Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out - few questions.

• 01-02-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

So I'm thinking of giving the American Football a shot. We have a college team (Carlow IT) and they're throwing up notices looking for players.

Only problem is they're looking for lads at 15- 16 stone + , which might be a slight dis-advantage as I'm only 180lb. That aside, every sport I've played has been physical enough; boxing,gaelic,hurling,rugby, I can give and take a hit, getting into the weight lifting and am fast enough.

So what position would I be best suited for if I turn up? No problem getting stuck in - but I have to keep my size/frame in mind.

Tbh I never had an interest in it - but it's about time I try something new. I'm reading up on it now, and starting on Tuesday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You can certainly play WR/CB at 180. My son played CB at 130. The game seems to taking off at college level here. Soon it will replace rugby. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

At your weight you could play wr, safety, cornerback, linebacker, running back etc. What height are you cos that is obviously important with weight. The reason they're looking for heavy guys is that getting linemen is the hardest thing for most teams, i know cos I have to do it every year.

The smallest guy in the league is barely 5'1 and hits like a bloody train, the tallest is 7'2. There's guys who weigh from about 8 stone to guys who are 27 stone. If you're willing to play there's a position for you, speed will determine where you play

Who's behind the team in Carlow and is it kitted or flag? I don't think they've told the IAFL they're looking to set up a team, in terms of coaching and so on they should be informing the league asap that they're doing this. I know there's a couple of guys who play who are going to college in Carlow so they're probably behind it.

The thing to remember is there's a lot of technique involved and you'll have to unlearn some stuff you've learn in other sports such as rugby in terms of tackling and to an extent how to catch the ball. The boxing will stand to you for blocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

jdivision wrote: »

Who's behind the team in Carlow and is it kitted or flag? I don't think they've told the IAFL they're looking to set up a team, in terms of coaching and so on they should be informing the league asap that they're doing this. I know there's a couple of guys who play who are going to college in Carlow so they're probably behind it.

Chris Gisty Cullen has been advising them on how to approach league etc etc think he is going to give them a dig out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeah, they just became friends with our bebo site so flag this year and kitted next year (maybe)

Advertisement