoy :P I figure it'll hit me at some stage (preferably before the orals), until then haphazard note making and going to gigs at weekends is something that will continue...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I never had to 'stay sane' I suppose. Every Sunday was me-time and thats about it. Spent the whole day at my mates house or otherwise. Saturday was a chores day and the week was for near-fulltime schooling.

It also helps that I chose to go into 6th year I guess. The only year I ever had a perfect attendance :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

melboix wrote: »
    I'm not so much part of the 'lost motivation' club but more in the 'never had it to begin with' club...

I pay attention in class, do 'study' after school and whatnot, really just get the homework done for the most part! Otherwise I've not really done all that much...save for extra work in English 'cos it's something I enjoy :P I figure it'll hit me at some stage (preferably before the orals), until then haphazard note making and going to gigs at weekends is something that will continue...
    It may never 'hit' you, and if you think that you don't have to do any work until then, that's a very bad idea.

You have to do the work regardless whether it 'hits' you or not, study isn't fun, very few people enjoy it. It just has to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Oh, no, I'm doing work just not as much as I feel I should be. I expect the load to increase regardless of whether it hits me really, I think I'd just be more enthusiastic about it if it did XD

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

prison break lost and jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

^^ yup tuesday nites on tv!!
    gabrielle keeps me going :) and of course prison break, lost, panel, movies etc....

also getting seriously drunk twice a month

Going to Crete in June.......something to look forward to

planning leaving cert prank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Fortunetly for me I don't need anything to keep me sane because I am a massive NERD (hence the name) and I love learning. But if I feel I need a break.. I love cooking or reading or listening to music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

What do i do to sane sane.. hmm..
    • Watch House & Prison Break
    • Laughing about how screwed i am for exams
    • Taking the odd day off
    • Going for a few pints
    • Watching a good inspirational movie

Thats what keeps me going. That and caffeine. Lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mary-g

hey can anyone comfort me and tell me that its not that bad doing really crap in the mocks and that it'll make me study more! ive got the lc blues!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

thank you!!! i def failer more then 2 maybe 3!! im seriouslt crappin the lc now!!! yuck!! oh well time to get down and do the dirty work!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mary-g wrote: »
    thank you!!! i def failer more then 2 maybe 3!! im seriouslt crappin the lc now!!! yuck!! oh well time to get down and do the dirty work!!:D

and time to practice your spelling & grammar ;)

Needs to be said - practice at every opportunity!

• Advertisement

lol thats just because i type fast and dont bother looking at the screen!! hows this?:D

Advertisement